Aspect Ratio problem?

Mike

Splendid

I have a new Dell 600m, running Windows XP with the ATI
Mobility Radeon 9000 video card with 32MB of RAM.

My problem is interesting and frustrating, and Dell has
no apparent fix for it.

I have only had the computer for 1 week, but have already
had to reload XP and all drivers for an unrelated problem
(the battery monitor icon and the remove hardware icon
would not appear in the system tray) - Dell hasn't been
very helpful with this new system.

The current problem is that the screen seems to think it
is a widescreen. I say this because I can move the mouse
well off to the right side of the screen and I can drag
windows way out to the right as well. Using the
touchpad, it takes about 1-1/2 full crosses to the left
for the mouse to reappear on the screen.

This is a nuisance, but I also have a problem reading
some text, and some images are blurry. While most text
and images are fine, some appear blurry, like it is being
stretched. I think this is all related.

When I maximize any window, it fills the screen
correctly, but the same text and images are blurry.

I cannot find anything that will correct this. I have
layed with all of the settings I can find, but hopefully
someone out there has an idea.

Thanks,
Mike

Return it and ask them to fix it, don't take no for an answer, you shouldn't
be doing any of this with a one week old laptop.
Graham

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a new Dell 600m, running Windows XP with the ATI
> Mobility Radeon 9000 video card with 32MB of RAM.
>
> My problem is interesting and frustrating, and Dell has
> no apparent fix for it.
>
> I have only had the computer for 1 week, but have already
> had to reload XP and all drivers for an unrelated problem
> (the battery monitor icon and the remove hardware icon
> would not appear in the system tray) - Dell hasn't been
> very helpful with this new system.
>
> The current problem is that the screen seems to think it
> is a widescreen. I say this because I can move the mouse
> well off to the right side of the screen and I can drag
> windows way out to the right as well. Using the
> touchpad, it takes about 1-1/2 full crosses to the left
> for the mouse to reappear on the screen.
>
> This is a nuisance, but I also have a problem reading
> some text, and some images are blurry. While most text
> and images are fine, some appear blurry, like it is being
> stretched. I think this is all related.
>
> When I maximize any window, it fills the screen
> correctly, but the same text and images are blurry.
>
> I cannot find anything that will correct this. I have
> layed with all of the settings I can find, but hopefully
> someone out there has an idea.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Of course I know that's the obvious answer, but I also do
business repairing other people's computers and I am
curious to find the answer to this one.

Any suggestions?

If you screw around with it, Dell will probably refuse to replace it
because you broke it.

> Of course I know that's the obvious answer, but I also do
> business repairing other people's computers and I am
> curious to find the answer to this one.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi Mike

Did you try to set the screen resolution manually to let's say 1024 x 768?

Also check if the graphics chip it set to single display mode. (just to
make sure...).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Papparotti