So, who has gotten a 191T to work in DVI...

July 15, 2004 12:22:14 AM

under XP?

What video card did you use?
ATI 9600 SE currently in use here.

I can't for the life of me get this to work,
it's one of the most hair-pulling hardware issues
I've ever run across.

POST and startup screens on DVI OK, goes blank
and 191 into power save at logon screen.

If I uninstall the ATI driver, and just use the
castrated "VGA Compatible", I can get 1024x768
on DVI but no higher. Using ATI drivers, only 640x480x16
in "Enable VGA mode" only.

I'm aware of the 191T having bogus EDID and ID'ing
itself as a 531T on the DVI connector. Surely there
must be a way around this issue.

Analog VGA OK at all resolutions.

More about : 191t work dvi

July 15, 2004 2:52:42 AM

I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at least a
year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers,
version 4.7

I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a Radeon
9000 in it and that's been ok too.

"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> under XP?
>
> What video card did you use?
> ATI 9600 SE currently in use here.
>
> I can't for the life of me get this to work,
> it's one of the most hair-pulling hardware issues
> I've ever run across.
>
> POST and startup screens on DVI OK, goes blank
> and 191 into power save at logon screen.
>
> If I uninstall the ATI driver, and just use the
> castrated "VGA Compatible", I can get 1024x768
> on DVI but no higher. Using ATI drivers, only 640x480x16
> in "Enable VGA mode" only.
>
> I'm aware of the 191T having bogus EDID and ID'ing
> itself as a 531T on the DVI connector. Surely there
> must be a way around this issue.
>
> Analog VGA OK at all resolutions.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 9:05:43 PM

news:o HDVr$iaEHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at least
> year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst
drivers,
> version 4.7
>
> I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a Radeon
> 9000 in it and that's been ok too.

Thanks for responding Jerry.

Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?

Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...

Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?

> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > under XP?
> >
> > What video card did you use?
> > ATI 9600 SE currently in use here.
> >
> > I can't for the life of me get this to work,
> > it's one of the most hair-pulling hardware issues
> > I've ever run across.
> >
> > POST and startup screens on DVI OK, goes blank
> > and 191 into power save at logon screen.
> >
> > If I uninstall the ATI driver, and just use the
> > castrated "VGA Compatible", I can get 1024x768
> > on DVI but no higher. Using ATI drivers, only 640x480x16
> > in "Enable VGA mode" only.
> >
> > I'm aware of the 191T having bogus EDID and ID'ing
> > itself as a 531T on the DVI connector. Surely there
> > must be a way around this issue.
> >
> > Analog VGA OK at all resolutions.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 16, 2004 1:46:57 AM

I used the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it's running at 1280 x
1024.

I downloaded the Samsung drivers and used them after XP was installed
successfully. Device Manger/Monitor lists the driver as a Samsung version
1.0

Tonight I swapped out the Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb of
RAM and XP started just fine but with generic VGA drivers. Did a driver
update from Device Manager and everything is as it should be.

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> news:o HDVr$iaEHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at
least
> > year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst
> drivers,
> > version 4.7
> >
> > I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a
Radeon
> > 9000 in it and that's been ok too.
>
> Thanks for responding Jerry.
>
> Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
> just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?
>
> Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...
>
> Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?
>

> > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > > under XP?
> > >
> > > What video card did you use?
> > > ATI 9600 SE currently in use here.
> > >
> > > I can't for the life of me get this to work,
> > > it's one of the most hair-pulling hardware issues
> > > I've ever run across.
> > >
> > > POST and startup screens on DVI OK, goes blank
> > > and 191 into power save at logon screen.
> > >
> > > If I uninstall the ATI driver, and just use the
> > > castrated "VGA Compatible", I can get 1024x768
> > > on DVI but no higher. Using ATI drivers, only 640x480x16
> > > in "Enable VGA mode" only.
> > >
> > > I'm aware of the 191T having bogus EDID and ID'ing
> > > itself as a 531T on the DVI connector. Surely there
> > > must be a way around this issue.
> > >
> > > Analog VGA OK at all resolutions.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 11:28:53 PM

> I used the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it's running at 1280 x
> 1024.
>
> I downloaded the Samsung drivers and used them after XP was installed
> successfully. Device Manger/Monitor lists the driver as a Samsung version
> 1.0
>
> Tonight I swapped out the Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb of
> RAM and XP started just fine but with generic VGA drivers. Did a driver
> update from Device Manager and everything is as it should be.

I have a 9600 SE. Mayber it's too castrated to do DVI properly...
9800 is a little outta my price range, but if it's the only way to get
this to work....

> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> > news:o HDVr$iaEHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > I've been using my 191T on a Radeon 9600 Pro's DVI connector for at
> least
> > > year and have not had any problems. I'm running the latest Catalyst
> > drivers,
> > > version 4.7
> > >
> > > I also use it's analog connector to view another system that has a
> Radeon
> > > 9000 in it and that's been ok too.
> >
> > Thanks for responding Jerry.
> >
> > Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
> > just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?
> >
> > Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...
> >
> > Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?
> >

> > > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

July 17, 2004 3:05:18 AM

Before the 9800 Pro I was using a 9600 Pro w/128Mb of memory just fine.

ATI is selling the 9800Pro w/256Mb of memory on their web site for $299 with
free shipping.

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> > I used the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it's running at 1280
> > 1024.
> >
> > I downloaded the Samsung drivers and used them after XP was installed
> > successfully. Device Manger/Monitor lists the driver as a Samsung
version
> > 1.0
> >
> > Tonight I swapped out the Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb
of
> > RAM and XP started just fine but with generic VGA drivers. Did a driver
> > update from Device Manager and everything is as it should be.
>
> I have a 9600 SE. Mayber it's too castrated to do DVI properly...
> 9800 is a little outta my price range, but if it's the only way to get
> this to work....
>

> > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o HDVr$iaEHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > least
> > > drivers,

> > Radeon
> > >
> > > Thanks for responding Jerry.
> > >
> > > Did you install Samsung's monitor "driver" or did you
> > > just let XP call it a "Plug n Play Monitor"?
> > >
> > > Samsung tech support claims that's all I need to do...
> > >
> > > Did you use the DVI cable that came with it or something else?

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 6:55:01 PM

Jerry, if you're still following this-

I bought a 9800 Pro /128 to try-it acts exactly the same,
so it's likely NOT the video card. I also don't think
it's the monitor per se, as I can get it up to 1024x768
with the built-in VGA driver in XP.

This leaves a couple of things-some versions of the 191T
(like mine) misidentify themselves as a Samsung 530TFT
due to a EDID bug. I suspect the Cat drivers are reading
this info (1024x768) and overriding everything I'm trying to do to get
the DVI port up to 1280 x 1024.

Or, for some reason, I have a bad DVI cable, but I find
this to be unlikely, as it works up to 1024x768@60. Only thing I
can think of here is that the Samsung supplied cable is single-link,
and that a dual-link cable, although theoretically NOT necessary
(191T bandwidth 135 Mhz per spec sheet), it may make a
difference.

If you don't mind, I have a few registry entries I'd like to compare
with you. If interested, we can take this off the NG - email me
at

vancegrn@no_spam.covad.net

(remove the obvious)

or, if you think others may benefit, we can leave it here.

Thanks.

!