Upgrade NEC Laptop HD

We have a NEC 2780MT laptop with 3.2Gig Toshiba HD. NEC say that the
biggest drive they have tested is 4Gig, but on-line vendors offer 10Gig &
larger drives for this machine.

This laptop is a 233MX with 96Meg RAM running under Windows Me and was built
in 1998/9 so it is a bit dated. There is one updated BIOS available. Not
sure how much this will help, but will install it anyway.

I would like to just replace the existing drive with a larger one (there are
Toshiba 20/30/40,s available locally) Otherwise, I am faced with an external
drive which is not convenient.

Does anyone know what problems I might run into in installing a larger
drive?

Will I need overlay software?

Any compatibility problems with laptop sleep mode?

Should I buy an external USB enclosure, so as to make cloning the existing
drive more easy ( I could do it over our local network). Or, I could do a
100% clean install, but I don't have drivers on disk - they were all
pre-installed.

Any help appreciated

Graeme
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade laptop

    Checked with local stores and they can't help - Suggest I buy drive and if
    it doesn't work, take it back for a 15% re-stocking charge.

    "Graeme" <nomail@allplease.com> wrote in message
    > We have a NEC 2780MT laptop with 3.2Gig Toshiba HD. NEC say that the
    > biggest drive they have tested is 4Gig, but on-line vendors offer 10Gig &
    > larger drives for this machine.
    >
    > This laptop is a 233MX with 96Meg RAM running under Windows Me and was
    built
    > in 1998/9 so it is a bit dated. There is one updated BIOS available. Not
    > sure how much this will help, but will install it anyway.
    >
    > I would like to just replace the existing drive with a larger one (there
    are
    > Toshiba 20/30/40,s available locally) Otherwise, I am faced with an
    external
    > drive which is not convenient.
    >
    > Does anyone know what problems I might run into in installing a larger
    > drive?
    >
    > Will I need overlay software?
    >
    > Any compatibility problems with laptop sleep mode?
    >
    > Should I buy an external USB enclosure, so as to make cloning the existing
    > drive more easy ( I could do it over our local network). Or, I could do a
    > 100% clean install, but I don't have drivers on disk - they were all
    > pre-installed.
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    >
    > Graeme

    I am not positive but am reasonably sure that the bios will not support
    the drive and that you are looking at an overlay. Not that overlays are
    horrible, I have used them for years, but they do introduce issues
    sometime. More to the point, I would not put a penny into a machine
    that old. Really, why bother? Give it or sell it to some poor soul who
    can't afford anything better, and buy yourself a new one. With prices
    so low these days, it probably wouldn't cost much more than the new
    hard drive.

    Good luck,
    Irwin

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am not positive but am reasonably sure that the bios will not support
    > the drive and that you are looking at an overlay. Not that overlays are
    > horrible, I have used them for years, but they do introduce issues
    > sometime. More to the point, I would not put a penny into a machine
    > that old. Really, why bother? Give it or sell it to some poor soul who
    > can't afford anything better, and buy yourself a new one. With prices
    > so low these days, it probably wouldn't cost much more than the new
    > hard drive.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Irwin

    It is an old (but well looked after) machine - New in 1999. It is well made
    and all we use it for is when we travel by car or boat. It is more than
    adequate as a portable internet device and we also use it for marine
    navigation in conjunction with a GPS.

    I have just bought a 6Gig drive on eBay - This MAY work without the overlay
    software - I will find out! The local stores could not tell me where to get
    overlay software for the OEM Toshiba drives they sell, so I decided to go
    with the smaller unit. Total outlay will be about US$50.00 including a USB
    enclosure which I will use for the upgrade and for the old drive, so I won't
    go broke on this upgrade :)

    Graeme

Laptops NEC Storage