IDE Tape Drives

Are there IDE tape drives that use the DDS-120 tape?
2 answers Last reply
More about tape drives

    Scott Gurney wrote:

    > Are there IDE tape drives that use the DDS-120 tape?

    No. The only IDE tape drives that are readily available are Travans,
    Onstream (company is dead I believe) and Exabyte VXA, which is 8mm. Of
    those, the Exabyte is the only one that's worth a damn. And few SCSI tape
    drives will take a "DDS-120" tape--it's DDS-1, DDS-2, DDS-3, DDS-4, or
    DDS-5. And the purpose made tapes work poorly enough, don't even _think_
    about using an audio tape.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    In article <com28102t84@news3.newsguy.com>, jclarke@nospam.invalid
    says...
    > Scott Gurney wrote:
    >
    > > Are there IDE tape drives that use the DDS-120 tape?
    >
    > No. The only IDE tape drives that are readily available are Travans,
    > Onstream (company is dead I believe) and Exabyte VXA, which is 8mm. Of
    > those, the Exabyte is the only one that's worth a damn. And few SCSI tape
    > drives will take a "DDS-120" tape--it's DDS-1, DDS-2, DDS-3, DDS-4, or
    > DDS-5. And the purpose made tapes work poorly enough, don't even _think_
    > about using an audio tape.

    DDS-120 = DDS2. If I remember, the capacity was only about 4G
    uncompressed? DDS3 (125M tapes) are 12G. DDS4 (150M tapes?) are about
    20G. There is also a DAT72, which is basically DDS5 (36M uncompressed.)
    DDS1 used 60M or 90M tapes.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

Tape Drives Hardware Storage IBM