Ghost 9.0's Copy Drive, Cloning & SP2

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
Share
December 12, 2004 7:35:41 AM

I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything else.
(This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of this
on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down, switching
the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I would test
DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 12, 2004 7:35:42 AM

JP wrote:

> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
> clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
> drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
> adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
> where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything
> else.
> (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
> which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
> installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
> Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of
> this
> on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
> solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
> Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
> little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
> looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
> it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
> Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
> program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
> need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down,
> switching the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
> into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do
> when I would test
> DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you just mirror the drives?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"JP" wrote:
> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do
> is simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that
> in the event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable
> from C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a
> hard drive that would be identical to where I last backed up
> by making the clone and without doing anything else.
> (This is a cable-select configuration.)

It doesn't matter if it's Cable Select or explicitly jumpered.
If the Master disappears, the Slave will be next in line in
the boot sequence automatically. Or you can set the boot
sequence manually to put the Slave at the head of the
boot sequence. In short, Master/Slave does not matter
for booting.

> I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility called
> DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
> Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0.
> Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with
> SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known
> issue with no solution (but no word of this on their Web site).
> [...........]
> I'm looking for a program that will do what PowerQuest's
> DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
> immediately test the results by powering down, switching
> the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
> into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used
> to do when I would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this
> program to be known to work with SP2.

You may need Microsoft's .NET Framework re-installed. I use
PowerQuest's Drive Copy 7.1, the precursor to Ghost 9.0, and
it works fine with WinXP SP2. BTW, if you put the power cable
for disk 1 on a DPST toggle switch, you won't have to disconnect
its cables to switch to disk 2. If you toggle it OFF (while it's
powered DOWN!), it won't be visible upon startup. But don't let
disk 2's WinXP clone see it again until the clone has been booted
up for the 1st time in isolation, or the clone will forever depend on
the continued presence of the original in order to function. (This
latter fact was contributed by a poster here named Rod Speed.)

*TimDaniels*
Related resources
December 12, 2004 3:00:11 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> JP wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
>> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
>> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
>> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
>> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
>> and without doing anything else.
>> (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's
>> DirveImage which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very
>> well, but when I installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer
>> worked. So I bought Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes
>> Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed
>> with SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
>> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known issue
>> with no solution (but no word of this
>> on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
>> solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even
>> used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these
>> boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard
>> drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks
>> there correctly state that it's not made for this and it doesn't
>> quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does not
>> have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do what
>> PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
>> immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
>> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
>> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
>> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
>> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Why don't you just mirror the drives?

Thanks, John, for your reply. But how do I mirror the drives?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 12, 2004 3:00:12 PM

JP wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
>> JP wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
>>> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
>>> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
>>> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
>>> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
>>> and without doing anything else.
>>> (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's
>>> DirveImage which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very
>>> well, but when I installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer
>>> worked. So I bought Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes
>>> Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed
>>> with SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
>>> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known issue
>>> with no solution (but no word of this
>>> on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
>>> solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even
>>> used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these
>>> boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard
>>> drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks
>>> there correctly state that it's not made for this and it doesn't
>>> quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does not
>>> have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do what
>>> PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
>>> immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
>>> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
>>> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
>>> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
>>> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Why don't you just mirror the drives?
>>

> Thanks, John, for your reply. But how do I mirror the drives?

If you are running Linux or any server version of Windows the capability is
native in the operating system. If not then you need a disk controller
that supports that. Many motherboards come with the capability built in.
If yours doesn't then take a look at the Promise, Highpoint, 3Ware, LSI
Logic, and Tekram sites for a wide range of solutions.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
December 12, 2004 3:31:41 PM

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in

> "JP" wrote:
>> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do
>> is simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that
>> in the event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable
>> from C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a
>> hard drive that would be identical to where I last backed up
>> by making the clone and without doing anything else.
>> (This is a cable-select configuration.)
>

> It doesn't matter if it's Cable Select or explicitly jumpered.
> If the Master disappears, the Slave will be next in line in
> the boot sequence automatically. Or you can set the boot
> sequence manually to put the Slave at the head of the
> boot sequence. In short, Master/Slave does not matter
> for booting.
>

