Western Digital's new family of cool-running HDs

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041220/lam049_1.html

Next-generation WD Caviar(R) Hard Drives Feature WhisperDrive(TM) and SoftSeek(TM) Technologies and Run Cooler, Quieter and Faster

WD claims lower temps due to lower power consumption => better reliability

*TimDaniels*
10 answers Last reply
More about western digital family cool running

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041220/lam049_1.html
    >
    > Next-generation WD Caviar(R) Hard Drives Feature WhisperDrive(TM) and
    > SoftSeek(TM) Technologies and Run Cooler, Quieter and Faster
    >
    > WD claims lower temps due to lower power consumption => better reliability
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    It's a bit hard to evaluate that claim without any spec reflecting it.

    Previously CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041220/lam049_1.html
    >>
    >> Next-generation WD Caviar(R) Hard Drives Feature WhisperDrive(TM) and
    >> SoftSeek(TM) Technologies and Run Cooler, Quieter and Faster
    >>
    >> WD claims lower temps due to lower power consumption => better reliability
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > It's a bit hard to evaluate that claim without any spec reflecting it.

    There are some specs on WDs homepage. They claim < 10W doing R/W.
    Normal is around 15W, so there seems to be some improvement. However
    the specs seem to be non-final, since the idle-power consumption is
    higher (or was when I looked) than the power consumption during R/W
    access.

    Arno

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:28:08 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >> WD claims lower temps due to lower power consumption => better reliability
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >
    >It's a bit hard to evaluate that claim without any spec reflecting it.

    Just like I can claim to invent a new design of car engine that can go
    for oh about 1,000 miles per gallon and still can pull 60 foot trailer
    even uphill. Or a computer that can operate at 1 THz (that's 1,000
    GHz) without a need for a fan or cooling system.

    Specs means nothing without an actual product to test with.

    Impmon wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:28:08 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >

    >>>WD claims lower temps due to lower power consumption => better reliability
    >>>
    >>>*TimDaniels*
    >>
    >>It's a bit hard to evaluate that claim without any spec reflecting it.
    >

    > Just like I can claim to invent a new design of car engine that can go
    > for oh about 1,000 miles per gallon and still can pull 60 foot trailer
    > even uphill. Or a computer that can operate at 1 THz (that's 1,000
    > GHz) without a need for a fan or cooling system.
    >
    > Specs means nothing without an actual product to test with.

    Reputable companies stand behind their specs. To do otherwise could
    result in a claim of false advertising, and some mighty bad press.

    But disk manufacturers (particularly WD and Maxtor) seem to be shying
    away from publishing specs (at least on their Web sites); I think
    there's a story there. I searched the WD site for any quantification
    of their "low power" claim for that new drive and found nothing. I also
    recently searched Maxtor's site for sustained transfer rates on the
    Diamondmax Plus 9 series and, again, found nothing.

    So I'm suspicious.

    Previously CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    > Impmon wrote:

    >>>It's a bit hard to evaluate that claim without any spec reflecting it.
    >>

    >> Just like I can claim to invent a new design of car engine that can go
    >> for oh about 1,000 miles per gallon and still can pull 60 foot trailer
    >> even uphill. Or a computer that can operate at 1 THz (that's 1,000
    >> GHz) without a need for a fan or cooling system.
    >>
    >> Specs means nothing without an actual product to test with.

    > Reputable companies stand behind their specs. To do otherwise could
    > result in a claim of false advertising, and some mighty bad press.

    > But disk manufacturers (particularly WD and Maxtor) seem to be shying
    > away from publishing specs (at least on their Web sites);

    Oh? So far I found full technical manuals (with pretty complete
    specs) on all Maxtor drives I have.

    > I think
    > there's a story there. I searched the WD site for any quantification
    > of their "low power" claim for that new drive and found nothing. I also
    > recently searched Maxtor's site for sustained transfer rates on the
    > Diamondmax Plus 9 series and, again, found nothing.

    Have you looked into the drive family manual? It is here:
    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/manuals/diamondmax_plus_9_manual.pdf

    > So I'm suspicious.

