Lost jumper for my Western Digital WD800JB IDE Drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 6, 2004 7:51:03 AM

Will any generic jumper work in its place, or does it have to be the
specific white jumper that came with the drive. I don't want any nasty
(expensive) surprises. I just lost a system 2 weeks ago, and was forced
to upgrade, now this.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 6, 2004 12:49:55 PM

Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.

"electro" <electro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will any generic jumper work in its place, or does it have to be the
> specific white jumper that came with the drive. I don't want any nasty
> (expensive) surprises. I just lost a system 2 weeks ago, and was forced
> to upgrade, now this.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 6, 2004 2:48:21 PM

Martin Williams wrote:

> Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.

As long as you have one the right size that is. Most drives take the
smaller of the two commonly available sizes.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks all. The problem is solved.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 7, 2004 3:41:02 PM

Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Martin Williams wrote:

>> Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.

> As long as you have one the right size that is. Most drives take the
> smaller of the two commonly available sizes.

I have seen the smaller ones (2mm) so far only on 2.5" disks and
one old 1GB IBM SCSI disk. Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor HDDs I have
use the larger ones (2.54mm == 1/10"). These are also used, e.g. on
most mainboards and CDROM drives.

As long as it fits cleanly it is o.k.. Jumpers are all "generic".

Arno

>> "electro" <electro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Will any generic jumper work in its place, or does it have to be the
>>> specific white jumper that came with the drive. I don't want any nasty
>>> (expensive) surprises. I just lost a system 2 weeks ago, and was forced
>>> to upgrade, now this.
>>>

> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

a b G Storage
December 7, 2004 9:18:08 PM

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:31lmmuF3cv58eU3@individual.net...
> Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > Martin Williams wrote:
>
> >> Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.
>
> > As long as you have one the right size that is. Most drives take the
> > smaller of the two commonly available sizes.
>
> I have seen the smaller ones (2mm) so far only on 2.5" disks and
> one old 1GB IBM SCSI disk. Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor HDDs I have
> use the larger ones (2.54mm == 1/10"). These are also used, e.g. on
> most mainboards and CDROM drives.
>
> As long as it fits cleanly it is o.k..

> Jumpers are all "generic".

Clueless Arnie again.
Obviously he has never seen the low profile jumpers used on Seagate SCSI
drives. The "generic" jumpers fall right off because the pins on the drive
are too short.

!