gearsec

My DVD/CDRW will read data/audio CD's but will no longer read DVD-ROM. I believe that I deleted a file called gearsec which may be crucial. If this is true can I reinstall it? I have the latest firmware for my Matshita drive and I have just purchased Intervideo WinDVD 6 with no luck.
2 answers Last reply
More about gearsec

    If you open explorer and and look for the disk (obviously while a DVD is
    inserted) does it appear ???
    "loadtoad" <loadtoad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My DVD/CDRW will read data/audio CD's but will no longer read DVD-ROM. I
    believe that I deleted a file called gearsec which may be crucial. If this
    is true can I reinstall it? I have the latest firmware for my Matshita
    drive and I have just purchased Intervideo WinDVD 6 with no luck.

    No, when I load any DVD-ROM it doesn't recognize it. I'm pretty sure my
    problems are bigger then I first thought. I seem to be missing my entire
    driver database. Whenever I hook up any USB hardware or acessories, my
    computer doens't install it automatically. My OS is WinXP Home. I tried
    hooking up the same stuff to my brother's computer (basically the same
    computer) and his found the drivers and installed it no problem. Windows
    update doesn't list any driver updates. My virus checker is up to date and
    reports that I'm clean. I have Spybot and Adware, so no idea what to do.

    "Zaphod" wrote:

    > If you open explorer and and look for the disk (obviously while a DVD is
    > inserted) does it appear ???
    > "loadtoad" <loadtoad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My DVD/CDRW will read data/audio CD's but will no longer read DVD-ROM. I
    > believe that I deleted a file called gearsec which may be crucial. If this
    > is true can I reinstall it? I have the latest firmware for my Matshita
    > drive and I have just purchased Intervideo WinDVD 6 with no luck.

Video Windows XP