Broke power supply pin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On WD ATA 160 Gb drive. Specifically the 12v pin broke off at the base. WD
won't support it at all, or even provide parts. Just want to get info off
without spending big $ on data recovery. Is there such a thing as a
replacement wire that would fit in the hole (pin was hollow) and fit the
hole and the connector so that the disk would be powered? Would I be able to
pull the connector off an old hard drive? Sorry if this sounds stupid,
completely new to this, but I assume I can't be the first person this has
happened to.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:56:12 -0500, "x" <x@x.com> wrote:

>On WD ATA 160 Gb drive. Specifically the 12v pin broke off at the base. WD
>won't support it at all, or even provide parts. Just want to get info off
>without spending big $ on data recovery. Is there such a thing as a
>replacement wire that would fit in the hole (pin was hollow) and fit the
>hole and the connector so that the disk would be powered? Would I be able to
>pull the connector off an old hard drive? Sorry if this sounds stupid,
>completely new to this, but I assume I can't be the first person this has
>happened to.

First determine if you want to throw away the drive after
copying off the data or to reuse it. If you only want to
copy off the data you could most easily solder a temporary
jumper wire to the pad on the circuit board. If you want to
reuse the drive then you'll want to remove the old pin, from
where it broke, on back to the point on the PCB, the
entirety of the pin, then solder on a replacement in it's
place. This second option should result in it being nearly
as good as new, though if the soldering loosens up the hole
in the plastic any then you might want a dab of epoxy on the
back (circuit-board side) to reinforce it.

Primarily, take your time and observe anti-static
precautions.

Moti wrote:

> Near the connector, on the underside of the HDD, are soldering points.
> These are large enough to solder a wire. The points are marked
> (+5v,GND,GND,+12v)
.... snip ...

This is the fourth time you have posted this in about two hours.
There seems to be something seriously wrong with either your
newsreader or your practices.

"x" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:QOadnbgKGN9hEVXcRVn-iw@megapath.net...
> On WD ATA 160 Gb drive. Specifically the 12v pin broke off at the base. WD
> won't support it at all, or even provide parts. Just want to get info off
> without spending big $ on data recovery. Is there such a thing as a
> replacement wire that would fit in the hole (pin was hollow) and fit the
> hole and the connector so that the disk would be powered? Would I be able
> pull the connector off an old hard drive? Sorry if this sounds stupid,
> completely new to this, but I assume I can't be the first person this has
> happened to.

I've never examined a WD drive up close, but if it's not constructed
very differently from the other drives I've handled, it should be a
fairly simple matter. You or someone with soldering experience
could solder a short length of wire to the point on the circuit
board where the 12V pin joins it, and connect the other end of
the wire to the 12V supply line by soldering or twisting it.

Avoid touching other parts of the board, take proper precautions
against ESD and use a grounded soldering iron.