Corrupt video playback on second hard disk drive

I have two Western Digital disk drives, one 120GB, the
other 200GB (both ATA 100 UDMA mode5). I have verified,
with help from WD, data integrity, speed, cabling and
connectivity on both drives.

If I install WinXP on one drive and playback video located
on the other drive, the video is corrupted. This only
happens for .avi files >1MB. In all other cases (.avi
<1MB, .mpg, .wmv, or OS+video on same drive) video playback
is perfect.

To be more precise:
The 120GB has an 8MB buffer and reads at ~36MB/s.
The 200GB has a 2MB buffer and reads at ~42MB/s.
With OS on 120GB, video playback from 200GB has a moving
patchquilt of small predominantly pink squares and white
noise audio.
With OS on 200GB, video playback from 120GB is stop-frame
at about 2 frames/s and there is no sound.
The same thing happens when playing video using either
Windows Media Player or Adobe Premiere.

Does WinXP "characterize" the disk speed it is installed on
and assume the same speed for any other hard disk?

Any other suggestions?

First,in wmp9 series,open tools,options,set the players files
to that drive,by default thier kept on C: drive.2nd,go to run,type:diskmgmt.msc
In msc,L.click the slave drive,actions,select,make active.

"Bob Warren" wrote:

> I have two Western Digital disk drives, one 120GB, the
> other 200GB (both ATA 100 UDMA mode5). I have verified,
> with help from WD, data integrity, speed, cabling and
> connectivity on both drives.
>
> If I install WinXP on one drive and playback video located
> on the other drive, the video is corrupted. This only
> happens for .avi files >1MB. In all other cases (.avi
> <1MB, .mpg, .wmv, or OS+video on same drive) video playback
> is perfect.
>
> To be more precise:
> The 120GB has an 8MB buffer and reads at ~36MB/s.
> The 200GB has a 2MB buffer and reads at ~42MB/s.
> With OS on 120GB, video playback from 200GB has a moving
> patchquilt of small predominantly pink squares and white
> noise audio.
> With OS on 200GB, video playback from 120GB is stop-frame
> at about 2 frames/s and there is no sound.
> The same thing happens when playing video using either
> Windows Media Player or Adobe Premiere.
>
> Does WinXP "characterize" the disk speed it is installed on
> and assume the same speed for any other hard disk?
>
> Any other suggestions?

Andrew,

1) WMP9 file locations
"Andrew Eckricko" wrote:
> First,in wmp9 series,open tools,options,set the players files
> to that drive,by default thier kept on C: drive.
Please could you clarify, "set the players files".
Under which options tab does this setting appear?
The only tab with an option to change file locations was
was "Copy Music". Accordingly I did:
Windows Media Player 9
Tools | Options | Copy Music | Copy music to this
location F:\Temp

Please could you explain how you think this should affect
my symptoms. Remember I see the problem both in WMP9 and
in Adobe Premiere.

2) Slave Drive Active
> 2nd,go to run,type:diskmgmt.msc
> In msc,L.click the slave drive,actions,select,make active.

This is clear.
However, although I have no problem with making this drive
active, there is no corresponding to reverse this option.

Please could you explain why you think making a drive
active should have any effect on running programs? My
understanding is that it only affects booting.

3) Disk speed
My question
> Does WinXP "characterize" the disk speed it is installed on
> and assume the same speed for any other hard disk?
remains unanswered.

4) Consequence
Your suggestions make no difference at all!

BobW

BobW