>> I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility called
>> DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
>> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
>> Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0.
>> Ghost's Copy Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with
>> SP2, yielding error message E7C3000F among other problems.
>> Symantec's technical support acknowledged that it is a known
>> issue with no solution (but no word of this on their Web site).
>> [...........]
>> I'm looking for a program that will do what PowerQuest's
>> DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able to
>> immediately test the results by powering down, switching
>> the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
>> into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used
>> to do when I would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this
>> program to be known to work with SP2.
>

> You may need Microsoft's .NET Framework re-installed. I use
> PowerQuest's Drive Copy 7.1, the precursor to Ghost 9.0, and
> it works fine with WinXP SP2. BTW, if you put the power cable
> for disk 1 on a DPST toggle switch, you won't have to disconnect
> its cables to switch to disk 2. If you toggle it OFF (while it's
> powered DOWN!), it won't be visible upon startup. But don't let
> disk 2's WinXP clone see it again until the clone has been booted
> up for the 1st time in isolation, or the clone will forever depend
on
> the continued presence of the original in order to function.
(This
> latter fact was contributed by a poster here named Rod Speed.)
>
> *TimDaniels*

Tim:
I didn't know that about the boot sequence. Thanks. I'll keep all that
in mind if I'm ever able to once again clone my C: drive to D: like I
used to do. Also it's very interesting that you are using PQ's
DriveCopy 7.1 with SP2. I was using DriveImage (which includes
DriveCopy) 2002. I don't know if that's earlier or later than your
version 7.1 as I can find no other version number. If you or someone
else knows, please let me know. Also, how would you reinstall (only?)
..NET Framework? Anyway, it is encouraging that you are using PQ's
DriveCopy. I am going to try again to get it to work for me. Thanks
again.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 12, 2004 3:31:42 PM

"JP" wrote:
> [......] it's very interesting that you are using PQ's
> DriveCopy 7.1 with SP2. I was using DriveImage
> (which includes DriveCopy) 2002. I don't know if
> that's earlier or later than your version 7.1 as I can
> find no other version number. If you or someone
> else knows, please let me know.

Drive Image 7.0 was the last version issued on CD
by PowerQuest (that I know of). Versions 7.1 and
7.2 (possibly called "7.01" and "7.02" were
downloadable fixes to bugs in 7.0 . The included
copy of Drive Image 2002 worked only miserably
for me as it wouldn't do DMA and it took more
than an hour to copy 20GB. When I finally figured
out what .NET Framework was and how to get it,
its installation solved the version 7.0 problem.

> Also, how would you reinstall (only?) .NET Framework?

Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/
Microsoft .NET Framework/Remove

Then download another copy from Microsoft and
install it again. For version 1.1 of the .NET Framework
Redistributable Package, go to:

If that doesn't work, try re-installing Ghost 9.0, as it's
possible that it might need Framework to already
be there when it's installed. (In fact, the PowerQuest
User's Guide said that explicitly.)

*TimDaniels*
December 12, 2004 8:34:32 PM

> JP wrote:
>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

>>> Why don't you just mirror the drives?
>>>

>> Thanks, John, for your reply. But how do I mirror the drives?
>
> If you are running Linux or any server version of Windows the
> capability is native in the operating system. If not then you need a
> disk controller that supports that. Many motherboards come with the
> capability built in. If yours doesn't then take a look at the Promise,
> Highpoint, 3Ware, LSI Logic, and Tekram sites for a wide range of
> solutions.

Thanks again John, I'll look into that.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 12, 2004 9:12:02 PM

JP wrote:
> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
> and without doing anything else. (This is a cable-select
> configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility
> called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought Norton
> SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word
> of this on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming
> possible solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail.
> I even used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on
> these boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal
> hard drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the
> folks there correctly state that it's not made for this and it
> doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does
> not have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do
> what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able
> to immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are "error message E7C3000F among other problems"...? The SnapShot
technology is, in your case, apparently not able to take a snapshot of those
sectors that show problems...
So what "time-consuming possible solutions which costed you hours of testing
...." have you tried...?

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
December 12, 2004 9:12:03 PM

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in

> JP wrote:
>> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
>> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
>> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
>> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
>> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
>> and without doing anything else. (This is a cable-select
>> configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility
>> called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
>> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought Norton
>> SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
>> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
>> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
>> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word
>> of this on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming
>> possible solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail.
>> I even used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on
>> these boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal
>> hard drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the
>> folks there correctly state that it's not made for this and it
>> doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does
>> not have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do
>> what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able
>> to immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
>> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
>> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
>> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
>> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> What are "error message E7C3000F among other problems"...? The
> SnapShot technology is, in your case, apparently not able to take a
> snapshot of those
> sectors that show problems...
> So what "time-consuming possible solutions which costed you hours of
> testing ..." have you tried...?

