Cannot defrag my HD under Win2k...

Hello,
I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
clusters.
The built-in-os defrag utility doesn't work, neither do the trial
versions of O&O Defrag V6.5 Pro and Diskeeper 9.
It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?

Thanks for your advices,

Kamox
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot defrag win2k

    In article <8feac1bb.0412070311.20fb726c@posting.google.com>,
    Kamox <kamox@go.com> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
    >clusters.
    >The built-in-os defrag utility doesn't work, neither do the trial
    >versions of O&O Defrag V6.5 Pro and Diskeeper 9.
    >It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
    >defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?
    >
    >Thanks for your advices,
    >
    >Kamox

    If Raxco perfectdisk can't defrag it, nobody can. If
    it can't I'd like to understand why.

    (just a satisfied customer.)
    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    ----

    The 4KB NTFS limit is part of Win2K. You need to install Win XP or 2003 trial
    to another partition to defrag.

    "Kamox" <kamox@go.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
    > clusters.
    > The built-in-os defrag utility doesn't work, neither do the trial
    > versions of O&O Defrag V6.5 Pro and Diskeeper 9.
    > It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
    > defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?

    > If Raxco perfectdisk can't defrag it, nobody can. If
    > it can't I'd like to understand why.

    It can't!!!
    Here's a screenshot:
    http://www.geocities.com/kamox/Defrag-error.gif

    Help! That's the same error message i got with the other applications!
    --
    Kamox

    In article <8feac1bb.0412070311.20fb726c@posting.google.com>, Kamox
    <kamox@go.com> writes

    >I use win2k Pro and have a 40GB NTFS-formatted hard disk with 16 kbyte
    >clusters.

    You've converted this drive from FAT32 to NTFS and CONVERT.EXE has
    retained the 16k clusters.

    >It seems that the cluster size is the problem. How can I manage to
    >defragment my hard disk (without having to format it, i mean ;-))?

    Partition Magic will resize the clusters without losing data. Take a
    backup first if your data is important, and expect the first defrag
    after the resizing to take a very long time.

    --
    Rarely do people communicate; they just take turns talking.
    (source unknown)

Defragment Hard Drives Storage