Getting Hi-8 footage to PC

July 8, 2004 5:43:56 PM

Hi All, hope someone can help...

I've got A Samsung Hi-8 camcorder with an s-video out
connector running to the break-out box (VIVO) of my Asus
Radeon 9600XT graphics card (s-video in port). I don't
know why but I can't get Pinnacle Studio to capture any
footage. I just get a dark screen with some broken lines
in Pinnacle, whereas the picture/sound on the camcorder
LCD is great.

Do I need a separate video capture card? If so, why? I'm
sure I've seen reviews extolling the vid capture
capabilities of the 9600XT.

Puzzled. Very. Thanks in advance.

More about : footage

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:55:01 AM

I'm having the same problem.

I'm trying to get video from my Sony Handicam to the S-video port on my Nvidia Gforce 3 Ti200 into Windows Movie Maker. It says that there is no video device connected... I hope someone can help.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 11:48:10 AM

You have a couple of options here. Basically you need a
USB 2.0 or Firewire cable as the stream needs to be above
400mbps. Just by plugging your s-video into the s-video
on the graphics card won't work for capture.

Factors also depend on your camcorder. Assuming they are
both digital 8 or miniDV you can connect a firewire cable
to the camcorder and the USB2 or 1394 port and off you
go. If analogue format you will need to purchase a
digital converter Pinnacle or Dazzle (Pinnacle have bought
Dazzle out as a business as well) are the market leaders.

Main thing is to switch the camcorder on before you launch
Pinnalce or whatever video editor you use - make sure the
PC has recognised the camcorder then launch application.

Let me know how you get on? jordanjunkie@hotmail.com

July 9, 2004 4:16:02 PM

You mentioned something that I question: You said "Just by plugging your s-video into the s-video on the graphics card won't work for capture." This is not true in my situation.

I have an NVidia card and ports at the front and back of my Sony Vaio. When I use the software bundled with the machine (Click to DVD) with my Sony TR96 (as analog as they come) connected to the front jacks I have absolutely no capture problems.

I attempted to use MM2 for comparison purposes and all I get is an error message with no ability to switch to analog input (see thread I have going).

"Dr Evil" wrote:

> You have a couple of options here. Basically you need a
> USB 2.0 or Firewire cable as the stream needs to be above
> 400mbps. Just by plugging your s-video into the s-video
> on the graphics card won't work for capture.
>
> Factors also depend on your camcorder. Assuming they are
> both digital 8 or miniDV you can connect a firewire cable
> to the camcorder and the USB2 or 1394 port and off you
> go. If analogue format you will need to purchase a
> digital converter Pinnacle or Dazzle (Pinnacle have bought
> Dazzle out as a business as well) are the market leaders.
>
> Main thing is to switch the camcorder on before you launch
> Pinnalce or whatever video editor you use - make sure the
> PC has recognised the camcorder then launch application.
>
> Let me know how you get on? jordanjunkie@hotmail.com

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 8:18:34 AM

Sounds like Sony have allowed for this with the design of
the Vaio. My own experience led me to the reply i
suggested - but fair play to folk who find the s-video
route works for them, having the specific card for the job
would always be my preferred route though :)

!