A question about WD1600

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.

It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
is reated for ATA-100.

On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.

Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
info - or where to look for them ?

Thank you !
15 answers Last reply
More about question wd1600
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Penang wrote:
    > I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?

    Is it a:
    - WD1600AB
    - WD1600BB
    - WD1600JB
    - WD1600JD

    Just the "WD1600" tells you the size.. The AB, BB, JB, JD - etc would tell
    you more.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Penang wrote:
    > I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?

    Cross-Posting and Multi-Posting at the same time?

    Is it a:
    - WD1600AB
    - WD1600BB
    - WD1600JB
    - WD1600JD

    Just the "WD1600" tells you the size.. The AB, BB, JB, JD - etc would tell
    you more.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Sounds like you got the wrong drive.

    You should look into this issue with the store that you purchased the
    product from..

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Penang" <penang@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?
    >
    > Thank you !
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Penang wrote:

    > I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?

    Given a discrepancy between a reseller's representation and the
    manufacturer's specifications, don't you think it's more likely than not
    that the manufacturer is the one who really knows what they make?

    You went to the right place: the WD site. Now just make sure you checked
    the right model, as WD1600 isn't 'enough'. There's the two letter code on
    the end of it. I.E. WD1600AB, or BB, or whatever you got.

    One thing is sure, the reseller got the ATA-133 wrong, if that's what they
    said, as WD doesn't make ATA-133 drives.

    > Thank you !
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Western Digital does not make any ATA-133 drives, only ATA-100.
    But there is no real world performance difference between 100 & 133
    Maxtor make ATA-133 drives
    Most hard drive manufacturers only make ATA-100

    Was the drive advertised as an ATA-133 drive
    or as ATA-133 "compatible"

    "Penang" <penang@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?
    >
    > Thank you !

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    WD 1600 "JB" 8mbs cache
    WD 1600 "BB" 2mbs cache

    both are 160GBs and ATA-100

    "Penang" <penang@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?
    >
    > Thank you !

    > But there is no real world performance difference between 100 & 133

    This should be hammered into people until it sinks in.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage.]
    > Given a discrepancy between a reseller's representation and the
    > manufacturer's specifications, don't you think it's more likely than not
    > that the manufacturer is the one who really knows what they make?

    Who knows... How do you make sure that the manufacturer's info is
    up-to-date AND correct?

    > You went to the right place: the WD site. Now just make sure you checked
    > the right model, as WD1600 isn't 'enough'. There's the two letter code on
    > the end of it. I.E. WD1600AB, or BB, or whatever you got.
    >
    > One thing is sure, the reseller got the ATA-133 wrong, if that's what they
    > said, as WD doesn't make ATA-133 drives.

    is there an official ATA-133 standard at all? Maybe the manufacturer
    will hesitate to certify for an inofficial ATA-133 which may fail with
    other ATA-133 implementations, while ATA-100 is certified by the
    standard.

    Martin Trautmann wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage.]
    >
    >> Given a discrepancy between a reseller's representation and the
    >> manufacturer's specifications, don't you think it's more likely than not
    >> that the manufacturer is the one who really knows what they make?
    >

    > Who knows...

    The manufacturer

    > How do you make sure that the manufacturer's info is
    > up-to-date AND correct?

    Since the only place the reseller can get his information is from the
    manufacturer...

    >> You went to the right place: the WD site. Now just make sure you checked
    >> the right model, as WD1600 isn't 'enough'. There's the two letter code on
    >> the end of it. I.E. WD1600AB, or BB, or whatever you got.
    >>
    >> One thing is sure, the reseller got the ATA-133 wrong, if that's what they
    >> said, as WD doesn't make ATA-133 drives.
    >

    > is there an official ATA-133 standard at all?

    Yes. It's a Maxtor 'initiative' and a number of third party controller
    manufacturers support it. But most drive manufacturer's decided to skip
    that bandwagon since ATA-100 is sufficient enough for current drives and
    SATA was coming out. Intel doesn't support it either.

    > Maybe the manufacturer
    > will hesitate to certify

    It isn't a matter of 'certifying'. You have to design it to do ATA-133 and
    they didn't.

