Upgrade NEC Laptop HD

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 23, 2004 12:09:19 AM

We have a NEC 2780MT laptop with 3.2Gig Toshiba HD. NEC say that the
biggest drive they have tested is 4Gig, but on-line vendors offer 10Gig &
larger drives for this machine.

This laptop is a 233MX with 96Meg RAM running under Windows Me and was built
in 1998/9 so it is a bit dated. There is one updated BIOS available. Not
sure how much this will help, but will install it anyway.

I would like to just replace the existing drive with a larger one (there are
Toshiba 20/30/40,s available locally) Otherwise, I am faced with an external
drive which is not convenient.

Does anyone know what problems I might run into in installing a larger
drive?

Will I need overlay software?

Any compatibility problems with laptop sleep mode?

Should I buy an external USB enclosure, so as to make cloning the existing
drive more easy ( I could do it over our local network). Or, I could do a
100% clean install, but I don't have drivers on disk - they were all
pre-installed.

Any help appreciated

Graeme

More about : upgrade nec laptop

December 26, 2004 7:40:06 PM

Checked with local stores and they can't help - Suggest I buy drive and if
it doesn't work, take it back for a 15% re-stocking charge.

"Graeme" <nomail@allplease.com> wrote in message
> We have a NEC 2780MT laptop with 3.2Gig Toshiba HD. NEC say that the
> biggest drive they have tested is 4Gig, but on-line vendors offer 10Gig &
> larger drives for this machine.
>
> This laptop is a 233MX with 96Meg RAM running under Windows Me and was
built
> in 1998/9 so it is a bit dated. There is one updated BIOS available. Not
> sure how much this will help, but will install it anyway.
>
> I would like to just replace the existing drive with a larger one (there
are
> Toshiba 20/30/40,s available locally) Otherwise, I am faced with an
external
> drive which is not convenient.
>
> Does anyone know what problems I might run into in installing a larger
> drive?
>
> Will I need overlay software?
>
> Any compatibility problems with laptop sleep mode?
>
> Should I buy an external USB enclosure, so as to make cloning the existing
> drive more easy ( I could do it over our local network). Or, I could do a
> 100% clean install, but I don't have drivers on disk - they were all
> pre-installed.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Graeme

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 8:28:46 PM

I am not positive but am reasonably sure that the bios will not support
the drive and that you are looking at an overlay. Not that overlays are
horrible, I have used them for years, but they do introduce issues
sometime. More to the point, I would not put a penny into a machine
that old. Really, why bother? Give it or sell it to some poor soul who
can't afford anything better, and buy yourself a new one. With prices
so low these days, it probably wouldn't cost much more than the new
hard drive.

Good luck,
Irwin

Graeme wrote:
> We have a NEC 2780MT laptop with 3.2Gig Toshiba HD. NEC say that the
> biggest drive they have tested is 4Gig, but on-line vendors offer
10Gig &
> larger drives for this machine.
>
> This laptop is a 233MX with 96Meg RAM running under Windows Me and
was built
> in 1998/9 so it is a bit dated. There is one updated BIOS available.
Not
> sure how much this will help, but will install it anyway.
>
> I would like to just replace the existing drive with a larger one
(there are
> Toshiba 20/30/40,s available locally) Otherwise, I am faced with an
external
> drive which is not convenient.
>
> Does anyone know what problems I might run into in installing a
larger
> drive?
>
> Will I need overlay software?
>
> Any compatibility problems with laptop sleep mode?
>
> Should I buy an external USB enclosure, so as to make cloning the
existing
> drive more easy ( I could do it over our local network). Or, I could
do a
> 100% clean install, but I don't have drivers on disk - they were all
> pre-installed.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Graeme
December 27, 2004 3:27:54 AM

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am not positive but am reasonably sure that the bios will not support
> the drive and that you are looking at an overlay. Not that overlays are
> horrible, I have used them for years, but they do introduce issues
> sometime. More to the point, I would not put a penny into a machine
> that old. Really, why bother? Give it or sell it to some poor soul who
> can't afford anything better, and buy yourself a new one. With prices
> so low these days, it probably wouldn't cost much more than the new
> hard drive.
>
> Good luck,
> Irwin

It is an old (but well looked after) machine - New in 1999. It is well made
and all we use it for is when we travel by car or boat. It is more than
adequate as a portable internet device and we also use it for marine
navigation in conjunction with a GPS.

I have just bought a 6Gig drive on eBay - This MAY work without the overlay
software - I will find out! The local stores could not tell me where to get
overlay software for the OEM Toshiba drives they sell, so I decided to go
with the smaller unit. Total outlay will be about US$50.00 including a USB
enclosure which I will use for the upgrade and for the old drive, so I won't
go broke on this upgrade :)

Graeme
!