General Question about External Drives

USB 1.x - Max Transfer = 12Mbps
USB 2.0 - Max Transfer = 480Mbps

Using a USB 2.0 EXTERNAL Western Digital (7200RPM), with similar specs to
the internal drive, how much slower is it if you were to connect it to a USB
1.1, for example?
2 answers Last reply
More about general question external drives

    Previously Gary <GParent@rocketmail.com> wrote:
    > USB 1.x - Max Transfer = 12Mbps
    > USB 2.0 - Max Transfer = 480Mbps

    > Using a USB 2.0 EXTERNAL Western Digital (7200RPM), with similar specs to
    > the internal drive, how much slower is it if you were to connect it to a USB
    > 1.1, for example?

    Real transfer numbers from my experience: 1.x: about 1MB/sec,
    2.0: 15MB/s. Internal, properly configured, non-raided, mostly linear
    access: 20-50MB/s, depending on the model.

    Arno

    Gary <GParent@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

    > USB 1.x - Max Transfer = 12Mbps
    > USB 2.0 - Max Transfer = 480Mbps

    > Using a USB 2.0 EXTERNAL Western Digital (7200RPM),
    > with similar specs to the internal drive, how much slower
    > is it if you were to connect it to a USB 1.1, for example?

    The short story is painfully slow.

Hardware Western Digital USB Storage