Norton Ghost,USB 2.0 enclosure, 27mb/minute clone took 9 h..

Zog

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004

A clone of my internal drive to an external Western Digital drive in a
USB 2.0 enclosure took over nine hours to copy 17gb. The transfer rate
never exceeded 29mb/minute. Clearly, this is not USB 2.0 rates, but
within the acceptable USB 1.1 rate as described on the Symantec
website.

I am running Windows XP with a LiveUpdate-current-version of
SystemWorks 2003.
Windows has correctly identified the enclosure as a USB 2 device.
What am I doing wrong?? How can I obtain USB 2.0 transfer rates?

peter

SystemWorks 2003 Ghost runs under DOS, so Windows environment does not
apply. How fast can you copy large files to/from USB drive in DOS?
WinPE and Ghost32.exe might perform much better.

Peter wrote:
> SystemWorks 2003 Ghost runs under DOS, so Windows environment does not
> apply. How fast can you copy large files to/from USB drive in DOS?
> WinPE and Ghost32.exe might perform much better.
>
> "zog" <jmarder01@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>A clone of my internal drive to an external Western Digital drive in a
>>USB 2.0 enclosure took over nine hours to copy 17gb. The transfer rate
>>never exceeded 29mb/minute. Clearly, this is not USB 2.0 rates, but
>>within the acceptable USB 1.1 rate as described on the Symantec
>>website.
>>
>>I am running Windows XP with a LiveUpdate-current-version of
>>SystemWorks 2003.
>>Windows has correctly identified the enclosure as a USB 2 device.
>>What am I doing wrong?? How can I obtain USB 2.0 transfer rates?

I recently trialled Norton Ghost 9 and it worked really fast; see recent
post.

This version runs in Windows and builds upon Drive Image from Powerquest
whom Symantec acquired.

When I used the earlier version I got about 40MB/min and I found a
section in the manual which said this rate was expected - very poor!

Zog

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004

did you copy the whole drive or volume, or just data and app
directories? That is, can you restore the full drive or partition from
your backup file or clone, or would you have to re-do the OS (and apps)
manually?"

PrashantP wrote:

> I recently trialled Norton Ghost 9 and it worked really fast; see
recent
> post.
>
> This version runs in Windows and builds upon Drive Image from
Powerquest
> whom Symantec acquired.
>
> When I used the earlier version I got about 40MB/min and I found a
> section in the manual which said this rate was expected - very poor!

>What card, if any, acts transparently to the operating system
>no changes to the data on the disk.
>
>In other words, the hardware has to know which disk is newer and ask
>the user which is newer if the disk drive was disconnected and
reconnected.

>It is OK for a controller based program to handle this at boot time.
>
>All of the controllers that I've seen for PCs change the disk format
>and don't operate transparently to the operating system. (I have seen

cheap raid cards here and on ebay.com
http://shopper-search.cnet.com/search?q=raid&nodeid=5&format=customlayout&channel=54&cat=319&allfields=0&k=43373145&ob=-9lwPrc

one all-in-one solution for a little more (comes with ejectable
drive bays):
http://www.addonics.com/products/external_hdd/combo_raid.asp

Here, you can hot swap the bad drive and the system will
automatically reimage the new drive.

As for the drive format, the ones I've worked with (Promise Tech,
Adaptec, built-in motherboard), don't do anything strange with the HD
format when in RAID 1 (mirror) mode. You can disconnect both from the
RAID IDE channel, attach either back to a regular non-RAID IDE channel,
and they work just fine. It's only when you've got them in striped mode
(RAID 0, 5, etc.) that the drive format will change and be unreadable
when you attach only one drive to any non-RAID IDE channel.