Ghost 9.0's Copy Drive, Cloning & SP2

I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything else.
(This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of this
on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down, switching
the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I would test
DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
34 answers Last reply
More about ghost copy drive cloning

    JP wrote:

    > I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
    > clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
    > drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
    > adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
    > where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything
    > else.
    > (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
    > which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
    > installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
    > Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
    > Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
    > message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
    > acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of
    > this
    > on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
    > solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
    > Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
    > little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
    > looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
    > it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
    > Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
    > program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
    > need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down,
    > switching the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
    > into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do
    > when I would test
    > DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Why don't you just mirror the drives?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "JP" wrote:
    > I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do
    > is simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that
    > in the event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable
    > from C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a
    > hard drive that would be identical to where I last backed up
    > by making the clone and without doing anything else.
    > (This is a cable-select configuration.)

    It doesn't matter if it's Cable Select or explicitly jumpered.
    If the Master disappears, the Slave will be next in line in
    the boot sequence automatically. Or you can set the boot
    sequence manually to put the Slave at the head of the
    boot sequence. In short, Master/Slave does not matter
    for booting.

    > I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility called
    > DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
    > Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
    > Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0.
    > Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with
    > SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
    > Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known
    > issue with no solution (but no word of this on their Web site).
    > [...........]
    > I'm looking for a program that will do what PowerQuest's
    > DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
    > immediately test the results by powering down, switching
    > the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
    > into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used
    > to do when I would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this
    > program to be known to work with SP2.

    You may need Microsoft's .NET Framework re-installed. I use
    PowerQuest's Drive Copy 7.1, the precursor to Ghost 9.0, and
    it works fine with WinXP SP2. BTW, if you put the power cable
    for disk 1 on a DPST toggle switch, you won't have to disconnect
    its cables to switch to disk 2. If you toggle it OFF (while it's
    powered DOWN!), it won't be visible upon startup. But don't let
    disk 2's WinXP clone see it again until the clone has been booted
    up for the 1st time in isolation, or the clone will forever depend on
    the continued presence of the original in order to function. (This
    latter fact was contributed by a poster here named Rod Speed.)

    *TimDaniels*

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    > JP wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
    >> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
    >> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
    >> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
    >> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
    >> and without doing anything else.
    >> (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's
    >> DirveImage which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very
    >> well, but when I installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer
    >> worked. So I bought Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes
    >> Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed
    >> with SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
    >> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known issue
    >> with no solution (but no word of this
    >> on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
    >> solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even
    >> used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these
    >> boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard
    >> drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks
    >> there correctly state that it's not made for this and it doesn't
    >> quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does not
    >> have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do what
    >> PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
    >> immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
    >> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
    >> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
    >> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
    >> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Why don't you just mirror the drives?

    Thanks, John, for your reply. But how do I mirror the drives?

    JP wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> JP wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
    >>> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
    >>> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
    >>> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
    >>> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
    >>> and without doing anything else.
    >>> (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's
    >>> DirveImage which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very
    >>> well, but when I installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer
    >>> worked. So I bought Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes
    >>> Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed
    >>> with SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
    >>> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known issue
    >>> with no solution (but no word of this
    >>> on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
    >>> solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even
    >>> used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these
    >>> boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard
    >>> drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks
    >>> there correctly state that it's not made for this and it doesn't
    >>> quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does not
    >>> have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do what
    >>> PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
    >>> immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
    >>> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
    >>> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
    >>> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
    >>> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Why don't you just mirror the drives?
    >>

    > Thanks, John, for your reply. But how do I mirror the drives?

    If you are running Linux or any server version of Windows the capability is
    native in the operating system. If not then you need a disk controller
    that supports that. Many motherboards come with the capability built in.
    If yours doesn't then take a look at the Promise, Highpoint, 3Ware, LSI
    Logic, and Tekram sites for a wide range of solutions.

