Lost jumper for my Western Digital WD800JB IDE Drive

Will any generic jumper work in its place, or does it have to be the
specific white jumper that came with the drive. I don't want any nasty
(expensive) surprises. I just lost a system 2 weeks ago, and was forced
to upgrade, now this.
5 answers Last reply
More about lost jumper western digital wd800jb drive

    Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.

    Martin Williams wrote:

    > Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.

    As long as you have one the right size that is. Most drives take the
    smaller of the two commonly available sizes.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Thanks all. The problem is solved.

    Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > Martin Williams wrote:

    >> Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.

    > As long as you have one the right size that is. Most drives take the
    > smaller of the two commonly available sizes.

    I have seen the smaller ones (2mm) so far only on 2.5" disks and
    one old 1GB IBM SCSI disk. Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor HDDs I have
    use the larger ones (2.54mm == 1/10"). These are also used, e.g. on
    most mainboards and CDROM drives.

    As long as it fits cleanly it is o.k.. Jumpers are all "generic".

    Arno

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:31lmmuF3cv58eU3@individual.net...
    > Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > > Martin Williams wrote:
    >
    > >> Any jumper should work. I've never run into a problem doing this.
    >
    > > As long as you have one the right size that is. Most drives take the
    > > smaller of the two commonly available sizes.
    >
    > I have seen the smaller ones (2mm) so far only on 2.5" disks and
    > one old 1GB IBM SCSI disk. Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor HDDs I have
    > use the larger ones (2.54mm == 1/10"). These are also used, e.g. on
    > most mainboards and CDROM drives.
    >
    > As long as it fits cleanly it is o.k..

    > Jumpers are all "generic".

    Clueless Arnie again.
    Obviously he has never seen the low profile jumpers used on Seagate SCSI
    drives. The "generic" jumpers fall right off because the pins on the drive
    are too short.

    > Arno
    >
    > >> "electro" <electro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > > --
    > > --John
    > > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    >
    > --
    > For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
    > GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    > "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus

Western Digital Jumper Storage