Chrome to Finally Pull Ahead of Firefox in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

resetrsx

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
At the rate IE is losing and Google is gaining market share, if this keeps up, Google will be #1 by the end of next year.

resetrsx

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Out of curiosity, what browsers are you guys using?

I mainly use Chrome unless I'm having a problem with a particular site, which I usually assume is optimized for IE, so I use IE 9 as a backup.

I also have Firefox, but it got annoying keeping up with all of the updates breaking my plugins constantly, so I don't use it as much anymore.

tearsana

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I use both Chrome and Firefox, but I use Firefox more simply because of the master password option. I don't feel secure having my browser save my passwords but no master password to unlock them. Call me paranoid, but security is at the top of required features. Having a master password is better than having no master password at all.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]resetrsx[/nom]At the rate IE is losing and Google is gaining market share, if this keeps up, Google will be #1 by the end of next year.[/citation]

It will take a long time to knock IE off their top spot - majority of businesses still use IE and they aren't in a hurry to change.

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I love Chrome but keep an updated version of IE with limited security and no add-ons for compatibility with primitive programs such as Battlelog, thanks Origin!

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I pretty much exclusively use firefox nightly. If it ever breaks on a nightly basis, I just use Firefox 9. It keeps the settings. If that doesn't work, chrome is a backup.

I always hear people talking about memory issues or slow loads or what have you. I must be the most corner case there is, because sunspider in firefox 11 is about 15% faster than the current release chrome to me, with 20 tabs I have a 550 mb footprint, and even running the nightly it crashes once a month. So I've just been on the FF wagon since 2000 and have had no reason to get off.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Using chrome on my 512kbps connection.Aside from privacy issues,honestly its the fastest browser out there.I have all the browsers on my PC and apart from chrome they all have a "laggy" feeling to them.Chrome feels more responsive on my PCAs far as security goes already have norton 2012.Speed+security-chrome ftw

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
My Browser of choice (in this order):
1. Nightly (64-bit)
2. Google Chrome
3. Opera
4. Internet Explorer (32-bit)
5. Internet Explorer (64-bit) - I don't bother with this version because I figure it's pointless, mainly because if it doesn't work in Nightly, it's because of the lack of availability of a certain plug-in.

On a related note, I wish Google and Mozilla would release stable 64-bit versions of their browsers. We kind of needed this, like yesterday (to say the least). Can you even GET a computer with 3 GB or less of RAM anymore? Thus pushing the RAM to 4 GB and higher and not having a need for a 32-bit OS.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Another Opera user here.I don't care about market share unless some site neglect my browser support. And then it is annoying because some menu doesn't work.

G

I'm using Firefox cause I'm so used to the add-ons, but sometimes I feel it's just using too much memory I will interchange with Chrome.

I'm still using IE for my development work.
When I browse Chinese web sites, I will use Maxthon, it's actually very good.

I'm interested to try opera though

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Opera tends to get lower rating due to the fact that it doesn't send request to the server in many situations, due to caching / built-in add blocker.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I still have Firefox installed but have become increasingly frustrated with its new "update" model, memory management, and slow startup.

Im now use chrome about 90% of the time and so far am happy with it.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Looks like the Opera users are out in force!

Personally I use Chrome almost exclusively. The only exception is when Chrome decides it doesnt want to work, I use Firefox as my backup.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
This is sad....Google cannot fix the simplest of issues - like, being able to remove all the header/footer crap the force when you go and print out a page. Some other things that have been long standing issues that they haven't fixed.

I'm glad I changed over to FireFox...more recent versions use far less memory that Chrome when I have 60+ tabs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.