Sector By Sector Cloning

Hi folks,

Any recommendations on a good utility that would clone a hard drive
sector by sector. I want to make an exact copy of a bad hard drive
with deleted files before trying to recover the data.

The problem with Ghost is it stops if an error occurs on the source
drive and it is the empty space that has the deleted data.

Thanks,
Art
7 answers Last reply
More about sector sector cloning

    AW wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Any recommendations on a good utility that would clone a hard drive
    > sector by sector. I want to make an exact copy of a bad hard drive
    > with deleted files before trying to recover the data.
    >
    > The problem with Ghost is it stops if an error occurs on the source
    > drive and it is the empty space that has the deleted data.

    Try using the "-IR" flag with ghost.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999110813413225

    --
    -WD

    "Will Dormann" wrote:
    > Try using the "-IR" flag with ghost.
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999110813413225

    Does that apply to Ghost 9.0 as well - which doesn't use a command line?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Will Dormann" wrote:
    >> Try using the "-IR" flag with ghost.
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999110813413225
    >

    > Does that apply to Ghost 9.0 as well - which doesn't use a
    > command line?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Nope, for that purpose you will have to untick the appropriate verify
    option(s) in the options section in the wizard...But that's a cure hoping
    for the best...better would be running a chkdsk /f and a defrag before
    creating either a backup or a copy...

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    "AW" wrote

    >Any recommendations on a good utility that would clone a hard drive
    >sector by sector. I want to make an exact copy of a bad hard drive
    >with deleted files before trying to recover the data.

    You might want to try Linux, then.
    If you go here http://www.sysresccd.org/systools.en.php
    you can download the ISO image of a bootable Linux distro (based on Gentoo)
    that contains several tools to analyze and recover disk data (it' little
    more then 100 MB).
    Burn the ISO on a CD and set your PC to boot from CD first: you will be
    running a fully functional Linux distro in a matter of *seconds*.

    To clone a disk you could use dd and dd_rescue.

    cheers,
    Peltio
    who is going to do the same on his disk. I am still in the documentation
    phase, now : )

    "Peltio" <peltio@twilight.zone> wrote in message

    > You might want to try Linux, then.
    > If you go here http://www.sysresccd.org/systools.en.php
    > you can download the ISO image of a bootable Linux distro (based on Gentoo)
    > that contains several tools to analyze and recover disk data (it' little
    > more then 100 MB).
    > Burn the ISO on a CD and set your PC to boot from CD first: you will be
    > running a fully functional Linux distro in a matter of *seconds*.
    >
    > To clone a disk you could use dd and dd_rescue.

    Trinity Rescue Kit is half the size, 47.5MB. There is also unixutls for
    Windows, which has dd. If the source has bad sectors, you have to use
    conv=noerror,sync.

    Dd is best for sector cloning, but there is a Linux utility for cloning
    partitions. There is also ntfsclone, part of ntfs tools.

    AW <atw58@rogers.com> wrote:

    > Any recommendations on a good utility that would clone a hard drive
    > sector by sector. I want to make an exact copy of a bad hard drive
    > with deleted files before trying to recover the data.
    >
    > The problem with Ghost is it stops if an error occurs on the source
    > drive and it is the empty space that has the deleted data.

    You could try CloneDisk, from www.resq.co.il/resq.php

    Regards
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Will Dormann" wrote:
    >> Try using the "-IR" flag with ghost.
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999110813413225
    >

    > Does that apply to Ghost 9.0 as well - which doesn't use a command
    > line?

    If you have ghost 9.0 (which is really DriveImage 8) then you also have
    ghost 2003 on the CD.

    --
    Mike

Hardware Storage