is this drive motor bad?

This post is related to my earlier post regarding the hard drive that shuts
my system down when I try to fire it up. I took a picture of the underneath
of the drive motor. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what. Could anyone
take a look at the picture and give me a confirmation of whether this is
normal or not. Thanks for all responses.

You can view the picture here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/martywill/misc/drivemotor.jpg

Also, an unrelated question, but what are the most active computer forums,
besides this one?
2 answers Last reply
More about drive motor

    Previously Martin Williams <martywill@comcast.net> wrote:
    > This post is related to my earlier post regarding the hard drive that shuts
    > my system down when I try to fire it up. I took a picture of the underneath
    > of the drive motor. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what. Could anyone
    > take a look at the picture and give me a confirmation of whether this is
    > normal or not. Thanks for all responses.

    > You can view the picture here:

    > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/martywill/misc/drivemotor.jpg

    Looks normal to me. And these flimsy wires can not take the current
    a PSU can deliver. They would literally melt. Also many disks have
    fuses in the 5V and 12V power paths (SMD fuses, probably difficult
    to identify), so I think if this is a short-circuit, it has to be
    pretty close to the connector.

    > Also, an unrelated question, but what are the most active computer forums,
    > besides this one?

    Depends on what you want. There are also forums for individual OSes (or
    even distributions in case of Linux) and e.g. for mainboards.

    Arno

    In article <M4CdnQlTrtbnfC3cRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, Martin Williams
    <martywill@comcast.net> writes

    >This post is related to my earlier post regarding the hard drive that shuts
    >my system down when I try to fire it up. I took a picture of the underneath
    >of the drive motor. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what.

    It's normal. If you're referring to the brownish blob, it's a bit of
    glue used to secure the wires to the orange interface PCB at manufacture
    time.

    Have a look at the drive PCB. Are any of the chips burnt or cracked?
    Put up a pic and link to that too if you're unsure.

    --
    ..sigmonster on vacation

Storage