Getting Hi-8 footage to PC

Hi All, hope someone can help...

I've got A Samsung Hi-8 camcorder with an s-video out
connector running to the break-out box (VIVO) of my Asus
Radeon 9600XT graphics card (s-video in port). I don't
know why but I can't get Pinnacle Studio to capture any
footage. I just get a dark screen with some broken lines
in Pinnacle, whereas the picture/sound on the camcorder
LCD is great.

Do I need a separate video capture card? If so, why? I'm
sure I've seen reviews extolling the vid capture
capabilities of the 9600XT.

Puzzled. Very. Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about getting footage

    I'm having the same problem.

    I'm trying to get video from my Sony Handicam to the S-video port on my Nvidia Gforce 3 Ti200 into Windows Movie Maker. It says that there is no video device connected... I hope someone can help.

    You have a couple of options here. Basically you need a
    USB 2.0 or Firewire cable as the stream needs to be above
    400mbps. Just by plugging your s-video into the s-video
    on the graphics card won't work for capture.

    Factors also depend on your camcorder. Assuming they are
    both digital 8 or miniDV you can connect a firewire cable
    to the camcorder and the USB2 or 1394 port and off you
    go. If analogue format you will need to purchase a
    digital converter Pinnacle or Dazzle (Pinnacle have bought
    Dazzle out as a business as well) are the market leaders.

    Main thing is to switch the camcorder on before you launch
    Pinnalce or whatever video editor you use - make sure the
    PC has recognised the camcorder then launch application.

    Let me know how you get on? jordanjunkie@hotmail.com

    You mentioned something that I question: You said "Just by plugging your s-video into the s-video on the graphics card won't work for capture." This is not true in my situation.

    I have an NVidia card and ports at the front and back of my Sony Vaio. When I use the software bundled with the machine (Click to DVD) with my Sony TR96 (as analog as they come) connected to the front jacks I have absolutely no capture problems.

    I attempted to use MM2 for comparison purposes and all I get is an error message with no ability to switch to analog input (see thread I have going).

    "Dr Evil" wrote:

    > You have a couple of options here. Basically you need a
    > USB 2.0 or Firewire cable as the stream needs to be above
    > 400mbps. Just by plugging your s-video into the s-video
    > on the graphics card won't work for capture.
    >
    > Factors also depend on your camcorder. Assuming they are
    > both digital 8 or miniDV you can connect a firewire cable
    > to the camcorder and the USB2 or 1394 port and off you
    > go. If analogue format you will need to purchase a
    > digital converter Pinnacle or Dazzle (Pinnacle have bought
    > Dazzle out as a business as well) are the market leaders.
    >
    > Main thing is to switch the camcorder on before you launch
    > Pinnalce or whatever video editor you use - make sure the
    > PC has recognised the camcorder then launch application.
    >
    > Let me know how you get on? jordanjunkie@hotmail.com

    Sounds like Sony have allowed for this with the design of
    the Vaio. My own experience led me to the reply i
    suggested - but fair play to folk who find the s-video
    route works for them, having the specific card for the job
    would always be my preferred route though :)

Video Camcorders Windows XP