Silicon Image vs Promise controller

So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?
5 answers Last reply
More about silicon image promise controller

    Tod wrote:
    > So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
    > Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?

    I think Silicon Image sold out to somebody else recently, didn't they?

    FWIW, I've had better luck with SI than with Promise.

    "CJT" wrote:
    > Tod wrote:
    >> So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
    >> Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?
    >>

    > I think Silicon Image sold out to somebody else recently, didn't they?
    >
    > FWIW, I've had better luck with SI than with Promise.

    I chose on the basis of the larger buffer in the SIIG controller
    (256B vs. 128B), but you have to call Promise to get them to
    admit to the 128B buffer size.

    The SIIG card also had prettier colors. Check 'em out:
    http://siig.com/product.asp?pid=437
    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productId=87&familyId=3

    SIIG also seemed to have a larger endineering staff based
    on the number of products offered.

    But informed "option"...... na!

    *TimDaniels*

    Tod wrote:

    > So, does anyone have an informed option on which controller is better ?
    > Silicon Image PCI ATA 133 controller or Promise PCI ATA 133 controller ?

    Hello, Tod:

    Been using a generic, "Ultra ATA/133" PCI card (Silicon Image chipset)
    with optional RAID functions, since early May. Hard disks are two
    Samsung SP1614N (160GB) units (non-RAIDed), OS is Windows ME.

    No real problems, thus far.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "CJT" wrote:

    > > I think Silicon Image sold out to somebody else recently, didn't
    they?

    > > FWIW, I've had better luck with SI than with Promise.
    >

    > I chose on the basis of the larger buffer in the SIIG controller
    > (256B vs. 128B), but you have to call Promise to get them to
    > admit to the 128B buffer size.

    > SIIG also seemed to have a larger endineering staff based
    > on the number of products offered.
    Is SIIG now using the SI chipset instead of the Artop/Acard chipset?

    "larry moe 'n curly" wrote:
    > Is SIIG now using the SI chipset instead of the
    > Artop/Acard chipset?

    Dunno. I *have* found the California tech support
    staff to be knowledgeable and helpful, though. You
    have to get their Silicon Valley corporate telephone
    no. from their website and then call, which will get a
    referral to their tech support number. It weeds out
    the guys who just want to chat. If you really want to
    know the chipset identity, give them a call.

    *TimDaniels*

Hardware Controller PCI Storage