adding second drive with 3.5 bay??

I would like to add a second hard drive to my emachines T4160 but there is
not an open 3.5 bay to put it in. There are 2 larger bays availble like you
would use for a dvd. The existing hard drive is mounted vertically on the
front wall of the case, the 3.5 floppy is mounted horizontally above it and
the 2 open bays above that.

What are my options for installing the second drive?

I would suspect that there are bay kits available but I don't know what to
search for.

thanks for your help.

Dean

"Dean Dummitt" <noway@noway.com> wrote in message
>I would like to add a second hard drive to my emachines T4160 but there is
> not an open 3.5 bay to put it in. There are 2 larger bays availble like
> you
> would use for a dvd. The existing hard drive is mounted vertically on the
> front wall of the case, the 3.5 floppy is mounted horizontally above it
> and
> the 2 open bays above that.
>
> What are my options for installing the second drive?
>
> I would suspect that there are bay kits available but I don't know what to
> search for.
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> Dean

You need something like this:

http://www.directron.com/mis-kit-hd.html

"Dean Dummitt" wrote:
>I would like to add a second hard drive to my emachines
> T4160 but there is not an open 3.5 bay to put it in. There
> are 2 larger bays availble like you would use for a dvd.
> The existing hard drive is mounted vertically on the front
> wall of the case, the 3.5 floppy is mounted horizontally
> above it and the 2 open bays above that.
>
> What are my options for installing the second drive?
>
> I would suspect that there are bay kits available but I don't
> know what to search for.

The cheapest approach is to use adapter brackets like
you have been shown. A more flexible way is to use a
"mobile rack", a.k.a. "caddy", "removable drawer/tray", etc.
This assembly by Kingwin goes for about $24 via online retailers:
http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=25&ID=136
Extra trays go for about $12 to $14. Here is another rack-'n-
drawer product, probably made by the same manufacturer as
Kingwin's, with a slightly different front grill for $19:
http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/1101977002963568/9/nc/Mobile%20Rack/1107/Mobile%20Rack%20Aluminum%20Beige%20MR-ATN-891-W

The advantage of a removable tray is that you can use
several trays with one rack and thus you can slide in different
HDs for different classes of data or backups. You can also
run different operating systems this way. I also use shielded
"round" 80-wire IDE cables with my HDs and removable HD
rack, and they all work out quite well.

*TimDaniels*

"Dean Dummitt" <noway@noway.com> wrote in message
> I would like to add a second hard drive to my emachines T4160 but there is
> not an open 3.5 bay to put it in. There are 2 larger bays availble like
you
> would use for a dvd. The existing hard drive is mounted vertically on the
> front wall of the case, the 3.5 floppy is mounted horizontally above it
and
> the 2 open bays above that.

As Bob says you need a mounting kit. Most computer good shops know what
these are.

You could also consider buying a drive cooler - these usually comprise the
same mounting brackets as mentioned by Bob plus a new front panel with a fan
fitted, and some cables to allow the fan to be connected to the power
supply. The drive brackets are easy to fit but I've always found the new
front panel with fan fiddly to fit (I've done three).

TRENDING THREADS