Rounded IDE cables - still no go ?

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

Remember reading about signam loss on this type ages ago but seen soem
Belkin ones
which look pretty serious

as long as they're 80wire which is 40 signal and 40 to prevent
inteference( or similar )
isnt that sufficient ?

thanks

Locutus

"zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1103029720.6742.0@lotis.uk.clara.net...
> Remember reading about signam loss on this type ages ago but seen soem
> Belkin ones
> which look pretty serious
>
> as long as they're 80wire which is 40 signal and 40 to prevent
> inteference( or similar )
> isnt that sufficient ?
>
> thanks
>

> round cables are fine
i have had no probs

i use them in all my rigs [scsi and ide] since day one
and get no probs/errors

its a myth about crosstalk and low I/O and any thing else
go for it
they are also great for circulation

"zero" wrote:
> Remember reading about signam loss on this type
> ages ago but seen soem Belkin ones which look
> pretty serious
>
> as long as they're 80wire which is 40 signal and
> 40 to prevent inteference( or similar ) isnt that
> sufficient ?

The ATA specs are very strict about limits on
total lengths and distances between connectors.
That said, I use 80-wire round cables (the kind
with the braided aluminum shielding), and
I've had no problems with them in 1 1/2 years
(that I *know* of). I use 3-connector and 2-connector
cables for my 3 ATA/133 hard drives and my DVD
and Zip drives, and I use a shielded round cable
for the floppy drive as well. Perhaps significantly,
only the DVD drive has a cable longer than the ATA
spec allows. If it weren't for the round cables,
the interior of the PC would be choked by ribbon
cables, and the ventilation would surely suffer.
If you've got mucho drives, go with round cables.
I like the ones with the braid shielding, but I really
don't know if the shielding has a significant effect.
The ones with the pull tabs on the connectors are
considerably easier to unplug than the ones
without the pull tabs. The price varies considerably
from retailer to retailer, and from time to time, so
shop around.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:03:05 -0500, "Locutus"
<Drone@Uni-MatrixOne.DeltaQuadrent> wrote:

>its a myth about crosstalk and low I/O and any thing else
>go for it
>they are also great for circulation

With most cable, they are fine. It's the cheap no name cable that
could pose issue but I have not heard of any actual issue. My PC has
them (4 total) since 5 hard drives, a DVD-ROM and DVD burner in a
small mid tower means it won't breath very well with standard flat
cable. No floppy drive so that's one less cable ;)

Locutus wrote:

> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Remember reading about signam loss on this type ages ago but seen soem
>> Belkin ones
>> which look pretty serious
>>
>> as long as they're 80wire which is 40 signal and 40 to prevent
>> inteference( or similar )
>> isnt that sufficient ?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> round cables are fine
> i have had no probs
>
> i use them in all my rigs [scsi and ide] since day one
> and get no probs/errors
>
> its a myth about crosstalk and low I/O and any thing else
> go for it
> they are also great for circulation

SCSI was designed to use round cables. Do you have test results on IDE or
are you just hoping?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Previously zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Remember reading about signam loss on this type ages ago but seen soem
> Belkin ones
> which look pretty serious

> as long as they're 80wire which is 40 signal and 40 to prevent
> inteference( or similar )
> isnt that sufficient ?

No. You get other effects as well, such as dampening and delay.
In addition crosstalk will be higher for longer cables, even
with twisted-pair. Go SATA for longer cables.

Arno

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

just thinking for once - Shuttle use normal ide flat cables but cut into
strips of
about 5 wires then concatened together , so side on :-

/\/\/\

maybe thats the best compromise

zero wrote:

> just thinking for once - Shuttle use normal ide flat cables but cut into
> strips of
> about 5 wires then concatened together , so side on :-
>
> /\/\/\
>
> maybe thats the best compromise

That's how many round cables are made. Defeats the purpose of having a
ground between each pair of signal conductors.