    "Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message news:4j_rd.82307$IQ.33265@bignews6.bellsouth.net
    > > But there is no real world performance difference between 100 & 133

    Yes, there is.
    An ATA-133 drive has a STR of over 45 MB/s where an ATA100 drive
    has an STR of below 45MB/s. Ever when a drive's STR increases over
    1/2 the interface rate minus 10% for overhead the next higher interface
    rate is chosen in order that when both drives are accessed simultaniously
    on the same channel at no time the sustained transfer rate of both is limited in any way.

    Only when the mfgr doesn't adopt the new interface standard they may
    bring out drives that have an STR that is over 1/2 the interface rate
    minus 10% for overhead. People should know that these drives will not
    deliver full sustained transfer rate when used in Raid on the same channel.

    > This should be hammered into people until it sinks in.

    Yes, not enough clueless people around these days.
    Please unclue as much people as you can, spread the word, spread the word !
    Free lobotomies for all that are burdened by too much knowledge.

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > Yes, not enough clueless people around these days.
    > Please unclue as much people as you can, spread the word, spread the word !
    > Free lobotomies for all that are burdened by too much knowledge.

    Folkert, you haven't been smoking that brown stuff again, have you?!

    Odie
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thank you and thank all for your help.

    The drive I bought has only WD1600 printed on.

    I bought it on a computer expo - where lots and lots of vendors
    selling the same item, and all of them advertised it as ATA-133 - they
    have two versions, one with 2MB buffer, the other one 8MB buffer - and
    that's about all I have about the drive, other than the one I got from
    WD's website.

    Anyway, I am doing test drive on the drive right now.

    Thanks a lot to all, again !!!

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<SNVrd.602409$mD.170810@attbi_s02>...
    > WD 1600 "JB" 8mbs cache
    > WD 1600 "BB" 2mbs cache
    >
    > both are 160GBs and ATA-100

    > >I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    > >
    > > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > > is reated for ATA-100.
    > >
    > > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    > >
    > > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > > info - or where to look for them ?
    > >
    > > Thank you !

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Can you take a picture of the drive and post it.

    > Thank you and thank all for your help.
    >
    > The drive I bought has only WD1600 printed on.
    >
    > I bought it on a computer expo - where lots and lots of vendors
    > selling the same item, and all of them advertised it as ATA-133 - they
    > have two versions, one with 2MB buffer, the other one 8MB buffer - and
    > that's about all I have about the drive, other than the one I got from
    > WD's website.
    >
    > Anyway, I am doing test drive on the drive right now.
    >
    > Thanks a lot to all, again !!!
    >

    > "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> WD 1600 "JB" 8mbs cache
    >> WD 1600 "BB" 2mbs cache
    >>
    >> both are 160GBs and ATA-100
    >
    >> >I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    >> > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >> >
    >> > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    >> > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    >> > is reated for ATA-100.
    >> >
    >> > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    >> > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >> >
    >> > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    >> > info - or where to look for them ?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you !

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:34:54 GMT, "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    | Can you take a picture of the drive and post it.

    I'd be interested in seeing that as well. I've never seen a WD drive
    that didn't have quite a bit of info on it including model, part
    number, serial number, and date and place of manufacture. They even
    tag their re-manufactured drives.

    Larc

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Download and install one or both of the products below:

    http://www.lavalys.com/

    http://www.belarc.com

    to get the model numbers of the drive and check the drive manufacturer's
    site for specs.

    "Penang" <penang@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Western Digital Caviar 160GB harddrive - model number
    > WD1600 - with 8MB buffer.
    >
    > It is advertised as a ATA-133 drive - but when I got to Western
    > Digital's website, all it list is that WD1600 has a 2MB buffer and it
    > is reated for ATA-100.
    >
    > On the drive itself there is absolutely NO information about the
    > memory buffer, nor the ATA rating.
    >
    > Therefore, is there anyone here who can tell me how to find out the
    > info - or where to look for them ?
    >
    > Thank you !

Hardware Microsoft Storage