Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Acoustic management tool for Seagate drive?

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 9, 2004 7:59:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Just got a Seagate 7200.7 200GB SATA and drive and its just too noisy. I
figured I could just use the IBM feature tool to lower the acoustic level
but it doesn't support it.

Is there a application/dos program that will allow me to reduce the noise of
this drive?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 9, 2004 10:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously mikea <mikea@localhost.com> wrote:
> Just got a Seagate 7200.7 200GB SATA and drive and its just too noisy. I
> figured I could just use the IBM feature tool to lower the acoustic level
> but it doesn't support it.

> Is there a application/dos program that will allow me to reduce the noise of
> this drive?

AFAIK Seagate refused to buy a licence from the patent holder and
has therefore not been able to include acoustic management into
is newer drives.

Arno
--
For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 10, 2004 12:38:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:59:26 -0000, "mikea" <mikea@localhost.com>
wrote:

>Is there a application/dos program that will allow me to reduce the noise of
>this drive?

You can't hear them spin, but those little buggers do tick while
they're seeking don't they! I was wondering the same thing, but more
or less gave up when I checked the drive properties with Intel
Application Accelerator which reported that acoustic management was
not supported on those drives. I believe it too, because it reported
that it -was- available for the WD drives that are alongside them in
the same system.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 10, 2004 2:14:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"FoggyBottom" <fogbottom@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:h4hhr0tkdake728us0h967q6nv79i84d20@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:59:26 -0000, "mikea" <mikea@localhost.com>
> wrote:
>
>
> You can't hear them spin, but those little buggers do tick while
> they're seeking don't they! I was wondering the same thing, but more
> or less gave up when I checked the drive properties with Intel
> Application Accelerator which reported that acoustic management was
> not supported on those drives. I believe it too, because it reported
> that it -was- available for the WD drives that are alongside them in
> the same system.

really dissapointed with this drive. I bought it because it was supposed to
be a quiet performer. I actually installed it into a silencer and I can
still hear the thing easily. By contrast my maxtor diamondmax 9 200GB SATA
drive, which is also in a silencer really is silent.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 10, 2004 3:56:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

mikea wrote:

> Just got a Seagate 7200.7 200GB SATA and drive and its just too noisy. I
> figured I could just use the IBM feature tool to lower the acoustic level
> but it doesn't support it.
>
> Is there a application/dos program that will allow me to reduce the noise
> of this drive?

If you want quiet trade it on a PATA drive. Don't know if they still do it
but at one time Seagate was selling the PATA drives tuned for quiet and
SATA for performance. The acoustic management is not field-adjustable any
longer due to a lawsuit.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 10, 2004 3:58:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously mikea <mikea@localhost.com> wrote:
> "FoggyBottom" <fogbottom@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> news:h4hhr0tkdake728us0h967q6nv79i84d20@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:59:26 -0000, "mikea" <mikea@localhost.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>> You can't hear them spin, but those little buggers do tick while
>> they're seeking don't they! I was wondering the same thing, but more
>> or less gave up when I checked the drive properties with Intel
>> Application Accelerator which reported that acoustic management was
>> not supported on those drives. I believe it too, because it reported
>> that it -was- available for the WD drives that are alongside them in
>> the same system.

> really dissapointed with this drive. I bought it because it was supposed to
> be a quiet performer. I actually installed it into a silencer and I can
> still hear the thing easily. By contrast my maxtor diamondmax 9 200GB SATA
> drive, which is also in a silencer really is silent.

Yes, I had the same experience. Older Seagates: very quiet, newer ones
loud seek and no acoustic management.

Samsung HDDs are currently very quiet, ath least the 160GB one I have.
And Samsung does have acoustic management.

Arno
--
For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 10, 2004 8:05:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <cpam7s$mk9$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, mikea
<mikea@localhost.com> writes

>really dissapointed with this drive. I bought it because it was supposed to
>be a quiet performer.

I have the 7200.7 160Gb SATA. The only noise I can hear is the seeking,
and even then I have to listen hard. The only criticism I have of it is
that it seems to run a little warm (41C).

--
..sigmonster on vacation
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 3:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> Previously mikea <mikea@localhost.com> wrote:
> > "FoggyBottom" <fogbottom@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> > news:h4hhr0tkdake728us0h967q6nv79i84d20@4ax.com...
> >> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:59:26 -0000, "mikea" <mikea@localhost.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> You can't hear them spin, but those little buggers do tick while
> >> they're seeking don't they! I was wondering the same thing, but more
> >> or less gave up when I checked the drive properties with Intel
> >> Application Accelerator which reported that acoustic management was
> >> not supported on those drives. I believe it too, because it reported
> >> that it -was- available for the WD drives that are alongside them in
> >> the same system.
>
> > really dissapointed with this drive. I bought it because it was supposed to
> > be a quiet performer. I actually installed it into a silencer and I can
> > still hear the thing easily. By contrast my maxtor diamondmax 9 200GB SATA
> > drive, which is also in a silencer really is silent.
>
> Yes, I had the same experience. Older Seagates: very quiet, newer ones
> loud seek and no acoustic management.
>
> Samsung HDDs are currently very quiet, ath least the 160GB one I have.
> And Samsung does have acoustic management.
>
> Arno
> --
> For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
> GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
> "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus


Hello, Arno:

Very true, indeed, about Samsung drives. My PC features two such
160GB hard disks (SP1614N) and they're absolutely silent, at all times.
Unlike my old Western Digital and Maxtor models, I never even hear them
"clicking," when they're reading or writing.

With these Samsung babies, therefore, a HDD activity light is a definite
requirement! <g>


Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 7:56:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On 10 Dec 2004, Arno Wagner wrote:

>> really dissapointed with this drive. I bought it because it was
>> supposed to be a quiet performer. I actually installed it into
>> a silencer and I can still hear the thing easily. By contrast
>> my maxtor diamondmax 9 200GB SATA drive, which is also in a
>> silencer really is silent.
>
> Yes, I had the same experience. Older Seagates: very quiet,
> newer ones loud seek and no acoustic management.
>
> Samsung HDDs are currently very quiet, ath least the 160GB one I
> have. And Samsung does have acoustic management.



I find the current 160 GB Diamondmax 9 PATA to be about as quiet as a
160 GB Samsung PATA. Nor is that Diamondmax particularly hot.

ISTR that the Diamondmax 9 is a better than average performer while
Samsungs are often poorer than average performers.
!