floppy issues

hello, folks :) i have a question/concern about my floppy drive.

very recently, i was going through some of my floppies and all of a sudden,
my floppy wouldn't read them. i'd get the message "floppy not formatted" on
all floppies. i knew there was something awry. so, i replaced it with a used
floppy drive and things were fine :) then, after a few days, i got the exact
same problems with this floppy drive.

here are some weird things that maybe can help diagnose the problem:

amidst my problems, i got the "disk not formatted" message. so, i would
format it and the format would go through. i could then copy files to it
like normal. however, at a later point, the disk would not read again, and
i'd reformat it, it would work fine, and then the same problem occurred.

any suggestions? i'm assuming something is out of kilter and it's not a
physical problem with the floppy drive since both drives had the same
problem.

thanks =}
scott

"SS" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> hello, folks :) i have a question/concern about my floppy drive.
>
> very recently, i was going through some of my floppies and all of a sudden,
> my floppy wouldn't read them. i'd get the message "floppy not formatted" on
> all floppies. i knew there was something awry. so, i replaced it with a used
> floppy drive and things were fine :) then, after a few days, i got the exact
> same problems with this floppy drive.
>
> here are some weird things that maybe can help diagnose the problem:
>
> amidst my problems, i got the "disk not formatted" message. so, i would
> format it and the format would go through. i could then copy files to it
> like normal. however, at a later point, the disk would not read again, and
> i'd reformat it, it would work fine, and then the same problem occurred.
>
> any suggestions? i'm assuming something is out of kilter and it's not a
> physical problem with the floppy drive since both drives had the same
> problem.

What is the operating system you are working under? If Win 9x, then when the
"problem" shows then try "Restart computer to MS-DOS" and see if the floppy is
readable from DOS.

Regards
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities