Hard drive errors: Can I get some help on troubleshooting?

I added a 2nd drive with a corrupted O/S to my XP computer. I am just
trying to save the data on the 2nd HD and the computer does SEE the
drive and allows me to retrieve the data. The
error is that I see a "Primary Slave
Drive Fails" error message from the BIOS then have to proceed with F1
to then go forward booting. Have I put in an incorrect jumper setting
or I am still addressing a corrupted O/S that causes this error
message? Any suggestion on what to do? I would assume that I would
need to do some tweaking of the jumpers and I'll do that if required.
I was just happy to get access to the drive data in the first place.

From the computer I moved the hard drive with the corrupted O/S, I
installed a 200G drive but only 132G are recognized. Shoud I just try
to update the BIOS or use the utility from the HD manufacturer or some
other solution? I'm an intermediate at doing these repairs and usually
create two problems for each one I fix. That is why I'm looking for
some guidance. Thanks for your help.

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Stoney1948" <larrytstone@attbi-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I added a 2nd drive with a corrupted O/S to my XP computer. I am just
> trying to save the data on the 2nd HD and the computer does SEE the
> drive and allows me to retrieve the data. The
> error is that I see a "Primary Slave
> Drive Fails" error message

This may very well be a SMART error. You need to verify this using a tool
that can display the SMART values.

> From the computer I moved the hard drive with the corrupted O/S, I
> installed a 200G drive but only 132G are recognized. Shoud I just try
> to update the BIOS or use the utility from the HD manufacturer or some
> other solution?

You should update both the BIOS and the operating system. www.48bitlba.com
has a lot of info on the subject.

--
Kind regards,
Joep

D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
http://www.diydatarecovery.com

Please include previous correspondence!

DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.
CHK-Mate - automated CHK file analysis & recovery
HD Workbench - SMART and disk diagnostics