Converting .mov to .avi

Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert .mov
format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would like
to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips (Washington,
DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
..mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would even
pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.

Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy
5 answers Last reply
More about converting

    QuickTime Pro. www.quicktime.com But it's not free.
    www.coribright.com

    "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
    > .mov
    > format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
    > like
    > to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
    > (Washington,
    > DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
    > does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
    > recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
    > .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
    >
    > Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
    > even
    > pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

    Hackz and crackz abound for this software.

    "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > QuickTime Pro. www.quicktime.com But it's not free.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
    > > .mov
    > > format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
    > > like
    > > to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
    > > (Washington,
    > > DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However,
    WMM
    > > does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
    > > recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe,
    ..mpeg,
    > > .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
    > >
    > > Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
    > > even
    > > pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

    "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
    ..mov
    > format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
    like
    > to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
    (Washington,
    > DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
    > does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
    > recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
    > .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
    >
    > Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
    even
    > pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

    hi Katy

    Rad Video Tools is freeware that can convert .mov files to .avi. Not tried
    it yet, but from the short tutorial here
    http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm
    it looks like it's a simple enough program to use.
    You could also try posting your question at alt.comp.freeware - a very
    helpful & knowledgeable bunch who may be able to help further.

    hth

    kline

    The free QuickTime player (www.quicktime.com) should allow you to Export to
    other formats, including AVI.

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
    ..mov
    > format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
    like
    > to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
    (Washington,
    > DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However, WMM
    > does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
    > recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg,
    > .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
    >
    > Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
    even
    > pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Thank you EVERYONE for all the great advice! I did end up downloading the
    QuickTime Player and managed to export to the .avi mode for most of the
    videos. For some reason 'some' were unable to be converted; QT didn't give
    a reason, it just never 'finished' the process so was not converted. I'll
    try the freeware now to see if that might be able to do the job for the
    missing files. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! Don't know what I'd do without
    your help!!
    katy

    "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
    > The free QuickTime player (www.quicktime.com) should allow you to Export
    > other formats, including AVI.
    >
    > --
    > "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which
    differ
    > from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    > incapable of forming such opinions."
    > -- Albert Einstein
    >

    > "Katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, hopefully easy, program to convert
    > .mov
    > > format videos (from Kodak digital camera) to an .avi format? I would
    > like
    > > to use Windows Movie Maker to tie together my short .mov clips
    > (Washington,
    > > DC vacation) from my Kodak camera into one video using WMM. However,
    WMM
    > > does not recognize the .mov extension and the only extensions it WILL
    > > recognize are: Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe,
    ..mpeg,
    > > .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
    > >
    > > Is there such a program to convert these with, hopefully free but would
    > even
    > > pay a small amount since I don't have a LOT to convert.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for ANY help........... katy

Cameras Video AVI Peripherals