IDE Tape Drives

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 4:14:30 PM

Are there IDE tape drives that use the DDS-120 tape?

More about : ide tape drives

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 2, 2004 1:16:03 AM

Scott Gurney wrote:

> Are there IDE tape drives that use the DDS-120 tape?

No. The only IDE tape drives that are readily available are Travans,
Onstream (company is dead I believe) and Exabyte VXA, which is 8mm. Of
those, the Exabyte is the only one that's worth a damn. And few SCSI tape
drives will take a "DDS-120" tape--it's DDS-1, DDS-2, DDS-3, DDS-4, or
DDS-5. And the purpose made tapes work poorly enough, don't even _think_
about using an audio tape.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <com28102t84@news3.newsguy.com>, jclarke@nospam.invalid
says...
> Scott Gurney wrote:
>
> > Are there IDE tape drives that use the DDS-120 tape?
>
> No. The only IDE tape drives that are readily available are Travans,
> Onstream (company is dead I believe) and Exabyte VXA, which is 8mm. Of
> those, the Exabyte is the only one that's worth a damn. And few SCSI tape
> drives will take a "DDS-120" tape--it's DDS-1, DDS-2, DDS-3, DDS-4, or
> DDS-5. And the purpose made tapes work poorly enough, don't even _think_
> about using an audio tape.

DDS-120 = DDS2. If I remember, the capacity was only about 4G
uncompressed? DDS3 (125M tapes) are 12G. DDS4 (150M tapes?) are about
20G. There is also a DAT72, which is basically DDS5 (36M uncompressed.)
DDS1 used 60M or 90M tapes.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
!