Cannot defrag my HD under Win2k...

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 7, 2004 6:11:58 AM

Hello,
I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
clusters.
The built-in-os defrag utility doesn't work, neither do the trial
versions of O&O Defrag V6.5 Pro and Diskeeper 9.
It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?

Thanks for your advices,

Kamox

More about : defrag win2k

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 7, 2004 10:29:37 AM

In article <8feac1bb.0412070311.20fb726c@posting.google.com>,
Kamox <kamox@go.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
>clusters.
>The built-in-os defrag utility doesn't work, neither do the trial
>versions of O&O Defrag V6.5 Pro and Diskeeper 9.
>It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
>defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?
>
>Thanks for your advices,
>
>Kamox

If Raxco perfectdisk can't defrag it, nobody can. If
it can't I'd like to understand why.

(just a satisfied customer.)
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----

The 4KB NTFS limit is part of Win2K. You need to install Win XP or 2003 trial
to another partition to defrag.

"Kamox" <kamox@go.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
> clusters.
> The built-in-os defrag utility doesn't work, neither do the trial
> versions of O&O Defrag V6.5 Pro and Diskeeper 9.
> It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
> defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?

a b G Storage
December 7, 2004 6:37:30 PM

> If Raxco perfectdisk can't defrag it, nobody can. If
> it can't I'd like to understand why.

It can't!!!
Here's a screenshot:
http://www.geocities.com/kamox/Defrag-error.gif

Help! That's the same error message i got with the other applications!
--
Kamox
Anonymous

In article <8feac1bb.0412070311.20fb726c@posting.google.com>, Kamox
<kamox@go.com> writes

>I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
>clusters.

You've converted this drive from FAT32 to NTFS and CONVERT.EXE has
retained the 16k clusters.

>It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
>defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?

Partition Magic will resize the clusters without losing data. Take a
backup first if your data is important, and expect the first defrag
after the resizing to take a very long time.

--
Rarely do people communicate; they just take turns talking.
(source unknown)