PartitionMagic and disappearing partition in XP

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 12, 2004 9:11:47 PM

Hi,

Can anyone advise on the following:

System before:
30MB boot partition
10GB NTFS (XP)
10GB FAT32

I wanted to expand the FAT32 drive, and used PartitionMagic 8.0. Before
starting the resize, PM decided there was an error on the partition
(error 2005 - lost cluster) and aborted. The E: drive (corresponding to
the FAT32 partition) promptly disappeared from XP.

The data seems fine (I ran TestDisk and can browse the files), and XP
itself recognises the drive (My Computer->Manage->Disk management shows
the correct partition, but does not allow any operations on it). PM
also recognises the partition, but refuses to do any operation on it
because it has a lost cluster. It says to run scandisk on it first, but
of course scandisk doesn't recognise the partition, so won't scan it!

Any ideas?

Rob.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 2:39:52 AM

Rob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone advise on the following:
>
> System before:
> 30MB boot partition
> 10GB NTFS (XP)
> 10GB FAT32
>
> I wanted to expand the FAT32 drive, and used PartitionMagic 8.0.
> Before starting the resize, PM decided there was an error on the
> partition (error 2005 - lost cluster) and aborted. The E: drive
> (corresponding to the FAT32 partition) promptly disappeared from XP.
>
> The data seems fine (I ran TestDisk and can browse the files), and XP
> itself recognises the drive (My Computer->Manage->Disk management
> shows the correct partition, but does not allow any operations on
> it). PM also recognises the partition, but refuses to do any
> operation on it because it has a lost cluster. It says to run
> scandisk on it first, but of course scandisk doesn't recognise the
> partition, so won't scan it!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Rob.

Tell me how you ran a CHKDSK (so no scandisk(!)) in XP?
If that partition (I assume a logical one) disappears from XP, how does PM
8.0 identify it? As a FAT32 that got rid of a drive letter or as a PqRP?
If it is the first, you may want to reassign it a drive letter and directy
after that run a CHKDSK in a DOS command window:
1. Start
2. Execute
3. cmd [Enter]

chkdsk <drive letter:> /f
exit

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 13, 2004 12:37:25 PM

> Tell me how you ran a CHKDSK (so no scandisk(!)) in XP?
> If that partition (I assume a logical one) disappears from XP, how does PM
> 8.0 identify it? As a FAT32 that got rid of a drive letter or as a PqRP?

Ok - I was being dumb. Turns out PM unattached the drive letter from
the partition without warning and I had to manually reassign E: to it in
the disk management. It appears to be happy now.

Thanks for the help.

Rob.
!