Michael, thank you for your reply.
About five minutes into the copy routine everything stopped and I
received Error E7C3000F. At the beginning of the reboot I got a blue
screen stating, in part:
Deleting orphan file record segment xxxx....
(This scrolled by counting about 200,000 files.)
Then it stated:
Correcting orphan file record segment xxx....
(Another scroll with many files.)
Deleting index entry xxxx (many files)
Recovering orphaned file xxxx...(many files)
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file
xxxxx.....(many files)
Chkdsk....

Along with the previously mentioned efforts, Symantec sent the
following, which I thoroughly followed even though they began by stating
that "there is no current solution."
---
Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support

I apologize for the inconveniences you are currently facing.

From your post, I understand that you were previously using Drive Image
2002 to copy your primary hard drive to another hard drive and after
installing Norton Ghost 9.0when you tried to perform the same operation
you are encountering an error message with code E7C3000F. And on reboot
after the failed process you notice that Windows performs as check on
the disk and reported errors on files.

I regret to inform you that this issue is currently under investigation
by Symantec and the cause of this issue is unknown and there is no
current solution at this point of time.

However in order to further troubleshoot this issue and reach at a
solution, please refer to the following workarounds:

1. Run CHKDSK on the source drive:

Please note that this issues can occur if your hard drive surface is
damaged. In order to make sure that your hard disk surface is not
damaged, I suggest that you please run CHKDSK with the appropriate
switches on DOS mode. To do so, please refer to the following document
provided in the link below:

Title: 'How to run Microsoft CHKDSK from the command line'
Document ID: 2004066687571562
> Web URL:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/doc...
62

Note: Please refer to the above document to resolve your issue, please
ignore the products that are supported by the above document.

2. Optimize your system:

This issue can also occur if there is some resource conflicts with other
programs and Symantec programs. In order to eliminate any system
resource conflicts, I suggest that you please optimize your system
resources and check whether the issue gets resolved. To do so, please
refer to the following document provided in the link below:

Title: 'Basic guide to optimizing system resources'
Document ID: 2002061015214139
>Web URL:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/doci...
9

After performing the above steps, please perform the operation of Copy
Drive again and check whether this issue is resolved. And if you wish to
know how to copy a disk to disk using the Copy Drive feature with
appropriate options, please refer to the following document provided in
the link below:

Title: 'How to copy disk-to-disk using Norton Ghost 9.0'
Document ID: 2004111701520562
> Web URL:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/doc...
62

Please let me know if the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

Arun Kumar
Symantec Authorized Technical Support
---
I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with XP
SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal hard
drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this issue
with Ghost.
Thanks
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 12, 2004 11:18:03 PM

"JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with XP
> SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal hard
> drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this issue
> with Ghost.

Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on DriveImage)?
That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a floppy or bootable CD.

I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do imaging as a
form of backup.. I don't restore from images very often.). Our workplace
uses it to clone drives.

I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS) that is
totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
--
Aloke
----

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in
news:D dCdnbK9S_9KDCHcRVn-qg@comcast.com:

> "JP" wrote:
>> [......] it's very interesting that you are using PQ's
>> DriveCopy 7.1 with SP2. I was using DriveImage
>> (which includes DriveCopy) 2002. I don't know if
>> that's earlier or later than your version 7.1 as I can
>> find no other version number. If you or someone
>> else knows, please let me know.
>

> Drive Image 7.0 was the last version issued on CD
> by PowerQuest (that I know of). Versions 7.1 and
> 7.2 (possibly called "7.01" and "7.02" were
> downloadable fixes to bugs in 7.0 . The included
> copy of Drive Image 2002 worked only miserably
> for me as it wouldn't do DMA and it took more
> than an hour to copy 20GB. When I finally figured
> out what .NET Framework was and how to get it,
> its installation solved the version 7.0 problem.
>

