Add new hard drive and create array

I currently have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a WD 74GB Raptor drive. I'd
like to add an additional drive and raid them. I would be using the
motherboard controller for the raid setup and most likely raid 0.

Will I lose all my data if I add the new drive and create raid?

"MEM" <mmaxsom@citlink.net> wrote in message
> I currently have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a WD 74GB Raptor drive. I'd
> like to add an additional drive and raid them. I would be using the
> motherboard controller for the raid setup and most likely raid 0.
>
> Will I lose all my data if I add the new drive and create raid?
Yes.
Mike.

I am not sure of the drive interface on that board, but I have an intel
board with ICH5R interface and it allows one to add a 2nd hard drive and
convert existing partition to a raid 1 or 0 array. I successfully added a
drive and did just that, WITHIN WINDOWS! I was amazed, it didn't take long
either. Once the conversion is done the machine is rebooted and you are
running a raid 0 array. Does your board use the intel ICH5R interface? If
so, use the application accellerator raid edition to do the conversion.

I am also using 74GB Raptors. To tell you the truth, if I did it again I
would go with a RAID 1 array instead of 0. The performance is great in 0
but now that I have experienced it I am tempted to convert back to raid 1.
Nice to have the ability to just go from one to another so easily.

--Dan

"MEM" <mmaxsom@citlink.net> wrote in message
> I currently have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a WD 74GB Raptor drive. I'd
> like to add an additional drive and raid them. I would be using the
> motherboard controller for the raid setup and most likely raid 0.
>
> Will I lose all my data if I add the new drive and create raid?

TRENDING THREADS