So, who has gotten a 191T to work in DVI...

under XP?

What video card did you use?
ATI 9600 SE currently in use here.

I can't for the life of me get this to work,
it's one of the most hair-pulling hardware issues
I've ever run across.

POST and startup screens on DVI OK, goes blank
and 191 into power save at logon screen.

If I uninstall the ATI driver, and just use the
castrated "VGA Compatible", I can get 1024x768
on DVI but no higher. Using ATI drivers, only 640x480x16
in "Enable VGA mode" only.

I'm aware of the 191T having bogus EDID and ID'ing
itself as a 531T on the DVI connector. Surely there
must be a way around this issue.

Analog VGA OK at all resolutions.
6 answers Last reply
More about 191t work

    I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at least a
    year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers,
    version 4.7

    I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a Radeon
    9000 in it and that's been ok too.

    > I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at least
    > year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst
    drivers,
    > version 4.7
    >
    > I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a Radeon
    > 9000 in it and that's been ok too.

    Thanks for responding Jerry.

    Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
    just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?

    Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...

    Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?

    > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > under XP?
    > >
    > > What video card did you use?
    > > ATI 9600 SE currently in use here.
    > >
    > > I can't for the life of me get this to work,
    > > it's one of the most hair-pulling hardware issues
    > > I've ever run across.
    > >
    > > POST and startup screens on DVI OK, goes blank
    > > and 191 into power save at logon screen.
    > >
    > > If I uninstall the ATI driver, and just use the
    > > castrated "VGA Compatible", I can get 1024x768
    > > on DVI but no higher. Using ATI drivers, only 640x480x16
    > > in "Enable VGA mode" only.
    > >
    > > I'm aware of the 191T having bogus EDID and ID'ing
    > > itself as a 531T on the DVI connector. Surely there
    > > must be a way around this issue.
    > >
    > > Analog VGA OK at all resolutions.

    I used the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it's running at 1280 x
    1024.

    I downloaded the Samsung drivers and used them after XP was installed
    successfully. Device Manger/Monitor lists the driver as a Samsung version
    1.0

    Tonight I swapped out the Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb of
    RAM and XP started just fine but with generic VGA drivers. Did a driver
    update from Device Manager and everything is as it should be.

    > I used the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it's running at 1280 x
    > 1024.
    >
    > I downloaded the Samsung drivers and used them after XP was installed
    > successfully. Device Manger/Monitor lists the driver as a Samsung version
    > 1.0
    >
    > Tonight I swapped out the Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb of
    > RAM and XP started just fine but with generic VGA drivers. Did a driver
    > update from Device Manager and everything is as it should be.

    I have a 9600 SE. Mayber it's too castrated to do DVI properly...
    9800 is a little outta my price range, but if it's the only way to get
    this to work....

    > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at
    > least
    > > > year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst
    > > drivers,
    > > > version 4.7
    > > >
    > > > I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a
    > Radeon
    > > > 9000 in it and that's been ok too.
    > >
    > > Thanks for responding Jerry.
    > >
    > > Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
    > > just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?
    > >
    > > Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...
    > >
    > > Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?
    > >

    > > > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    Before the 9800 Pro I was using a 9600 Pro w/128Mb of memory just fine.

    ATI is selling the 9800Pro w/256Mb of memory on their web site for $299 with
    free shipping.

    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > > I used the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it's running at 1280
    > > 1024.
    > >
    > > I downloaded the Samsung drivers and used them after XP was installed
    > > successfully. Device Manger/Monitor lists the driver as a Samsung
    version
    > > 1.0
    > >
    > > Tonight I swapped out the Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb
    of
    > > RAM and XP started just fine but with generic VGA drivers. Did a driver
    > > update from Device Manager and everything is as it should be.
    >
    > I have a 9600 SE. Mayber it's too castrated to do DVI properly...
    > 9800 is a little outta my price range, but if it's the only way to get
    > this to work....
    >

    > > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > > least
    > > > drivers,

    > > Radeon
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for responding Jerry.
    > > >
    > > > Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
    > > > just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?
    > > >
    > > > Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...
    > > >
    > > > Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?

    Jerry, if you're still following this-

    I bought a 9800 Pro /128 to try-it acts exactly the same,
    so it's likely NOT the video card. I also don't think
    it's the monitor per se, as I can get it up to 1024x768
    with the built-in VGA driver in XP.

    This leaves a couple of things-some versions of the 191T
    (like mine) misidentify themselves as a Samsung 530TFT
    due to a EDID bug. I suspect the Cat drivers are reading
    this info (1024x768) and overriding everything I'm trying to do to get
    the DVI port up to 1280 x 1024.

    Or, for some reason, I have a bad DVI cable, but I find
    this to be unlikely, as it works up to 1024x768@60. Only thing I
    can think of here is that the Samsung supplied cable is single-link,
    and that a dual-link cable, although theoretically NOT necessary
    (191T bandwidth 135 Mhz per spec sheet), it may make a
    difference.

    If you don't mind, I have a few registry entries I'd like to compare
    with you. If interested, we can take this off the NG - email me
    at

    vancegrn@no_spam.covad.net

    (remove the obvious)

    or, if you think others may benefit, we can leave it here.

    Thanks.

Video DVI ATI Windows XP Product