removing FS type from partition table

Hi NG,

My maxtor 2500GB stopped working. I installed a new drive (with Windows
XP) and hope to recover data on the bad drive. However, XP hangs when
it is trying to access the bad drive, presumably it hangs doing chkdisk
or something. Partition Magic indicated 3 of the 4 NTFS partitions are
bad with CRC errors. I would like to temporarily mark the bad
partitions as a file system that Windows does not recognize so XP would
boot and I would be able to access the remaining good partition. I will
re-mark the bad partition later as NTFS and try to use recover data
using some other recovery tools.

So, is it possible to temporarily remove the partition type from the
partition table?

..mb
1 answer Last reply
More about removing type partition table

    Download mbrwiz: http://mbr.bigr.net/, you can hide primaries.

    Various boot managers will also do it.

    "Mel Bourne" <nospam@nodomain.com> wrote in message

    > So, is it possible to temporarily remove the partition type from the
    > partition table?

Windows XP Storage