Converting .mov to .avi

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 10, 2004 12:26:00 AM

Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert .mov
format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would like
to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips (Washington,
DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
..mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would even
pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.

Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

More about : converting mov avi

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:27:25 AM

QuickTime Pro. www.quicktime.com But it's not free.
www.coribright.com

"Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
> .mov
> format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
> like
> to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
> (Washington,
> DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
> does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
> recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
> .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
>
> Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
> even
> pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:27:26 AM

Hackz and crackz abound for this software.

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> QuickTime Pro. www.quicktime.com But it's not free.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
> > .mov
> > format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
> > like
> > to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
> > (Washington,
> > DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However,
WMM
> > does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
> > recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe,
..mpeg,
> > .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
> >
> > Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
> > even
> > pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 10, 2004 10:54:46 AM

"Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
..mov
> format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
like
> to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
(Washington,
> DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
> does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
> recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
> .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
>
> Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
even
> pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

hi Katy

Rad Video Tools is freeware that can convert .mov files to .avi. Not tried
it yet, but from the short tutorial here
http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm
it looks like it's a simple enough program to use.
You could also try posting your question at alt.comp.freeware - a very
helpful & knowledgeable bunch who may be able to help further.

hth

kline
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 6:58:06 AM

The free QuickTime player (www.quicktime.com) should allow you to Export to
other formats, including AVI.

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

"Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
..mov
> format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
like
> to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
(Washington,
> DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
> does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
> recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
> .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
>
> Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
even
> pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

August 23, 2004 10:11:13 PM

Thank you EVERYONE for all the great advice! I did end up downloading the
QuickTime Player and managed to export to the .avi mode for most of the
videos. For some reason 'some' were unable to be converted; QT didn't give
a reason, it just never 'finished' the process so was not converted. I'll
try the freeware now to see if that might be able to do the job for the
missing files. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! Don't know what I'd do without
your help!!
katy

!