is this drive motor bad?

This post is related to my earlier post regarding the hard drive that shuts
my system down when I try to fire it up. I took a picture of the underneath
of the drive motor. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what. Could anyone
take a look at the picture and give me a confirmation of whether this is
normal or not. Thanks for all responses.

You can view the picture here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/martywill/misc/drivemotor.jpg

Also, an unrelated question, but what are the most active computer forums,
besides this one?

Previously Martin Williams <martywill@comcast.net> wrote:
> This post is related to my earlier post regarding the hard drive that shuts
> my system down when I try to fire it up. I took a picture of the underneath
> of the drive motor. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what. Could anyone
> take a look at the picture and give me a confirmation of whether this is
> normal or not. Thanks for all responses.

> You can view the picture here:

> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/martywill/misc/drivemotor.jpg

Looks normal to me. And these flimsy wires can not take the current
a PSU can deliver. They would literally melt. Also many disks have
fuses in the 5V and 12V power paths (SMD fuses, probably difficult
to identify), so I think if this is a short-circuit, it has to be
pretty close to the connector.

> Also, an unrelated question, but what are the most active computer forums,
> besides this one?

Depends on what you want. There are also forums for individual OSes (or
even distributions in case of Linux) and e.g. for mainboards.

Arno

In article <M4CdnQlTrtbnfC3cRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, Martin Williams
<martywill@comcast.net> writes

>This post is related to my earlier post regarding the hard drive that shuts
>my system down when I try to fire it up. I took a picture of the underneath
>of the drive motor. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what.

It's normal. If you're referring to the brownish blob, it's a bit of
glue used to secure the wires to the orange interface PCB at manufacture
time.

Have a look at the drive PCB. Are any of the chips burnt or cracked?
Put up a pic and link to that too if you're unsure.

--
..sigmonster on vacation