    Until I see the full spec and some independent reviews, I reserve
    judgement. I think suspicion is premature.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Impmon wrote:

    >>>Just like I can claim to invent a new design of car engine that can go
    >>>for oh about 1,000 miles per gallon and still can pull 60 foot trailer
    >>>even uphill. Or a computer that can operate at 1 THz (that's 1,000
    >>>GHz) without a need for a fan or cooling system.
    >>>
    >>>Specs means nothing without an actual product to test with.
    >

    >>Reputable companies stand behind their specs. To do otherwise could
    >>result in a claim of false advertising, and some mighty bad press.
    >

    >>But disk manufacturers (particularly WD and Maxtor) seem to be shying
    >>away from publishing specs (at least on their Web sites);
    >

    > Oh? So far I found full technical manuals (with pretty complete
    > specs) on all Maxtor drives I have.
    >

    >>I think
    >>there's a story there. I searched the WD site for any quantification
    >>of their "low power" claim for that new drive and found nothing. I also
    >>recently searched Maxtor's site for sustained transfer rates on the
    >>Diamondmax Plus 9 series and, again, found nothing.
    >

    > Have you looked into the drive family manual? It is here:
    > http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/manuals/diamondmax_plus_9_manual.pdf

    That does indeed seem to have the salient information.

    I wonder why it didn't show up in any of the searches I did at their site.

    >>So I'm suspicious.
    >

    > Until I see the full spec and some independent reviews, I reserve
    > judgement. I think suspicion is premature.

    Fair enough.

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Impmon wrote:

    >>>It's a bit hard to evaluate that claim without any spec reflecting it.
    >>

    >> Just like I can claim to invent a new design of car engine that can go
    >> for oh about 1,000 miles per gallon and still can pull 60 foot trailer
    >> even uphill. Or a computer that can operate at 1 THz (that's 1,000
    >> GHz) without a need for a fan or cooling system.
    >>
    >> Specs means nothing without an actual product to test with.
    >
    > Reputable companies stand behind their specs. To do otherwise could
    > result in a claim of false advertising, and some mighty bad press.

    > But disk manufacturers (particularly WD and Maxtor) seem to be shying away
    > from publishing specs (at least on their Web sites); I think there's a story
    > there.

    The only 'story' is that WD havent bothered with full manuals for years now.

    > I searched the WD site for any quantification of their "low power" claim for
    > that new drive and found nothing.

    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=59
    the electrical tab

    > I also recently searched Maxtor's site for sustained transfer rates on the
    > Diamondmax Plus 9 series and, again, found nothing.

    Full manuals online, the web site is just a bit strangely organised.

    > So I'm suspicious.

    Paranoia.

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impmon wrote:

    >>>Just like I can claim to invent a new design of car engine that can go
    >>>for oh about 1,000 miles per gallon and still can pull 60 foot trailer
    >>>even uphill. Or a computer that can operate at 1 THz (that's 1,000
    >>>GHz) without a need for a fan or cooling system.
    >>>
    >>>Specs means nothing without an actual product to test with.
    >>
    >>Reputable companies stand behind their specs. To do otherwise could
    >>result in a claim of false advertising, and some mighty bad press.
    >

    >>But disk manufacturers (particularly WD and Maxtor) seem to be shying away
    >>from publishing specs (at least on their Web sites); I think there's a story
    >>there.
    >

    > The only 'story' is that WD havent bothered with full manuals for years now.
    >

    >>I searched the WD site for any quantification of their "low power" claim for
    >>that new drive and found nothing.
    >

    > http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=59
    > the electrical tab

    OK. Guess I missed that.

    CJT wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:

    <snip>

    >> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=59
    >> the electrical tab
    >>

    > OK. Guess I missed that.

    <snip>

    Those numbers don't look very low to me.

    > CJT wrote:
    >> Rod Speed wrote:

    >>> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=59
    >>> the electrical tab

    >> OK. Guess I missed that.

    > Those numbers don't look very low to me.

    Me neither. But then I havent been saving that data, so
    its quite possible that that data is currently the data before
    the most recent change announced in the news item.

    I really just meant that they dont hide the data, its just
    not completely obvious where it is on their web site.

Western Digital Power Consumption Next Generation Storage