Display problems

The display settings in XP-Home edition got adjusted so
now the display cannot be read - I can hear Windows
starting up, but have no way to get back to control panel
to re-adjust the display. I've tried starting in safe
mode and because my display settings are not corect, I
can't even reset them there. How can I fix this?

Start as you would for Safe Mode (F8) and use
VGA Mode instead.

Try to change your settings there.