>> Also, how would you reinstall (only?) .NET Framework?
>

> Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/
> Microsoft .NET Framework/Remove
>
> Then download another copy from Microsoft and
> install it again. For version 1.1 of the .NET Framework
> Redistributable Package, go to:
f589-
> 4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en
>
> If that doesn't work, try re-installing Ghost 9.0, as it's
> possible that it might need Framework to already
> be there when it's installed. (In fact, the PowerQuest
> User's Guide said that explicitly.)
>
> *TimDaniels*

Well, I had and I removed Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 then reinstalled
from Microsoft's site to no avail. I have the same problem with Ghost
and PowerQuest's DriveCopy still doesn't work but it now has a different
problem. It displays

"Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive 1, but disk manager
is not running. If you are booting from a floppy, remove the floppy
disk and reboot. Press and hold the <Space Bar> key as your computer
restarts. When prompted insert your boot floppy and continue booting."

[I was not booting from a floppy.]
The only thing I haven't tried is the suggestion to uninstall/reinstall
Ghost after the reinstall of .NET Framework 1.1. I hesitate to do this
as this Ghost is intertwined with Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which
includes AnitVirus (the only program Symantec has that I've tried and
works correctly almost all of the time). I would have to uninstall the
entire package and reinstall, gambling that it would all go smoothly
including reinstatement of my subscription. A tall order given
Symantec's track record. In taking that risk I would be betting that
this is the trick that works while all others failed. I would do it if
someone had this specific issue that was solved by this method, but as
far as I can tell, that's not the case. Interestingly, a Google search
of

E7C3000F Ghost

doesn't produce much. I'm about ready to give up and hope that with
time Symantec identifies and/or fixes this issue.

Thank you all.
December 13, 2004 1:14:32 AM

"Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in

> "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>> I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with
>> XP SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal
>> hard drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this
>> issue with Ghost.
>
> Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on
> DriveImage)? That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a
> floppy or bootable CD.
>
> I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do imaging
> as a form of backup.. I don't restore from images very often.). Our
> workplace uses it to clone drives.
>
> I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
> that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..

Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no CURRENT
program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 1:14:33 AM

"JP" <news.8.jpatsg@xoxy.net> wrote in message

> > I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
> > that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
>
> Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no CURRENT
> program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?

www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.
www.diydatarecovery.nl: DiskPatch
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 2:25:11 AM

JP wrote:
> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in
>

>> "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm still looking for a program other than Ghost that will work with
>>> XP SP2 and be capable of copying (cloning, not imaging) one internal
>>> hard drive to another, as I am not confident that I can resolve this
>>> issue with Ghost.
>>
>> Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on
>> DriveImage)? That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a
>> floppy or bootable CD.
>>
>> I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do
>> imaging as a form of backup.. I don't restore from images very
>> often.). Our workplace uses it to clone drives.
>>
>> I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
>> that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
>
> Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
> CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?

Ghost 2003's (included in the boxed version of Ghost 9 or present in the
Ghost folder on the NSW 2005 Premier CD) forensic copy using the -ia (and in
conjunction with the -ib) switch. It performs a sector based copy (clone) in
the DOS environment...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
December 13, 2004 3:40:33 AM

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "JP" <news.8.jpatsg@xoxy.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot
>> > (DOS) that is totally independent of the drives being
>> > cloned/imaged..
>>
>> Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
>> CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
>
> www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.
> www.diydatarecovery.nl: DiskPatch

Thank you for those suggestions Eric, I'll take a look.
December 13, 2004 3:45:40 AM

> JP wrote:
>> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in
>>

>>> "JP" <news.20.jpatsg@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Did you try the earlier version of Ghost (the one not based on
>>> DriveImage)? That is Ghost 2003, and runs from a DOS boot off of a
>>> floppy or bootable CD.
>>>
>>> I use it with XPPro SP2 (although I have to admit, I mostly do
>>> imaging as a form of backup.. I don't restore from images very
>>> often.). Our workplace uses it to clone drives.
>>>
>>> I always feel more confident about cloning/imaging from a boot (DOS)
>>> that is totally independent of the drives being cloned/imaged..
>>
>> Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
>> CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
>
> Ghost 2003's (included in the boxed version of Ghost 9 or present in
> the Ghost folder on the NSW 2005 Premier CD) forensic copy using the
> -ia (and in conjunction with the -ib) switch. It performs a sector
> based copy (clone) in the DOS environment...

Now THAT looks like it might be just what I need. I have a difficult week
of work ahead of me, but I WILL be trying it this weekend.

