Looking for "Virtual Disk Card" - or something similar to it

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware (More info?)

Hello all !

I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.

What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.

I need to build a storage system that is SUPER-FAST - and I am looking
for size up to 32GB. While 32GB is not big as harddisk goes, what I am
looking for is a CARD that can be plugged into the motherboard, and on
the card itself, it has slots for memory modules.

There is a vendor called "ACQUTEK" which has something similar -
product url is at www.acqu.com/usa/intr-vdk.htm - but the product on
the page is OLD.

What I am looking for is similar to the above, but allows users to
plug in memory modules that can be as large as 4GB per module. That
way, I only have to plug in 8 modules on the card and I get myself a
32GB super-fast storage system.

If you know of similar devices on the market, would you be kind enough
to share your knowledge with me, please ?

I thank you !

Sincerely,
Lee
5 answers Last reply
More about looking virtual disk card similar
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware (More info?)

    "Penang" <penang@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

    > I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.
    >
    > What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
    > harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.

    Usually called a RamDisk, like the one created
    in most DOS boot disks (to hold diagnostic tols.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Thanks, Don, for your reply.

    I am looking for the hardware version of RAMdisk. Got any idea ?

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message news:<eZq9WoX2EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...

    > > I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.
    > >
    > > What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
    > > harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.
    >
    > Usually called a RamDisk, like the one created
    > in most DOS boot disks (to hold diagnostic tols.)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware (More info?)

    > Thanks, Don, for your reply.
    >
    > I am looking for the hardware version of RAMdisk. Got any idea ?

    The "hardware version" would be memory chips
    i.e. your existing RAM: the software driver is
    RAMDRIVE.SYS. MS writes:
    "For more information on RAMDrive, type
    help ramdrive.sys
    at the MS-DOS command prompt and press ENTER."

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    On 3 Dec 2004 00:41:24 -0800, penang@myrealbox.com (Penang) put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.

    Search for "solid state disk" instead.

    >What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
    >harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.
    >
    >I need to build a storage system that is SUPER-FAST - and I am looking
    >for size up to 32GB. While 32GB is not big as harddisk goes, what I am
    >looking for is a CARD that can be plugged into the motherboard, and on
    >the card itself, it has slots for memory modules.

    http://www.adtron.com/catalog.html

    - Franc Zabkar
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    Franc Zabkar wrote:

    > http://www.adtron.com/catalog.html

    Most of their offerings transfer data at 9MB per second - some at 25MB
    per second.

    Hardly super fast.

    Probably horrendously overpriced as well.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts