Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Possible Maximum hard drives?

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 4, 2004 11:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA, or
IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine? and can anyone recommend a
motherboard that is suitable for a large number of drives?

More about : maximum hard drives

December 4, 2004 11:54:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

mikea wrote:
> What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA, or
> IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine? and can anyone recommend a
> motherboard that is suitable for a large number of drives?
>
>
My guess is 28 -- 4 on the motherboard controller and 4 each on 6 PCI
card controllers. Powering and cooling all those drives would be a
challenge, though. Plus, you need to get them all within 18" of the
motherboard. And you need to find an effective way to back them up.

--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 5, 2004 12:55:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

It's not the motherboard or operating system, it's the controllers.
They are called SCSI, one main stream SCSI controller can easily control 15
SCSI hard drives.

If you only want ATA/IDE stuff, I believe Abit made a mother board that had
6
built in ATA/IDE controllers, so 12 IDE devices could be hooked up.

Plus adding extra PCI ATA controllers, each controller controlling 4 hard
drives.
So how many PCI slot does the motherboard have ?

You can also hook up external hard drives in USB or Firewire cases
Maybe a dozen or more externals hooked up ?

"mikea" <mikea@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:cot5u9$6a5$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA, or
> IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine? and can anyone recommend a
> motherboard that is suitable for a large number of drives?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 5, 2004 12:55:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Tod wrote:

> It's not the motherboard or operating system, it's the controllers.
> They are called SCSI, one main stream SCSI controller can easily control
> 15 SCSI hard drives.
>
> If you only want ATA/IDE stuff, I believe Abit made a mother board that
> had 6
> built in ATA/IDE controllers, so 12 IDE devices could be hooked up.
>
> Plus adding extra PCI ATA controllers, each controller controlling 4 hard
> drives.
> So how many PCI slot does the motherboard have ?
>
> You can also hook up external hard drives in USB or Firewire cases
> Maybe a dozen or more externals hooked up ?

You're thinking small. Google "SATA RAID" and "ATA RAID external" and
you'll find a ton of hits on interesting stuff.

It's conceptually possible to put together a solution using a high-end SCSI
RAID controllers and external SCSI-to-SATA enclosures that has more than
three thousand SATA devices in it. That, using the largest available SATA
devices, would be over 1.5 petabytes in capacity. I don't want to maintain
the thing. At least not unless you pay me a _hell_ of a lot.

Take a look at <http://www.raidking.com/rk827.htm&gt; and
<http://www.lsilogic.com/products/megaraid/scsi_320_4x.h...; for the pieces
for that configuration.

A smaller alternative would use four 3Ware
<http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata9000.asp&gt; RAID controllers with
12 devices each for a total of 48 and only 19 terabytes capacity. In either
case a motherboard with four PCI-X slots available, preferably on separate
buses, would be needed to get maximum performance. A Supermicro X5DL8-GG
would be one option--it has 6 slots on 3 buses--not optimal but pretty
good.


>
> "mikea" <mikea@localhost.com> wrote in message
> news:cot5u9$6a5$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA, or
>> IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine? and can anyone recommend a
>> motherboard that is suitable for a large number of drives?
>>
>>
>>

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 5, 2004 3:57:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"mikea" <mikea@localhost.com> wrote in message news:cot5u9$6a5$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk
> What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA,
> or IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine?

128

> and can anyone recommend a motherboard that is suitable for a large
> number of drives?
!