Thank you so much Michael and best regards.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 9:11:36 AM

JP wrote:

> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
> clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
> drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
> adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
> where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything else.
> (This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
> which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
> installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
> Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of this
> on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
> solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
> Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
> little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
> looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
> it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
> Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
> program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
> need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down, switching
> the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I would test
> DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning package I have ever
used - basically a couple of clicks, copies 8GB in about 5 minutes.
Swap drives around, boots straight away.

I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots off the
competition.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

"Odie Ferrous" wrote:
> Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning
> package I have ever used - basically a couple of clicks,
> copies 8GB in about 5 minutes. Swap drives around,
> boots straight away.
>
> I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots
> off the competition.

At Future Systems Solutions' website
http://www.fssdev.com/

Review in PCWorld (June 3, 2004):

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 1:42:50 PM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:23:13 UTC, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no CURRENT
> > program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
>
> www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.

Plus Linux and OS2 versions in the same package :-)

Downloadable version is FULL function, no crippleware.
Regsitration required for non-evaluation use only.

Regards, JvW

--
Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com
December 13, 2004 1:54:29 PM

"Jan van Wijk" <jvw.no.spam@dfsee.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:23:13 UTC, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > Thanks for that advice. I'll try to find a copy. But is there no
>> > CURRENT program that will copy (clone, not image) from DOS?
>>
>> www.dfsee.com: DOS and Win2K+.
>
> Plus Linux and OS2 versions in the same package :-)
>
> Downloadable version is FULL function, no crippleware.
> Regsitration required for non-evaluation use only.
>
> Regards, JvW

Thanks Jan
December 13, 2004 2:32:48 PM

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in

> JP wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is
>> simply clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the
>> event of a C: drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from
>> C:, plug it into D:, adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive
>> that would be identical to where I last backed up by making the clone
>> and without doing anything else. (This is a cable-select
>> configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage which had a utility
>> called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I installed
>> Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought Norton
>> SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
>> Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
>> message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
>> acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word
>> of this on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming
>> possible solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail.
>> I even used Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on
>> these boards but very little on simply copying (cloning) one internal
>> hard drive to another. I looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the
>> folks there correctly state that it's not made for this and it
>> doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive Snapshot apparently does
>> not have this capability. I'm looking for a program that will do
>> what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I need to be able
>> to immediately test the results by powering down, switching the data
>> cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly into XP with
>> exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do when I
>> would test DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to
>> work with SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning package I have ever
> used - basically a couple of clicks, copies 8GB in about 5 minutes.
> Swap drives around, boots straight away.
>
> I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots off the
> competition.
>

> Odie

I found Casper XP. If this lives up to its claims, it would be the best
cloning program yet and exactly what I need. Also, in the PC Magazine
review of this (a link to it is on the Casper site) it states: "The
Create Drive wizard is the equivalent of using Windows' built-in drive-
management console." Is this referring to Control Panel, Administrative
Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management or something else? Anyway,
I'm going to look into this. Thanks Odie.
December 13, 2004 2:35:37 PM

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in news:9v-dnWm-
HKiq_iDcRVn-gg@comcast.com:

> "Odie Ferrous" wrote:
>> Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning
>> package I have ever used - basically a couple of clicks,
>> copies 8GB in about 5 minutes. Swap drives around,
>> boots straight away.
>>
>> I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots
>> off the competition.
>

> At Future Systems Solutions' website
> http://www.fssdev.com/
>
> Review in PCWorld (June 3, 2004):
>
> *TimDaniels*

Perfect (I hope). Thanks again Tim.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 7:24:28 PM

Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method of software
duping, why not consider spending the money you've put into these into a
nice RAID card that supports mirroring?

This simple card would automatically mirror the drives live (ie. 100% of
the time), so that anytime one drive fails, you can swap directly to the
2nd working backup immediately w/o any downtime at all.

These cards sell for <$40 everywhere from companies like Adaptec, etc.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 7:53:51 PM

"David Chien" wrote:
> Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method
> of software duping, why not consider spending the
> money you've put into these into a nice RAID card that
> supports mirroring?
>
> This simple card would automatically mirror the drives
> live (ie. 100% of the time), so that anytime one drive fails,
> you can swap directly to the 2nd working backup
> immediately w/o any downtime at all.

