Looking for "Virtual Disk Card" - or something similar to it

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware (More info?)

Hello all !

I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.

What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.

I need to build a storage system that is SUPER-FAST - and I am looking
for size up to 32GB. While 32GB is not big as harddisk goes, what I am
looking for is a CARD that can be plugged into the motherboard, and on
the card itself, it has slots for memory modules.

There is a vendor called "ACQUTEK" which has something similar -
product url is at www.acqu.com/usa/intr-vdk.htm - but the product on
the page is OLD.

What I am looking for is similar to the above, but allows users to
plug in memory modules that can be as large as 4GB per module. That
way, I only have to plug in 8 modules on the card and I get myself a
32GB super-fast storage system.

If you know of similar devices on the market, would you be kind enough
to share your knowledge with me, please ?

I thank you !

Sincerely,
Lee

"Penang" <penang@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.
>
> What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
> harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.

Usually called a RamDisk, like the one created
in most DOS boot disks (to hold diagnostic tols.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware (More info?)

Thanks, Don, for your reply.

I am looking for the hardware version of RAMdisk. Got any idea ?

> Thanks, Don, for your reply.
>
> I am looking for the hardware version of RAMdisk. Got any idea ?

The "hardware version" would be memory chips
i.e. your existing RAM: the software driver is
RAMDRIVE.SYS. MS writes:
"For more information on RAMDrive, type
help ramdrive.sys
at the MS-DOS command prompt and press ENTER."

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

On 3 Dec 2004 00:41:24 -0800, penang@myrealbox.com (Penang) put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>I am searching for a "Virtual Disk Card", or something like that.

Search for "solid state disk" instead.

>What I am searching for, essentially, is something that acts like a
>harddisk, but it is DRAM / SDRAM / DDR-SDRAM based.
>
>I need to build a storage system that is SUPER-FAST - and I am looking
>for size up to 32GB. While 32GB is not big as harddisk goes, what I am
>looking for is a CARD that can be plugged into the motherboard, and on
>the card itself, it has slots for memory modules.

http://www.adtron.com/catalog.html

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote:

> http://www.adtron.com/catalog.html

Most of their offerings transfer data at 9MB per second - some at 25MB
per second.

Hardly super fast.

Probably horrendously overpriced as well.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts