Swaping motherboards, can't load Windows?

Hey all;

I'm trying to swap the motherboard in my system, and it's not behaving.
The old board is an Asus P2B-F, and the new one is a Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X.
What does this have to do with storage? That's what I'm coming to.

When I moved everything across, I let the BIOS autodetect my WD Caviar 40GB
drive. On booting, it got about halfway through the Win2k boot sequence and
then complained about not being able to read the boot device. Back to the
BIOS, and I found the numbers were rather off for the drive. The size was
nearly the same (40020 on the Gigabyte board, 40015 on the Asus) but the
rest of the paramters were very different. When I set them all to be the same
as the Asus board had autodetected, it still didn't work. The only difference
between them at that point was that (a) the size was 40016 on the GB board
and 40015 on the Asus, and (b) the landing zone was way different (and
unsettable) on the GB board.

Any ideas on how I can make this transfer?

Thanks,
Colin
4 answers Last reply
More about swaping motherboards load windows

    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/win2k.htm

    Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    > http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/win2k.htm

    Thanks. Seems that I've screwed myself up even worse now.

    I went through the process of setting the drivers to "std dual-channel PCI
    IDE," and now the system won't boot at all, even on the old motherboard!
    I'm currently getting a "Stop 0x1E" kmode exception error message.

    Booting from the CD, I can't auto-repair the installation. And if I try
    to access the repair console, it reboots. I'm currently installing the OS
    into an alternate directory, in the hopes that I can boot up and get the
    machine working from there. How, I'm not yet sure.

    > "Colin B." <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey all;
    >>
    >> I'm trying to swap the motherboard in my system, and it's not behaving.
    >> The old board is an Asus P2B-F, and the new one is a Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X.
    >> What does this have to do with storage? That's what I'm coming to.
    >>
    >> When I moved everything across, I let the BIOS autodetect my WD Caviar
    > 40GB
    >> drive. On booting, it got about halfway through the Win2k boot sequence
    > and
    >> then complained about not being able to read the boot device. Back to the
    >> BIOS, and I found the numbers were rather off for the drive. The size was
    >> nearly the same (40020 on the Gigabyte board, 40015 on the Asus) but the
    >> rest of the paramters were very different. When I set them all to be the
    > same
    >> as the Asus board had autodetected, it still didn't work. The only
    > difference
    >> between them at that point was that (a) the size was 40016 on the GB board
    >> and 40015 on the Asus, and (b) the landing zone was way different (and
    >> unsettable) on the GB board.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how I can make this transfer?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Colin

    Colin B. <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:

    Just to update my own post here.

    I have a parallel installation of Win2k, and I can now get into the
    Windows repair console for either (old or new) installation. However, I
    can't do any other repair work on the 'real' install. When asking which
    instance to work on, it only presents the parallel install.

    Also, I find that if I disable the ACPI service in the console, I then
    get a different error message on boot--it gives me a Boot_device access
    error, instead of the kmode_exception_not_handled. That's just weird, in
    my mind.

    Colin

    And now for yet another update.

    It occurred to me that I buggered the device driver for the primary IDE
    channel. While I don't see any easy way of recovering that channel without
    being able to boot this system, I believe I can connect this hard drive to
    the second IDE channel, and boot from that one. Is this likely to work? Or
    am I just screwed for good here?

Motherboards Storage