And if the OS should get hosed by some bad software
or by user error, the mirror OS gets hosed, too, and both
drives are useless. IOW, "mirroring" duplicates good and
bad without any time delay to allow you to say "Ooops!"
and then to back track.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 7:56:52 PM

JP wrote:

> I found Casper XP. If this lives up to its claims, it would be the best
> cloning program yet and exactly what I need. Also, in the PC Magazine
> review of this (a link to it is on the Casper site) it states: "The
> Create Drive wizard is the equivalent of using Windows' built-in drive-
> management console." Is this referring to Control Panel, Administrative
> Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management or something else? Anyway,
> I'm going to look into this. Thanks Odie.

I do know they are still looking for beta testers.

Do a google groups search for CasperXP (or "casper XP") for details.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in news:41BDC9D4.8E9DC0C9
@hotmail.com:

> JP wrote:
>>

>> I found Casper XP. If this lives up to its claims, it would be the best
>> cloning program yet and exactly what I need. Also, in the PC Magazine
>> review of this (a link to it is on the Casper site) it states: "The
>> Create Drive wizard is the equivalent of using Windows' built-in drive-
>> management console." Is this referring to Control Panel, Administrative
>> Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management or something else? Anyway,
>> I'm going to look into this. Thanks Odie.
>
> I do know they are still looking for beta testers.
>
> Do a google groups search for CasperXP (or "casper XP") for details.
>

> Odie

Thanks again, Odie
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 14, 2004 1:26:32 PM

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "David Chien" wrote:
>> Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method
>> of software duping, why not consider spending the
>> money you've put into these into a nice RAID card that
>> supports mirroring?
>>
>> This simple card would automatically mirror the drives
>> live (ie. 100% of the time), so that anytime one drive fails,
>> you can swap directly to the 2nd working backup
>> immediately w/o any downtime at all.
>

> And if the OS should get hosed by some bad software
> or by user error, the mirror OS gets hosed, too, and both
> drives are useless. IOW, "mirroring" duplicates good and
> bad without any time delay to allow you to say "Ooops!"
> and then to back track.

If you want that with mirroring, just break the mirror (remove one drive)
at the time you want the "backup" to be frozen at.

This will work the same as any other drive cloning method.

Ghost et al are really just "offline raid 1" or "one-time raid 1 mirrors"

<disclaimer>
I myself use ghost 2003 to image backup the system to a bootable DVD -
I keep the system partition at 4Gb

--
Mike
December 14, 2004 2:01:41 PM

"Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net> wrote in news:sdzvd.36819$up1.33048
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Timothy Daniels wrote:
>> "David Chien" wrote:
>>> Rather than the silly and sometimes unreliable method
>>> of software duping, why not consider spending the
>>> money you've put into these into a nice RAID card that
>>> supports mirroring?
>>>
>>> This simple card would automatically mirror the drives
>>> live (ie. 100% of the time), so that anytime one drive fails,
>>> you can swap directly to the 2nd working backup
>>> immediately w/o any downtime at all.
>>

>> And if the OS should get hosed by some bad software
>> or by user error, the mirror OS gets hosed, too, and both
>> drives are useless. IOW, "mirroring" duplicates good and
>> bad without any time delay to allow you to say "Ooops!"
>> and then to back track.
>
> If you want that with mirroring, just break the mirror (remove one
drive)
> at the time you want the "backup" to be frozen at.
>
> This will work the same as any other drive cloning method.
>
> Ghost et al are really just "offline raid 1" or "one-time raid 1
mirrors"

> <disclaimer>
> I myself use ghost 2003 to image backup the system to a bootable DVD -
> I keep the system partition at 4Gb
>
> --
> Mike

I've thought about RAID, but I see it Tim's way. I clone once every few
days or once a week, depending on activity. But routinely removing one
drive then putting it back and duplicating the entire first drive to the
second then taking it off again, etc. would seem to be more trouble than
cloning for my purposes. But thanks for the suggestion.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 14, 2004 3:51:40 PM

> I've thought about RAID, but I see it Tim's way. I clone once every few
> days or once a week, depending on activity. But routinely removing one
> drive then putting it back and duplicating the entire first drive to the
> second then taking it off again, etc. would seem to be more trouble than
> cloning for my purposes. But thanks for the suggestion.

5 1/2" 3.5" HD ejectable drive bays for ~$20 anywhere online!

