splitting a hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 18, 2004 11:33:15 AM

Hello,
How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can I split it up so
each portion would contain 5 Gb each.
Thank you in advance,
Oren

More about : splitting hard drive

December 18, 2004 10:34:58 PM

OS wrote:
> Hello,
> How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
> For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can I split it up so
> each portion would contain 5 Gb each.
> Thank you in advance,
> Oren

Two ways:
- use fdisk
- use a chainsaw
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 19, 2004 3:38:57 PM

OS <oren_sharon@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
> For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can
> I split it up so each portion would contain 5 Gb each.

Any of the basic partitioning utes like Ghost, Drive Image
or TrueImage can do that without loss of data. None of
those are free unless you are into pirated software.

The OS can do it for free, but that
normally loses the data on the drive.
a b G Storage
December 19, 2004 3:46:02 PM

Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:32k4djF3m9aupU1@individual.net...
> OS <oren_sharon@hotmail.com> wrote

>> How can I split a hard drive into two seperate ones?
>> For example my hard drive C contains 10 Gb, how can
>> I split it up so each portion would contain 5 Gb each.

> Any of the basic partitioning utes like Ghost, Drive Image
> or TrueImage can do that without loss of data. None of
> those are free unless you are into pirated software.

Ghost as part of Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003 is dirt cheap on ebay, $5.

Gotta be Pro, it isnt in the standard SystemWorks 2003.

> The OS can do it for free, but that
> normally loses the data on the drive.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 22, 2004 5:13:26 PM

Hi,
i got a new 120 GB seagate HDD. and now i want to create 5 partitions
of any size i like? i did it with partition magic v7 but after 3
partitions i found out that the total of partition sizes and
unallocated space is less than (approx 20GB) less ...what is going
on???
which is the best software or method to create partitions without
loosing space!!
BTW i want to keep 2 os (win98 & xp)
bye
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 23, 2004 11:25:48 AM

Aamir <aamirsq_001@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote
in message news:41c9c756$1_2@alt.athenanews.com...

> i got a new 120 GB seagate HDD. and now i want to create
> 5 partitions of any size i like? i did it with partition magic v7
> but after 3 partitions i found out that the total of partition sizes
> and unallocated space is less than (approx 20GB) less ...
> what is going on???

The main reason is that the GBs that Seagate states are
decimal GBs, 1,000,000,000 bytes and the GBs that PM
states are binary GBs, 1,072,693,248
bytes

> which is the best software or method
> to create partitions without loosing space!!

You arent losing space.

> BTW i want to keep 2 os (win98 & xp)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 1, 2005 3:05:07 AM

Whts the ratio of losing free space if we create 1GB partition.
!