    --

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in

    > "JP" wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do
    >> is simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that
    >> in the event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable
    >> from C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a
    >> hard drive that would be identical to where I last backed up
    >> by making the clone and without doing anything else.
    >> (This is a cable-select configuration.)
    >

    > It doesn't matter if it's Cable Select or explicitly jumpered.
    > If the Master disappears, the Slave will be next in line in
    > the boot sequence automatically. Or you can set the boot
    > sequence manually to put the Slave at the head of the
    > boot sequence. In short, Master/Slave does not matter
    > for booting.
    >

    >> I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility called
    >> DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
    >> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
    >> Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0.
    >> Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with
    >> SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
    >> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known
    >> issue with no solution (but no word of this on their Web site).
    >> [...........]
    >> I'm looking for a program that will do what PowerQuest's
    >> DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
    >> immediately test the results by powering down, switching
    >> the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
    >> into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used
    >> to do when I would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this
    >> program to be known to work with SP2.
    >

    > You may need Microsoft's .NET Framework re-installed. I use
    > PowerQuest's Drive Copy 7.1, the precursor to Ghost 9.0, and
    > it works fine with WinXP SP2. BTW, if you put the power cable
    > for disk 1 on a DPST toggle switch, you won't have to disconnect
    > its cables to switch to disk 2. If you toggle it OFF (while it's
    > powered DOWN!), it won't be visible upon startup. But don't let
    > disk 2's WinXP clone see it again until the clone has been booted
    > up for the 1st time in isolation, or the clone will forever depend
    on
    > the continued presence of the original in order to function.
    (This
    > latter fact was contributed by a poster here named Rod Speed.)
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Tim:
    I didn't know that about the boot sequence. Thanks. I'll keep all that
    in mind if I'm ever able to once again clone my C: drive to D: like I
    used to do. Also it's very interesting that you are using PQ's
    DriveCopy 7.1 with SP2. I was using DriveImage (which includes
    DriveCopy) 2002. I don't know if that's earlier or later than your
    version 7.1 as I can find no other version number. If you or someone
    else knows, please let me know. Also, how would you reinstall (only?)
    ..NET Framework? Anyway, it is encouraging that you are using PQ's
    DriveCopy. I am going to try again to get it to work for me. Thanks
    again.

    "JP" wrote:
    > [......] it's very interesting that you are using PQ's
    > DriveCopy 7.1 with SP2. I was using DriveImage
    > (which includes DriveCopy) 2002. I don't know if
    > that's earlier or later than your version 7.1 as I can
    > find no other version number. If you or someone
    > else knows, please let me know.

    Drive Image 7.0 was the last version issued on CD
    by PowerQuest (that I know of). Versions 7.1 and
    7.2 (possibly called "7.01" and "7.02" were
    downloadable fixes to bugs in 7.0 . The included
    copy of Drive Image 2002 worked only miserably
    for me as it wouldn't do DMA and it took more
    than an hour to copy 20GB. When I finally figured
    out what .NET Framework was and how to get it,
    its installation solved the version 7.0 problem.

    > Also, how would you reinstall (only?) .NET Framework?

    Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/
    Microsoft .NET Framework/Remove

    Then download another copy from Microsoft and
    install it again. For version 1.1 of the .NET Framework
    Redistributable Package, go to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

    If that doesn't work, try re-installing Ghost 9.0, as it's
    possible that it might need Framework to already
    be there when it's installed. (In fact, the PowerQuest
    User's Guide said that explicitly.)

    > JP wrote:
    >
    >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    >>> Why don't you just mirror the drives?
    >>>

    >> Thanks, John, for your reply. But how do I mirror the drives?
    >
    > If you are running Linux or any server version of Windows the
    > capability is native in the operating system. If not then you need a
    > disk controller that supports that. Many motherboards come with the
    > capability built in. If yours doesn't then take a look at the Promise,
    > Highpoint, 3Ware, LSI Logic, and Tekram sites for a wide range of
    > solutions.

    Thanks again John, I'll look into that.

    JP wrote:
    > I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
    > simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
    > event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
    > C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
    > that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
    > and without doing anything else. (This is a cable-select
    > configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility
    > called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
    > Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought Norton
    > SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
    > Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
    > message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
    > acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word
    > of this on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming
    > possible solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail.
    > I even used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on
    > these boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal
    > hard drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the
    > folks there correctly state that it's not made for this and it
    > doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does
    > not have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do
    > what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able
    > to immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
    > cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
    > exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
    > would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
    > work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    What are "error message E7C3000F among other problems"...? The SnapShot
    technology is, in your case, apparently not able to take a snapshot of those
    sectors that show problems...
    So what "time-consuming possible solutions which costed you hours of testing
    ...." have you tried...?

