splitting a hard drive

Hello,
How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can I split it up so
each portion would contain 5 Gb each.
Thank you in advance,
Oren
6 answers Last reply
More about splitting hard drive

    OS wrote:
    > Hello,
    > How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
    > For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can I split it up so
    > each portion would contain 5 Gb each.
    > Thank you in advance,
    > Oren

    Two ways:
    - use fdisk
    - use a chainsaw

    OS <oren_sharon@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
    > For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can
    > I split it up so each portion would contain 5 Gb each.

    Any of the basic partitioning utes like Ghost, Drive Image
    or TrueImage can do that without loss of data. None of
    those are free unless you are into pirated software.

    The OS can do it for free, but that
    normally loses the data on the drive.

    Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:32k4djF3m9aupU1@individual.net...
    > OS <oren_sharon@hotmail.com> wrote

    >> How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
    >> For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can
    >> I split it up so each portion would contain 5 Gb each.

    > Any of the basic partitioning utes like Ghost, Drive Image
    > or TrueImage can do that without loss of data. None of
    > those are free unless you are into pirated software.

    Ghost as part of Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003 is dirt cheap on ebay, $5.

    Gotta be Pro, it isnt in the standard SystemWorks 2003.

    > The OS can do it for free, but that
    > normally loses the data on the drive.

    Hi,
    i got a new 120 GB seagate HDD. and now i want to create 5 partitions
    of any size i like? i did it with partition magic v7 but after 3
    partitions i found out that the total of partition sizes and
    unallocated space is less than (approx 20GB) less ...what is going
    on???
    which is the best software or method to create partitions without
    loosing space!!
    BTW i want to keep 2 os (win98 & xp)
    bye

    Aamir <aamirsq_001@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote
    in message news:41c9c756$1_2@alt.athenanews.com...

    > i got a new 120 GB seagate HDD. and now i want to create
    > 5 partitions of any size i like? i did it with partition magic v7
    > but after 3 partitions i found out that the total of partition sizes
    > and unallocated space is less than (approx 20GB) less ...
    > what is going on???

    The main reason is that the GBs that Seagate states are
    decimal GBs, 1,000,000,000 bytes and the GBs that PM
    states are binary GBs, 1,072,693,248
    bytes

    > which is the best software or method
    > to create partitions without loosing space!!

    You arent losing space.

    > BTW i want to keep 2 os (win98 & xp)

    Whts the ratio of losing free space if we create 1GB partition.

Hardware Storage Hard Drives