Windows Movie Maker will not save to AVI format

July 18, 2004 9:10:20 PM

I've created a project in WMM that I would like to burn
to a DVD on my system, which came to "Click to DVD
software. This software can only import MPG or AVI
formats.

Every time I try and save to "DV-AVI" format, the
software crashes. I tried to get around this problem by
saving as a WMF and I downloaded a trial version of
TMPGEnt ( a software that converts WMF to MPG.
I can import the MPG I conferted from the WMF format, but
it errors out each time it tries to create the DVD files.

Is there some way to export or write my project to AVI or
MPG within Windows Movie Maker? Any clues???
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 11:55:27 PM

How did you get the video on to the pc?
Which format is it in?
Also try www.papajohn.org problem solving cannot save a movie

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a project in WMM that I would like to burn
> to a DVD on my system, which came to "Click to DVD
> software. This software can only import MPG or AVI
> formats.
>
> Every time I try and save to "DV-AVI" format, the
> software crashes. I tried to get around this problem by
> saving as a WMF and I downloaded a trial version of
> TMPGEnt ( a software that converts WMF to MPG.
> I can import the MPG I conferted from the WMF format, but
> it errors out each time it tries to create the DVD files.
>
> Is there some way to export or write my project to AVI or
> MPG within Windows Movie Maker? Any clues???
July 20, 2004 3:29:36 AM

Graham,

Windows Movie Maker projects are saved as .mswmm
extension. When you are ready to save as a movie file, it
gives you an array of options for .WMV files, and
one .AVI option. Every time I try to save as a .AVI file,
the application chugs along and after about 10 minutes or
so crashes and prompts me to send an error report to
Microsoft.

My DVD authoring software (Click to DVD) will accept
either .AVI or .MPG imported clips, so needless to say I
am frustrated.

I just seperated my movie file into two parts to reduce
the size to about 4.5GB each, and it still crashes when
trying to write to .AVI format.

Any clues???

July 20, 2004 10:41:22 PM

Have you tried all the suggestions On John's site.
Have you got all other apps turned off, included in that
internet/anti-virus/firewall/screenaver etc.
Defrag before saving.
there is enough hdd space.
Graham

--
> Graham,
>
> Windows Movie Maker projects are saved as .mswmm
> extension. When you are ready to save as a movie file, it
> gives you an array of options for .WMV files, and
> one .AVI option. Every time I try to save as a .AVI file,
> the application chugs along and after about 10 minutes or
> so crashes and prompts me to send an error report to
> Microsoft.
>
> My DVD authoring software (Click to DVD) will accept
> either .AVI or .MPG imported clips, so needless to say I
> am frustrated.
>
> I just seperated my movie file into two parts to reduce
> the size to about 4.5GB each, and it still crashes when
> trying to write to .AVI format.
>
> Any clues???

July 22, 2004 1:09:08 AM

Graham,

To set the record straight and hopefully save someone
else the pain I've experienced- PLEASE READ:

1) I had to divide my 10.5GB Windows Movie Maker file
into 3 seperate files or clips in order to save all of
the information to DV-AVI format.

2) Click to DVD (a Sony DVD authoring tool taht shipped
free on my new Sony Vaio) burned the DVD but did not
record the audio- no sound. Upon exploring the Sony
support site, I quickly learned that Sony Click to DVD
DOES NOT SUPPORT Windows Movie Maker created files.

Right now I am checking reviews about new DVD authoring
tools that I can purchase.

Comment: I am more than frustrated with the
incompatibility of the bundled applications on my new
Sony computer. It is hard enough to learn basic video and
audio editing and authoring on the fly, but the
application problems and application mismatch has wasted
a great deal of my time. Shame on Sony for not eddressing
compatibility with Microsoft's native video editing
application.

Thank you and good luck!

project file

July 22, 2004 4:16:16 PM

Ureka!

I found a translator utillity out on the web that
converts AVI to MPG files. For grins, I did the
conversion and burned a DVD and it worked, audio and
everything!

So I have a work around without spending yet more money
by the use of this free utillity. I will still more than
likely purchase new DVD authoring software, but I will do
it on my terms.

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 2:45:29 AM

Randy,
With a bit of reading on papajohns site about click to dvd, it uses a
different file type to that which MM exports. If you wish you could save to
dv-avi with MM then convert from type 2 to type 1 using a convertor such as
is available free from canopus. A link to this is found on PJ's site.
You may of course wish to continue using what you have found, keep maing
those movies :)

Graham

--
Graham Hughes