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in

    > JP wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
    >> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
    >> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
    >> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
    >> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
    >> and without doing anything else. (This is a cable-select
    >> configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility
    >> called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
    >> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought Norton
    >> SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
    >> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
    >> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
    >> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word
    >> of this on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming
    >> possible solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail.
    >> I even used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on
    >> these boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal
    >> hard drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the
    >> folks there correctly state that it's not made for this and it
    >> doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does
    >> not have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do
    >> what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able
    >> to immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
    >> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
    >> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
    >> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
    >> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > What are "error message E7C3000F among other problems"...? The
    > SnapShot technology is, in your case, apparently not able to take a
    > snapshot of those
    > sectors that show problems...
    > So what "time-consuming possible solutions which costed you hours of
    > testing ..." have you tried...?

    Michael, thank you for your reply.
    About five minutes into the copy routine everything stopped and I
    received Error E7C3000F. At the beginning of the reboot I got a blue
    screen stating, in part:
    Deleting orphan file record segment xxxx....
    (This scrolled by counting about 200,000 files.)
    Then it stated:
    Correcting orphan file record segment xxx....
    (Another scroll with many files.)
    Deleting index entry xxxx (many files)
    Recovering orphaned file xxxx...(many files)
    Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file
    xxxxx.....(many files)
    Chkdsk....

    Along with the previously mentioned efforts, Symantec sent the
    following, which I thoroughly followed even though they began by stating
    that "there is no current solution."
    ---
    Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support

    I apologize for the inconveniences you are currently facing.

    From your post, I understand that you were previously using Drive Image
    2002 to copy your primary hard drive to another hard drive and after
    installing Norton Ghost 9.0when you tried to perform the same operation
    you are encountering an error message with code E7C3000F. And on reboot
    after the failed process you notice that Windows performs as check on
    the disk and reported errors on files.

    I regret to inform you that this issue is currently under investigation
    by Symantec and the cause of this issue is unknown and there is no
    current solution at this point of time.

    However in order to further troubleshoot this issue and reach at a
    solution, please refer to the following workarounds:

    1. Run CHKDSK on the source drive:

    Please note that this issues can occur if your hard drive surface is
    damaged. In order to make sure that your hard disk surface is not
    damaged, I suggest that you please run CHKDSK with the appropriate
    switches on DOS mode. To do so, please refer to the following document
    provided in the link below:

    Title: 'How to run Microsoft CHKDSK from the command line'
    Document ID: 2004066687571562
    > Web URL:
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/20040666875715
    62

    Note: Please refer to the above document to resolve your issue, please
    ignore the products that are supported by the above document.

    2. Optimize your system:

    This issue can also occur if there is some resource conflicts with other
    programs and Symantec programs. In order to eliminate any system
    resource conflicts, I suggest that you please optimize your system
    resources and check whether the issue gets resolved. To do so, please
    refer to the following document provided in the link below:

    Title: 'Basic guide to optimizing system resources'
    Document ID: 2002061015214139
    >Web URL:
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/200206101521413
    9

    After performing the above steps, please perform the operation of Copy
    Drive again and check whether this issue is resolved. And if you wish to
    know how to copy a disk to disk using the Copy Drive feature with
    appropriate options, please refer to the following document provided in
    the link below:

    Title: 'How to copy disk-to-disk using Norton Ghost 9.0'
    Document ID: 2004111701520562
    > Web URL:
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/20041117015205
    62

    Please let me know if the issue has been resolved.

    Regards,

    Arun Kumar
    Symantec Authorized Technical Support
    ---
    I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with XP
    SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal hard
    drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this issue
    with Ghost.
    Thanks

    "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with XP
    > SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal hard
    > drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this issue
    > with Ghost.

    Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on DriveImage)?
    That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a floppy or bootable CD.

    I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do imaging as a
    form of backup.. I don't restore from images very often.). Our workplace
    uses it to clone drives.

