Sony dsc v1 vs canon g5

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 11, 2004 7:15:53 PM

Howdy,

OK, sorry to ask such a repetitive question for yall, but i'm about to get a
digital camera and need the pro's advice :)

OK, going travelling around the world so need something small but are
experience with slr photography so want something with manual options. And
of cource every penny counts for my trip so it needs to be cheep.

I've boiled it down to the sony and the cannon, the sony has the size going
for it, but has a washed out colour sensor (apparantly all the colours are
cooler when taken on the sony). The cannon however has a nice
vivid/saturated colour palet, but also suffers from bad optics cause they
sqeezed all the sensors onto the same chip as the G3 (i've read). Also the
cannon is bigger but has a faster widers lense.

The way i see it is the sony's cooler colour bias can be fixed up in
photohop later? yeah?, but the canon's lense problems can't? The size is a
big plus for the sony and i figure i can get away with a slower lense (only
f2.8 vs 2.0 for the g5 i think) and i'm prepared to give up the wide angle
lense in favour of a smaller camera in the sony. So i think the Sony wins
out hands down (also cheaper).

But is there anything you guys could add that i'm missing??

thanks heaps for any feedback, i know how many of these sorta of questions
you get :)

orfeo

ps: has anyone had any experience with the Belkin Digital Camera Link for
the iPod?? any advice?

More about : sony dsc canon

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 9:42:23 PM

Go with the camera company. The hidden features are not obvious to someboidy
not owning a dcam for years.

Check into battery life and see if Sony has shares of the battery companies.

"Orfeo" <orfeo@NOSPAMcolebatch.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> OK, sorry to ask such a repetitive question for yall, but i'm about to get
> digital camera and need the pro's advice :)
>
> OK, going travelling around the world so need something small but are
> experience with slr photography so want something with manual options. And
> of cource every penny counts for my trip so it needs to be cheep.
>
> I've boiled it down to the sony and the cannon, the sony has the size
going
> for it, but has a washed out colour sensor (apparantly all the colours are
> cooler when taken on the sony). The cannon however has a nice
> vivid/saturated colour palet, but also suffers from bad optics cause they
> sqeezed all the sensors onto the same chip as the G3 (i've read). Also the
> cannon is bigger but has a faster widers lense.
>
> The way i see it is the sony's cooler colour bias can be fixed up in
> photohop later? yeah?, but the canon's lense problems can't? The size is a
> big plus for the sony and i figure i can get away with a slower lense
(only
> f2.8 vs 2.0 for the g5 i think) and i'm prepared to give up the wide angle
> lense in favour of a smaller camera in the sony. So i think the Sony wins
> out hands down (also cheaper).
>

> But is there anything you guys could add that i'm missing??
>
> thanks heaps for any feedback, i know how many of these sorta of questions
> you get :)
>
> orfeo
>
> ps: has anyone had any experience with the Belkin Digital Camera Link for
> the iPod?? any advice?

August 12, 2004 1:09:27 PM

> Go with the camera company. The hidden features are not obvious to
someboidy
> not owning a dcam for years.

Agreed.
August 14, 2004 1:41:58 AM

Orfeo wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> OK, sorry to ask such a repetitive question for yall, but i'm about to get a
> digital camera and need the pro's advice :)
>
> I have the Sony DSC-V1 and it takes great pix, but it's awkward to
hold...............the flash is exactly where you want to hold the left
side of the camera.............other than that, I like it fine.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:04:59 PM

The v1 has one big benefit over the g5, and that's that it has less noise at
a given ISO. This is diminished by the fact that the g5 has a faster lens
and at ISO 50 is more like ISO 90, and at ISO 100 is more like ISO 180 (see
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page13.asp). However, the V1 has
two big drawbacks to it. The first is it takes memory stick, not CF. The
second is that it has no RAW mode. Get yourself a g5 and then go on ebay and
get a 4gb microdrive with a serial number ending in either 41c, 42b, or 43b
for $260, and be on your merry way...it's what I did (though I should let
you know I can't write movies to my microdrive, but that may be because I
formatted it funny).
Something to keep in mind is that with these compact dcams, ISO over 100 on
the G5 and 200 on the V1 is pretty much unacceptable.
Richard

!