Q: Bytecc ME-320U2, WD2500JB, Full Capacity.

francis

Hello all. Sorry for barging in. I've got what ought to be a
simple issue: I've a Western Digital 250GB disk (WD2500JB) that
I put into a USB2.0 Bytecc enclosure (ME-320U2, ALi M5621-A1
chipset). The problem is that whatever host system I connect it
to doesn't see the size more than 128GB. I've tried formatting it
(NTFS) on a Windows 2000 laptop and an XP desktop, neither see more
than 128GB.

I'm suspecting the ALi chipset, so I'm going to try to get another
case when I get a chance. Maybe one USB/Firewire combo with the
Oxford 911 chipset. Any other suggestions I can try so the host
can access the whole 250GB?

Thanks in advance.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

In article <3307n0F3r79jlU1@individual.net>, Francis <x@y.z> wrote:
>Hello all. Sorry for barging in. I've got what ought to be a
>simple issue: I've a Western Digital 250GB disk (WD2500JB) that
>I put into a USB2.0 Bytecc enclosure (ME-320U2, ALi M5621-A1
>chipset). The problem is that whatever host system I connect it
>to doesn't see the size more than 128GB. I've tried formatting it
>(NTFS) on a Windows 2000 laptop and an XP desktop, neither see more
>than 128GB.
>
>I'm suspecting the ALi chipset, so I'm going to try to get another
>case when I get a chance. Maybe one USB/Firewire combo with the
>Oxford 911 chipset. Any other suggestions I can try so the host
>can access the whole 250GB?

Since the newer versions of the ME300 series have a big gold sticker
proclaiming support for discs up to 300GB ... it's a sure bet your problem
is the older firmware in the enclosure.

francis

Mike S. <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote:

>In article <3307n0F3r79jlU1@individual.net>, Francis <x@y.z> wrote:
>>Hello all. Sorry for barging in. I've got what ought to be a
>>simple issue: I've a Western Digital 250GB disk (WD2500JB) that
>>I put into a USB2.0 Bytecc enclosure (ME-320U2, ALi M5621-A1
>>chipset). The problem is that whatever host system I connect it
>>to doesn't see the size more than 128GB. I've tried formatting it
>>(NTFS) on a Windows 2000 laptop and an XP desktop, neither see more
>>than 128GB.
>>
>>I'm suspecting the ALi chipset, so I'm going to try to get another
>>case when I get a chance. Maybe one USB/Firewire combo with the
>>Oxford 911 chipset. Any other suggestions I can try so the host
>>can access the whole 250GB?
>
>Since the newer versions of the ME300 series have a big gold sticker
>proclaiming support for discs up to 300GB ... it's a sure bet your problem
>is the older firmware in the enclosure.

Thanks for the quick response. The enclosure's packaging box does
indeed proclaim that it supports HDs upto 300GB. But, I just found
some MS support articles about enabling 48-bit LBA support on 2000
and XP. I wasn't using the right keywords before.

So, I'm going to try these hotfixes and see what happens. I don't
think my laptop's BIOS supports 48-bit LBA. It's an old Thinkpad
600E. I may just be out of luck in this case.

Thanks again.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

francis

To follow-up my own post, I've flashed my desktop here to the latest
BIOS version, make sure the XP hotfix to enable 48-bit LBA support
is installed and driver is the correct prescribed vrsion, and
nothing. It still says the max. size is 128GB. Yes, I have checked
several times that the drive is indeed a WD2500JB (250GB).

Anyhow, I'm going to try another enclosure when I get a chance.
If someone has other suggestions on how to solve this problem so
I can format the entire 250GB, I'm all ears.

Thank you.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

It doesn't have anything to do with BIOS or XP 48 bit support. All
translation is done by the firmware in the enclosure.

Does the enclosure also have FireWire port? I've heard of some that
supported BigATA through FireWire, but did not through USB port.