    I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS) that is
    totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    > "JP" wrote:
    >> [......] it's very interesting that you are using PQ's
    >> DriveCopy 7.1 with SP2. I was using DriveImage
    >> (which includes DriveCopy) 2002. I don't know if
    >> that's earlier or later than your version 7.1 as I can
    >> find no other version number. If you or someone
    >> else knows, please let me know.
    >

    > Drive Image 7.0 was the last version issued on CD
    > by PowerQuest (that I know of). Versions 7.1 and
    > 7.2 (possibly called "7.01" and "7.02" were
    > downloadable fixes to bugs in 7.0 . The included
    > copy of Drive Image 2002 worked only miserably
    > for me as it wouldn't do DMA and it took more
    > than an hour to copy 20GB. When I finally figured
    > out what .NET Framework was and how to get it,
    > its installation solved the version 7.0 problem.
    >

    >> Also, how would you reinstall (only?) .NET Framework?
    >

    > Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/
    > Microsoft .NET Framework/Remove
    >
    > Then download another copy from Microsoft and
    > install it again. For version 1.1 of the .NET Framework
    > Redistributable Package, go to:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-
    f589-
    > 4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en
    >
    > If that doesn't work, try re-installing Ghost 9.0, as it's
    > possible that it might need Framework to already
    > be there when it's installed. (In fact, the PowerQuest
    > User's Guide said that explicitly.)
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Well, I had and I removed Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 then reinstalled
    from Microsoft's site to no avail. I have the same problem with Ghost
    and PowerQuest's DriveCopy still doesn't work but it now has a different
    problem. It displays

    "Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive 1, but disk manager
    is not running. If you are booting from a floppy, remove the floppy
    disk and reboot. Press and hold the <Space Bar> key as your computer
    restarts. When prompted insert your boot floppy and continue booting."

    The only thing I haven't tried is the suggestion to uninstall/reinstall
    Ghost after the reinstall of .NET Framework 1.1. I hesitate to do this
    as this Ghost is intertwined with Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which
    includes AnitVirus (the only program Symantec has that I've tried and
    works correctly almost all of the time). I would have to uninstall the
    entire package and reinstall, gambling that it would all go smoothly
    including reinstatement of my subscription. A tall order given
    Symantec's track record. In taking that risk I would be betting that
    this is the trick that works while all others failed. I would do it if
    someone had this specific issue that was solved by this method, but as
    far as I can tell, that's not the case. Interestingly, a Google search
    of

    E7C3000F Ghost

    doesn't produce much. I'm about ready to give up and hope that with
    time Symantec identifies and/or fixes this issue.

    Thank you all.

    "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in

    > "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with
    >> XP SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal
    >> hard drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this
    >> issue with Ghost.
    >
    > Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on
    > DriveImage)? That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a
    > floppy or bootable CD.
    >
    > I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do imaging
    > as a form of backup.. I don't restore from images very often.). Our
    > workplace uses it to clone drives.
    >
    > I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
    > that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..

    Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no CURRENT
    program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?

    www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.
    www.diydatarecovery.nl: DiskPatch

    JP wrote:
    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in
    >

    >> "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with
    >>> XP SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal
    >>> hard drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this
    >>> issue with Ghost.
    >>
    >> Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on
    >> DriveImage)? That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a
    >> floppy or bootable CD.
    >>
    >> I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do
    >> imaging as a form of backup.. I don't restore from images very
    >> often.). Our workplace uses it to clone drives.
    >>
    >> I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
    >> that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
    >
    > Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
    > CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?

    Ghost 2003's (included in the boxed version of Ghost 9 or present in the
    Ghost folder on the NSW 2005 Premier CD) forensic copy using the -ia (and in
    conjunction with the -ib) switch. It performs a sector based copy (clone) in
    the DOS environment...

    --

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > "JP" <news.8.jpatsg@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot
    >> > (DOS) that is totally independent of the drives being
    >> > cloned/imaged..
    >>
    >> Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
    >> CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
    >
    > www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.
    > www.diydatarecovery.nl: DiskPatch

    Thank you for those suggestions Eric, I'll take a look.

    > JP wrote:
    >> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on
    >>> DriveImage)? That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a
    >>> floppy or bootable CD.
    >>>
    >>> I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do
    >>> imaging as a form of backup.. I don't restore from images very
    >>> often.). Our workplace uses it to clone drives.
    >>>
    >>> I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
    >>> that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
    >>
    >> Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
    >> CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
    >
    > Ghost 2003's (included in the boxed version of Ghost 9 or present in
    > the Ghost folder on the NSW 2005 Premier CD) forensic copy using the
    > -ia (and in conjunction with the -ib) switch. It performs a sector
    > based copy (clone) in the DOS environment...