You simply have the drive(s) docked into these ejectable bays, so
anytime you want to on-line a drive, simply insert before startup.
Then, make the backup, power down, and put the backup drive somewhere
safe (ie. not in the same office/room/house!).

You can have the best of both worlds with such an easy setup.

---

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchproducts.asp?d...

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...

---

Otherwise, try Acronis Trueimage
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 14, 2004 4:41:51 PM

"David Chien" wrote:
>> I've thought about RAID, but I see it Tim's way. I clone once every few
>> days or once a week, depending on activity. But routinely removing one
>> drive then putting it back and duplicating the entire first drive to the
>> second then taking it off again, etc. would seem to be more trouble than
>> cloning for my purposes. But thanks for the suggestion.
>
> 5 1/2" 3.5" HD ejectable drive bays for ~$20 anywhere online!
>
> You simply have the drive(s) docked into these ejectable bays, so
> anytime you want to on-line a drive, simply insert before startup.
> Then, make the backup, power down, and put the backup drive somewhere
> safe (ie. not in the same office/room/house!).
>
> You can have the best of both worlds with such an easy setup.

I agree. the removable trays/drawers/caddies are the best of
both worlds. I use the one made by Kingwin that has the fan
built into the bottom of the tray, and it keeps the HD quite cool.
Here's a description:
http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=25&ID...

You can find them retailing for a "street" price of around
$24 with extra trays (each of which contains a fan) for about
$12 to $14.

I go even further: I put the fixed internal HDs on switched power.
That is, the power cable to each HD goes through a DPST toggle
switch that is mounted on the front of the metal chassis under
the plastic bezel. With the machine off, I can reach in there with
a hooked paperclick and throw the toggle switch and thereby
isolate or connect the HD with the original OS. That way, I can
start up the clone for the 1st time in isolation from the original
without having to open up the PC to disconnect the original drive.
Once that is done, I power down, and throw the toggle switch
again to re-connect the original HD and either boot up the system
with both HDs running or remove the clone in its caddy and
then re-boot. The convenience is pure luxury.

*TimDaniels*
December 25, 2004 9:53:08 PM

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in news:9v-dnWm-
HKiq_iDcRVn-gg@comcast.com:

> "Odie Ferrous" wrote:
>> Have a look at Casper XP. By far the best cloning
>> package I have ever used - basically a couple of clicks,
>> copies 8GB in about 5 minutes. Swap drives around,
>> boots straight away.
>>
>> I've just finished BETA testing this - it knocks the spots
>> off the competition.
>

> At Future Systems Solutions' website
> http://www.fssdev.com/
>
> Review in PCWorld (June 3, 2004):
>
> *TimDaniels*

I finally got around to buying Casper XP. After weeks of torture with the
"support" folks for Symantec's Ghost 2005, I'm shocked that Casper is so
tight and works so well, the first time, with no rigamarole. And in the
background while you continue working too! Somehow just getting my money
back from Symantec doesn't seem fair enough.

Regards to all,
JP
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 9:56:40 PM

Just used XXCOPY v.2858 tonight to disk to disk copy and it worked
wonderfully. Saved me the 50 bucks from going out and buying a newer
version of ghost. Should check it out if you haven't
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 4:43:20 PM

I was having the exact same: Error E7C3000F when attempting a backup of my
c:\ partition. I DO NOT have any bad sectors on the drive. I removed
Ghost 9.0 completely, did a full install and update to .NET Framework V1.1
and then a full re-install of Ghost. It's been working perfectly ever
since so it seems that having the .NET Framework installed FIRST and then
installing Ghost 9.0 is all important.
March 19, 2005 8:04:21 PM

JP, I am having the same type of issue with Ghost 9 from System Works
Premier 2005. I also have SP2 applied to XP home. My exact error was
"...did not complete successfully Error E7C3000F: Device\\.\ PQV2i
snapshot () Cannot read 4,096 Sectors starting at LBA 6281,856 Error
00000057: The Parameter is incorrect (0xE7C3000F)" This error followed
an attempt to image drives C, D, E to a Maxtor One Touch 120 hard drive
with verification turned off.

Before that attempt I received this error constantly "Error EA39070A
Internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or unsupported
(0xEA39070A)" with verification enabled.

I hope someone finds a solution. I bought the Norton Sys Works Prem 05
just to get Ghost 9. At a hefty price of about $90. I hope others
will post their displeasure with Norton for having no solution.