Silicon Image vs Promise controller

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 18, 2004 7:37:11 AM

So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?
December 18, 2004 7:45:30 AM

Tod wrote:
> So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
> Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?

I think Silicon Image sold out to somebody else recently, didn't they?

FWIW, I've had better luck with SI than with Promise.

a b G Storage
December 18, 2004 7:45:31 AM

"CJT" wrote:
> Tod wrote:
>> So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
>> Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?
>>

> I think Silicon Image sold out to somebody else recently, didn't they?
>
> FWIW, I've had better luck with SI than with Promise.

I chose on the basis of the larger buffer in the SIIG controller
(256B vs. 128B), but you have to call Promise to get them to
admit to the 128B buffer size.

The SIIG card also had prettier colors. Check 'em out:
http://siig.com/product.asp?pid=437
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?p...

SIIG also seemed to have a larger endineering staff based
on the number of products offered.

But informed "option"...... na!

*TimDaniels*
a b G Storage
December 19, 2004 1:09:20 AM

Tod wrote:

> So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
> Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?

Hello, Tod:

Been using a generic, "Ultra ATA/133" PCI card (Silicon Image chipset)
with optional RAID functions, since early May. Hard disks are two
Samsung SP1614N (160GB) units (non-RAIDed), OS is Windows ME.

No real problems, thus far.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 20, 2004 2:10:11 AM

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "CJT" wrote:

> > I think Silicon Image sold out to somebody else recently, didn't
they?

> > FWIW, I've had better luck with SI than with Promise.
>

> I chose on the basis of the larger buffer in the SIIG controller
> (256B vs. 128B), but you have to call Promise to get them to
> admit to the 128B buffer size.

> SIIG also seemed to have a larger endineering staff based
> on the number of products offered.
Is SIIG now using the SI chipset instead of the Artop/Acard chipset?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 20, 2004 3:56:35 AM

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:
> Is SIIG now using the SI chipset instead of the
> Artop/Acard chipset?

Dunno. I *have* found the California tech support
staff to be knowledgeable and helpful, though. You
have to get their Silicon Valley corporate telephone
no. from their website and then call, which will get a
referral to their tech support number. It weeds out
the guys who just want to chat. If you really want to
know the chipset identity, give them a call.

*TimDaniels*
!