    Now THAT looks like it might be just what I need. I have a difficult week
    of work ahead of me, but I WILL be trying it this weekend.

    Thank you so much Michael and best regards.

    JP wrote:

    > I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
    > clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
    > drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
    > adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
    > where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything else.
    > (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
    > which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
    > installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
    > Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
    > Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
    > message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
    > acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of this
    > on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
    > solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
    > Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
    > little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
    > looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
    > it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
    > Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
    > program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
    > need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down, switching
    > the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
    > exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I would test
    > DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning package I have ever
    used - basically a couple of clicks, copies 8GB in about 5 minutes.
    Swap drives around, boots straight away.

    I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots off the
    competition.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    "Odie Ferrous" wrote:
    > Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning
    > package I have ever used - basically a couple of clicks,
    > copies 8GB in about 5 minutes. Swap drives around,
    > boots straight away.
    >
    > I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots
    > off the competition.

    At Future Systems Solutions' website
    http://www.fssdev.com/

    Review in PCWorld (June 3, 2004):

    *TimDaniels*
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:23:13 UTC, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no CURRENT
    > > program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
    >
    > www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.

    Plus Linux and OS2 versions in the same package :-)

    Downloadable version is FULL function, no crippleware.
    Regsitration required for non-evaluation use only.

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Jan van Wijk" <jvw.no.spam@dfsee.com> wrote in

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:23:13 UTC, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> > Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
    >> > CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
    >>
    >> www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.
    >
    > Plus Linux and OS2 versions in the same package :-)
    >
    > Downloadable version is FULL function, no crippleware.
    > Regsitration required for non-evaluation use only.
    >
    > Regards, JvW

    Thanks Jan
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > JP wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
    >> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
    >> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
    >> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
    >> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
    >> and without doing anything else. (This is a cable-select
    >> configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility
    >> called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
    >> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought Norton
    >> SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
    >> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
    >> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
    >> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word
    >> of this on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming
    >> possible solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail.
    >> I even used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on
    >> these boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal
    >> hard drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the
    >> folks there correctly state that it's not made for this and it
    >> doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does
    >> not have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do
    >> what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able
    >> to immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
    >> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
    >> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
    >> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
    >> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning package I have ever
    > used - basically a couple of clicks, copies 8GB in about 5 minutes.
    > Swap drives around, boots straight away.
    >
    > I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots off the
    > competition.
    >

    > Odie

    I found Casper XP. If this lives up to its claims, it would be the best
    cloning program yet and exactly what I need. Also, in the PC Magazine
    review of this (a link to it is on the Casper site) it states: "The
    Create Drive wizard is the equivalent of using Windows' built-in drive-
    management console." Is this referring to Control Panel, Administrative
    Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management or something else? Anyway,
    I'm going to look into this. Thanks Odie.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in news:9v-dnWm-
    HKiq_iDcRVn-gg@comcast.com:

    > "Odie Ferrous" wrote:
    >> Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning
    >> package I have ever used - basically a couple of clicks,
    >> copies 8GB in about 5 minutes. Swap drives around,
    >> boots straight away.
    >>
    >> I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots
    >> off the competition.
    >

    > At Future Systems Solutions' website
    > http://www.fssdev.com/
    >
    > Review in PCWorld (June 3, 2004):
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Perfect (I hope). Thanks again Tim.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method of software
    duping, why not consider spending the money you've put into these into a
    nice RAID card that supports mirroring?

    This simple card would automatically mirror the drives live (ie. 100% of
    the time), so that anytime one drive fails, you can swap directly to the
    2nd working backup immediately w/o any downtime at all.

    These cards sell for <$40 everywhere from companies like Adaptec, etc.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "David Chien" wrote:
    > Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method
    > of software duping, why not consider spending the
    > money you've put into these into a nice RAID card that
    > supports mirroring?
    >
    > This simple card would automatically mirror the drives
    > live (ie. 100% of the time), so that anytime one drive fails,
    > you can swap directly to the 2nd working backup
    > immediately w/o any downtime at all.

    And if the OS should get hosed by some bad software
    or by user error, the mirror OS gets hosed, too, and both
    drives are useless. IOW, "mirroring" duplicates good and
    bad without any time delay to allow you to say "Ooops!"
    and then to back track.