"Francis" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:330msjF3obe2mU1@individual.net...
> To follow-up my own post, I've flashed my desktop here to the latest
> BIOS version, make sure the XP hotfix to enable 48-bit LBA support
> is installed and driver is the correct prescribed vrsion, and
> nothing. It still says the max. size is 128GB. Yes, I have checked
> several times that the drive is indeed a WD2500JB (250GB).
>
> Anyhow, I'm going to try another enclosure when I get a chance.
> If someone has other suggestions on how to solve this problem so
> I can format the entire 250GB, I'm all ears.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org
> |
> | echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'
> |
> | __________ ___________
> |
> | \ .'-------------------------------------------`. /
> |
> +------> | There are two secrets to success in life: |
> <------+
> /_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
> `---------------------------------------------'

francis

Alexander Grigoriev <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:
>It doesn't have anything to do with BIOS or XP 48 bit support. All
>translation is done by the firmware in the enclosure.
>
>Does the enclosure also have FireWire port? I've heard of some that
>supported BigATA through FireWire, but did not through USB port.

No, this one doesn't have a FireWire port. Although, I've got
another one that does. I've got my DVD writer in it. I'll try
putting the HD in that one and see if it works better.

Does anyone know of a USB2.0 enclosure that does support big drives?
Or, at least, the USB-to-IDE chipset?

Thanks.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

Is the hard drive jumpered correctly in the Bytecc external case ?
Master, Slave or cable select
Check the quick install guide.

"Francis" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:3307n0F3r79jlU1@individual.net...
> Hello all. Sorry for barging in. I've got what ought to be a
> simple issue: I've a Western Digital 250GB disk (WD2500JB) that
> I put into a USB2.0 Bytecc enclosure (ME-320U2, ALi M5621-A1
> chipset). The problem is that whatever host system I connect it
> to doesn't see the size more than 128GB. I've tried formatting it
> (NTFS) on a Windows 2000 laptop and an XP desktop, neither see more
> than 128GB.
>
> I'm suspecting the ALi chipset, so I'm going to try to get another
> case when I get a chance. Maybe one USB/Firewire combo with the
> Oxford 911 chipset. Any other suggestions I can try so the host
> can access the whole 250GB?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org
> |
> | echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'
> |
> | __________ ___________
> |
> | \ .'-------------------------------------------`. /
> |
> +------> | There are two secrets to success in life: |
> <------+
> /_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
> `---------------------------------------------'

francis

Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
>Is the hard drive jumpered correctly in the Bytecc external case ?
>Master, Slave or cable select
>Check the quick install guide.

I'm quite positive that it is. No jumpers as it is the only drive
on the bus.

I think, as someone's mentioned, the problem is with the ALi chipset
or the firmware that runs on it. I doubt if it's flash-updateable,
so I'll have to find another enclosure.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the Cypress Semiconductor
AT2 chipset? I see quite a few of these on eBay and all explicitly
advertise that it supports HD sizes up to ~400GB.

Thanks.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

Whether it is the only drive in the enclosure or not, the DRIVE should be
jumpered properly. For every enclosure I have, that is MASTER and the drives
came from the factory CABLE SELECT.

Although I don't think this will fix the problem.
"Francis" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:332n7cF3se03sU1@individual.net...
> Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Is the hard drive jumpered correctly in the Bytecc external case ?
>>Master, Slave or cable select
>>Check the quick install guide.
>
> I'm quite positive that it is. No jumpers as it is the only drive
> on the bus.
>
> I think, as someone's mentioned, the problem is with the ALi chipset
> or the firmware that runs on it. I doubt if it's flash-updateable,
> so I'll have to find another enclosure.
>
> Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the Cypress Semiconductor
> AT2 chipset? I see quite a few of these on eBay and all explicitly
> advertise that it supports HD sizes up to ~400GB.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org
> |
> | echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'
> |
> | __________ ___________
> |
> | \ .'-------------------------------------------`. /
> |
> +------> | There are two secrets to success in life: |
> <------+
> /_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
> `---------------------------------------------'

francis

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>Whether it is the only drive in the enclosure or not, the DRIVE should be
>jumpered properly. For every enclosure I have, that is MASTER and the drives
>came from the factory CABLE SELECT.

