good add on ATa controller

I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket bios (Honey X,
Aug/2003)
I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?
I'm looking for a low price, maybe something I could
buy used on eBay.
4 answers Last reply
More about good controller

    Tod wrote:
    > I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket bios (Honey X,
    > Aug/2003)
    > I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
    > But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
    > Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
    > Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?
    > I'm looking for a low price, maybe something I could
    > buy used on eBay.

    My PIR133 seems to work OK. $15 new.

    --
    -WD

    Tod wrote:

    > I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket
    > bios (Honey X, Aug/2003)
    > I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
    > But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
    > Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
    > Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?

    The cheapest I've seen for a new one is $13, delivered, from
    www.acortech.com (must use coupon code "FREESHIPPING" to get price).
    It uses a Silicon Image chip and supports ATA133, RAID, and 48-bit LBA
    (144 million gigabytes), and they also have a SATA controller for the
    same price (latter reviewed by Xbitlabs.com). I've ordered twice from
    Acortech got good service each time. I tested the ATA133 cards with
    IBM, Hitachi, Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital drives, master and
    slave, and they all seemed to work without problems.

    I thought that the newer BIOSes for the K7S5A Pro didn't have the 137GB
    HD size limit, meaning a PCI IDE controller won't help except with
    versions of Windows older than 2000.

    The second built in IDE channel can get weird with hard drives.
    I have my DVD and burner on the second channel.

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:sDwvd.496758$wV.201681@attbi_s54
    > The second built in IDE channel can get weird with hard drives.

    Utterly clueless.

    > I have my DVD and burner on the second channel.
    >
    > "larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Tod wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket
    > > > bios (Honey X, Aug/2003)
    > > > I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
    > > > But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
    > > > Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
    > > > Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?
    > >
    > > The cheapest I've seen for a new one is $13, delivered, from
    > > www.acortech.com (must use coupon code "FREESHIPPING" to get price).
    > > It uses a Silicon Image chip and supports ATA133, RAID, and 48-bit LBA
    > > (144 million gigabytes), and they also have a SATA controller for the
    > > same price (latter reviewed by Xbitlabs.com). I've ordered twice from
    > > Acortech got good service each time. I tested the ATA133 cards with
    > > IBM, Hitachi, Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital drives, master and
    > > slave, and they all seemed to work without problems.
    > >
    > > I thought that the newer BIOSes for the K7S5A Pro didn't have the 137GB
    > > HD size limit, meaning a PCI IDE controller won't help except with
    > > versions of Windows older than 2000.

Hardware Controller Storage