    *TimDaniels*
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    JP wrote:

    > I found Casper XP. If this lives up to its claims, it would be the best
    > cloning program yet and exactly what I need. Also, in the PC Magazine
    > review of this (a link to it is on the Casper site) it states: "The
    > Create Drive wizard is the equivalent of using Windows' built-in drive-
    > management console." Is this referring to Control Panel, Administrative
    > Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management or something else? Anyway,
    > I'm going to look into this. Thanks Odie.

    I do know they are still looking for beta testers.

    Do a google groups search for CasperXP (or "casper XP") for details.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in news:41BDC9D4.8E9DC0C9
    @hotmail.com:

    > JP wrote:
    >>

    >> I found Casper XP. If this lives up to its claims, it would be the best
    >> cloning program yet and exactly what I need. Also, in the PC Magazine
    >> review of this (a link to it is on the Casper site) it states: "The
    >> Create Drive wizard is the equivalent of using Windows' built-in drive-
    >> management console." Is this referring to Control Panel, Administrative
    >> Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management or something else? Anyway,
    >> I'm going to look into this. Thanks Odie.
    >
    > I do know they are still looking for beta testers.
    >
    > Do a google groups search for CasperXP (or "casper XP") for details.
    >

    > Odie

    Thanks again, Odie
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "David Chien" wrote:
    >> Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method
    >> of software duping, why not consider spending the
    >> money you've put into these into a nice RAID card that
    >> supports mirroring?
    >>
    >> This simple card would automatically mirror the drives
    >> live (ie. 100% of the time), so that anytime one drive fails,
    >> you can swap directly to the 2nd working backup
    >> immediately w/o any downtime at all.
    >

    > And if the OS should get hosed by some bad software
    > or by user error, the mirror OS gets hosed, too, and both
    > drives are useless. IOW, "mirroring" duplicates good and
    > bad without any time delay to allow you to say "Ooops!"
    > and then to back track.

    If you want that with mirroring, just break the mirror (remove one drive)
    at the time you want the "backup" to be frozen at.

    This will work the same as any other drive cloning method.

    Ghost et al are really just "offline raid 1" or "one-time raid 1 mirrors"

    <disclaimer>
    I myself use ghost 2003 to image backup the system to a bootable DVD -
    I keep the system partition at 4Gb

    --
    Mike
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net> wrote in news:sdzvd.36819$up1.33048
    @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> "David Chien" wrote:
    >>> Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method
    >>> of software duping, why not consider spending the
    >>> money you've put into these into a nice RAID card that
    >>> supports mirroring?
    >>>
    >>> This simple card would automatically mirror the drives
    >>> live (ie. 100% of the time), so that anytime one drive fails,
    >>> you can swap directly to the 2nd working backup
    >>> immediately w/o any downtime at all.
    >>

    >> And if the OS should get hosed by some bad software
    >> or by user error, the mirror OS gets hosed, too, and both
    >> drives are useless. IOW, "mirroring" duplicates good and
    >> bad without any time delay to allow you to say "Ooops!"
    >> and then to back track.
    >
    > If you want that with mirroring, just break the mirror (remove one
    drive)
    > at the time you want the "backup" to be frozen at.
    >
    > This will work the same as any other drive cloning method.
    >
    > Ghost et al are really just "offline raid 1" or "one-time raid 1
    mirrors"

    > <disclaimer>
    > I myself use ghost 2003 to image backup the system to a bootable DVD -
    > I keep the system partition at 4Gb
    >
    > --
    > Mike

    I've thought about RAID, but I see it Tim's way. I clone once every few
    days or once a week, depending on activity. But routinely removing one
    drive then putting it back and duplicating the entire first drive to the
    second then taking it off again, etc. would seem to be more trouble than
    cloning for my purposes. But thanks for the suggestion.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > I've thought about RAID, but I see it Tim's way. I clone once every few
    > days or once a week, depending on activity. But routinely removing one
    > drive then putting it back and duplicating the entire first drive to the
    > second then taking it off again, etc. would seem to be more trouble than
    > cloning for my purposes. But thanks for the suggestion.

    5 1/2" 3.5" HD ejectable drive bays for ~$20 anywhere online!

