Possible Maximum hard drives?

What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA, or
IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine? and can anyone recommend a
motherboard that is suitable for a large number of drives?
4 answers Last reply
More about possible maximum hard drives

    mikea wrote:
    > What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA, or
    > IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine? and can anyone recommend a
    > motherboard that is suitable for a large number of drives?

    My guess is 28 -- 4 on the motherboard controller and 4 each on 6 PCI
    card controllers. Powering and cooling all those drives would be a
    challenge, though. Plus, you need to get them all within 18" of the
    motherboard. And you need to find an effective way to back them up.

    It's not the motherboard or operating system, it's the controllers.
    They are called SCSI, one main stream SCSI controller can easily control 15
    SCSI hard drives.

    If you only want ATA/IDE stuff, I believe Abit made a mother board that had
    6
    built in ATA/IDE controllers, so 12 IDE devices could be hooked up.

    Plus adding extra PCI ATA controllers, each controller controlling 4 hard
    drives.
    So how many PCI slot does the motherboard have ?

    You can also hook up external hard drives in USB or Firewire cases
    Maybe a dozen or more externals hooked up ?

    Tod wrote:

    > It's not the motherboard or operating system, it's the controllers.
    > They are called SCSI, one main stream SCSI controller can easily control
    > 15 SCSI hard drives.
    >
    > If you only want ATA/IDE stuff, I believe Abit made a mother board that
    > had 6
    > built in ATA/IDE controllers, so 12 IDE devices could be hooked up.
    >
    > Plus adding extra PCI ATA controllers, each controller controlling 4 hard
    > drives.
    > So how many PCI slot does the motherboard have ?
    >
    > You can also hook up external hard drives in USB or Firewire cases
    > Maybe a dozen or more externals hooked up ?

    You're thinking small. Google "SATA RAID" and "ATA RAID external" and
    you'll find a ton of hits on interesting stuff.

    It's conceptually possible to put together a solution using a high-end SCSI
    RAID controllers and external SCSI-to-SATA enclosures that has more than
    three thousand SATA devices in it. That, using the largest available SATA
    devices, would be over 1.5 petabytes in capacity. I don't want to maintain
    the thing. At least not unless you pay me a _hell_ of a lot.

    Take a look at <http://www.raidking.com/rk827.htm> and
    <http://www.lsilogic.com/products/megaraid/scsi_320_4x.html> for the pieces
    for that configuration.

    A smaller alternative would use four 3Ware
    <http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata9000.asp> RAID controllers with
    12 devices each for a total of 48 and only 19 terabytes capacity. In either
    case a motherboard with four PCI-X slots available, preferably on separate
    buses, would be needed to get maximum performance. A Supermicro X5DL8-GG
    would be one option--it has 6 slots on 3 buses--not optimal but pretty
    good.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "mikea" <mikea@localhost.com> wrote in message news:cot5u9$6a5$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk
    > What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed (via SATA,
    > or IDE) on a single CPU windows xp based machine?

    128

    > and can anyone recommend a motherboard that is suitable for a large
    > number of drives?

Hard Drives Storage