It indeed came CS-jumpered. The label says no jumpers if it's the
only one on the bus.

>Although I don't think this will fix the problem.

I too doubt it, but I can give it a shot.

I'm thinking of getting another enclosure with the Cypress chipset.
May be it'll work better than the ALi.

Thanks.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

I have the same Bytecc external, have not had good luck getting it to work

There are two setting for Master with Western Digital drives.
Unjumpered is master if by itself.
You might try to set the jumper as "Master w/Slave".
Sounds weird, but it might help.

"Francis" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:332n7cF3se03sU1@individual.net...
> Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Is the hard drive jumpered correctly in the Bytecc external case ?
>>Master, Slave or cable select
>>Check the quick install guide.
>
> I'm quite positive that it is. No jumpers as it is the only drive
> on the bus.
>
> I think, as someone's mentioned, the problem is with the ALi chipset
> or the firmware that runs on it. I doubt if it's flash-updateable,
> so I'll have to find another enclosure.
>
> Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the Cypress Semiconductor
> AT2 chipset? I see quite a few of these on eBay and all explicitly
> advertise that it supports HD sizes up to ~400GB.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org
> |
> | echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'
> |
> | __________ ___________
> |
> | \ .'-------------------------------------------`. /
> |
> +------> | There are two secrets to success in life: |
> <------+
> /_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
> `---------------------------------------------'

francis

Well, it's confirmed. It is the chipset. I plugged the drive into
another enclosure that uses the PROLIFIC chipset (I think) and I
can see the whole 250GB.

So, off I go to get another enclosure. (The one I tested with
houses my DVD writer.)

Thanks you all for your suggestions.
| Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
| echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
| __________ ___________ |
| \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
+------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
/_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\
`---------------------------------------------'

Besides jumpering, are you on XP Service pack 1 or higher?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <332n7cF3se03sU1@individual.net>, x@y.z says...
> Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
> >Is the hard drive jumpered correctly in the Bytecc external case ?
> >Master, Slave or cable select
> >Check the quick install guide.
>
> I'm quite positive that it is. No jumpers as it is the only drive
> on the bus.
>
> I think, as someone's mentioned, the problem is with the ALi chipset
> or the firmware that runs on it. I doubt if it's flash-updateable,
> so I'll have to find another enclosure.
>
> Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the Cypress Semiconductor
> AT2 chipset? I see quite a few of these on eBay and all explicitly
> advertise that it supports HD sizes up to ~400GB.
>
> Thanks.

shouldn't it then be jumpered to master?

Louise

francis

Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>In article <332n7cF3se03sU1@individual.net>, x@y.z says...
>> Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
>> >Is the hard drive jumpered correctly in the Bytecc external case ?
>> >Master, Slave or cable select
>> >Check the quick install guide.
>>
>> I'm quite positive that it is. No jumpers as it is the only drive
>> on the bus.
>>
>> I think, as someone's mentioned, the problem is with the ALi chipset
>> or the firmware that runs on it. I doubt if it's flash-updateable,
>> so I'll have to find another enclosure.
>>
>> Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the Cypress Semiconductor
>> AT2 chipset? I see quite a few of these on eBay and all explicitly
>> advertise that it supports HD sizes up to ~400GB.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>shouldn't it then be jumpered to master?

WD drives that I've used have basically 4 settings: single, master,
slave and cable select. If it's the only drive on the bus, then
it should be set as a single, usually by not installing any jumpers
on the relevant pins. Just for giggles, I tried jumpering it as
a master drive and it wasn't recognised by the system.

The problem was the ALi bridge chipset in the enclosure. I bought
another one that uses the Cypress AT2 and it works flawlessly. So
far. (c:

Thanks.