Maxtor hard drive with Win2K produces blue screen on Dell

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 16, 2004 8:14:45 PM

I recently picked up a Dell Optiplex GX150 less the hard drive. I
plugged in Maxtor 2.5 gig hard drive with a functioning install of
Windows 2000. As Win2K begins to boot, I get a blue screen with the
error: "Inaccessible boot device". I've gone into the setup and it
appears to be correctly identifying the hard drive. What else can I
try?
December 17, 2004 12:53:49 AM

1. Reinstall/Repair Windows 2000.
or
2. Put disk back in the original machine, add drivers for GX150, run
sysprep, move disk back to GX150.

2.5GB is a little small for Windows 2000, unless this is just an exercise.

"Mike" <nygard@mr.net> wrote in message
> I recently picked up a Dell Optiplex GX150 less the hard drive. I
> plugged in Maxtor 2.5 gig hard drive with a functioning install of
> Windows 2000. As Win2K begins to boot, I get a blue screen with the
> error: "Inaccessible boot device". I've gone into the setup and it
> appears to be correctly identifying the hard drive. What else can I
> try?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 17, 2004 7:43:30 AM

When you change the platform, Win2K/XP installation requires in-place
reinstall (repair install) to register the new drivers necessary on the boot
stage, before PNP kicks in. Otherwise it may not have the necessary drivers
on hands to access the boot volume.

!