    You simply have the drive(s) docked into these ejectable bays, so
    anytime you want to on-line a drive, simply insert before startup.
    Then, make the backup, power down, and put the backup drive somewhere
    safe (ie. not in the same office/room/house!).

    You can have the best of both worlds with such an easy setup.

    ---

    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchproducts.asp?dept=pcc1&search=1pc06&child=1sc20-1

    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=168+0537

    ---

    Otherwise, try Acronis Trueimage
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/comparison.html
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "David Chien" wrote:
    >> I've thought about RAID, but I see it Tim's way. I clone once every few
    >> days or once a week, depending on activity. But routinely removing one
    >> drive then putting it back and duplicating the entire first drive to the
    >> second then taking it off again, etc. would seem to be more trouble than
    >> cloning for my purposes. But thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > 5 1/2" 3.5" HD ejectable drive bays for ~$20 anywhere online!
    >
    > You simply have the drive(s) docked into these ejectable bays, so
    > anytime you want to on-line a drive, simply insert before startup.
    > Then, make the backup, power down, and put the backup drive somewhere
    > safe (ie. not in the same office/room/house!).
    >
    > You can have the best of both worlds with such an easy setup.

    I agree. the removable trays/drawers/caddies are the best of
    both worlds. I use the one made by Kingwin that has the fan
    built into the bottom of the tray, and it keeps the HD quite cool.
    Here's a description:
    http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=25&ID=136

    You can find them retailing for a "street" price of around
    $24 with extra trays (each of which contains a fan) for about
    $12 to $14.

    I go even further: I put the fixed internal HDs on switched power.
    That is, the power cable to each HD goes through a DPST toggle
    switch that is mounted on the front of the metal chassis under
    the plastic bezel. With the machine off, I can reach in there with
    a hooked paperclick and throw the toggle switch and thereby
    isolate or connect the HD with the original OS. That way, I can
    start up the clone for the 1st time in isolation from the original
    without having to open up the PC to disconnect the original drive.
    Once that is done, I power down, and throw the toggle switch
    again to re-connect the original HD and either boot up the system
    with both HDs running or remove the clone in its caddy and
    then re-boot. The convenience is pure luxury.

    *TimDaniels*
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in news:9v-dnWm-
    HKiq_iDcRVn-gg@comcast.com:

    > "Odie Ferrous" wrote:
    >> Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning
    >> package I have ever used - basically a couple of clicks,
    >> copies 8GB in about 5 minutes. Swap drives around,
    >> boots straight away.
    >>
    >> I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots
    >> off the competition.
    >

    > At Future Systems Solutions' website
    > http://www.fssdev.com/
    >
    > Review in PCWorld (June 3, 2004):
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I finally got around to buying Casper XP. After weeks of torture with the
    "support" folks for Symantec's Ghost 2005, I'm shocked that Casper is so
    tight and works so well, the first time, with no rigamarole. And in the
    background while you continue working too! Somehow just getting my money
    back from Symantec doesn't seem fair enough.

    Regards to all,
    JP
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Just used XXCOPY v.2858 tonight to disk to disk copy and it worked
    wonderfully. Saved me the 50 bucks from going out and buying a newer
    version of ghost. Should check it out if you haven't
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I was having the exact same: Error E7C3000F when attempting a backup of my
    c:\ partition. I DO NOT have any bad sectors on the drive. I removed
    Ghost 9.0 completely, did a full install and update to .NET Framework V1.1
    and then a full re-install of Ghost. It's been working perfectly ever
    since so it seems that having the .NET Framework installed FIRST and then
    installing Ghost 9.0 is all important.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    JP, I am having the same type of issue with Ghost 9 from System Works
    Premier 2005. I also have SP2 applied to XP home. My exact error was
    "...did not complete successfully Error E7C3000F: Device\\.\ PQV2i
    snapshot () Cannot read 4,096 Sectors starting at LBA 6281,856 Error
    00000057: The Parameter is incorrect (0xE7C3000F)" This error followed
    an attempt to image drives C, D, E to a Maxtor One Touch 120 hard drive
    with verification turned off.

    Before that attempt I received this error constantly "Error EA39070A
    Internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or unsupported
    (0xEA39070A)" with verification enabled.

    I hope someone finds a solution. I bought the Norton Sys Works Prem 05
    just to get Ghost 9. At a hefty price of about $90. I hope others
    will post their displeasure with Norton for having no solution.

Storage