Maxtor One Touch-Retrospect changes Windows ?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

I recommended that a friend get a Maxtor one touch USB drive for
backups. It came with Dantz Retrospect.

She has Win XP Home set to Classic Windows rather than XP display.

Everytime she turns on the Maxtor, Windows changes from the Classic
display to the XP display. If she turns off the Maxtor, it changes
back...

Dantz says it's not them and Maxtor says it's not them. Maxtor told her
to plug it into someone elses' machine and see if the same thing
happens. I told her I wouldn't volunteer my machine :)

Neither company says they've ever heard of this before.

Any ideas?

Louise

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Louise wrote:
> I recommended that a friend get a Maxtor one touch USB drive for
> backups. It came with Dantz Retrospect.
>
> She has Win XP Home set to Classic Windows rather than XP display.
>
> Everytime she turns on the Maxtor, Windows changes from the Classic
> display to the XP display. If she turns off the Maxtor, it changes
> back...
>
> Dantz says it's not them and Maxtor says it's not them. Maxtor told her
> to plug it into someone elses' machine and see if the same thing
> happens. I told her I wouldn't volunteer my machine :)
>
> Neither company says they've ever heard of this before.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Louise

Gee, I'm with them. I have XP pro set to Classic Windows and have the
Maxtor one touch 80 GB drive with Retrospect. Nothing changes when I
plug it in.

Very strange. I assume no other USB device changes the setting when
they are plugged in?

The system shouldn't know anything about Retrospect when the drive gets
plugged in. Retrospect is an application that gets executed after the
drive is running.

I'll bet it won't do it on your machine.

I'll bet I have no idea why it does it on your friends machine.

John

TRENDING THREADS