ghost to USB drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 24, 2004 9:43:58 AM

I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
single FAT32 partition.

Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
that to back up a large drive?

Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive, but
PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on removable
drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be set
as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable box
in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
So, now what? Thanks for the help.

Irwin

More about : ghost usb drive

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 24, 2004 2:53:48 PM

You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily supports
Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost itself does.
"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
> save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
> single FAT32 partition.
>
> Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
> Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
> that to back up a large drive?
>
> Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive, but
> PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on removable
> drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be set
> as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable box
> in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
> So, now what? Thanks for the help.
>
> Irwin

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 24, 2004 5:50:17 PM

Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
there?

Thanks,
Irwin

Tom Scales wrote:
> You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
supports
> Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
itself does.
> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
> > save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
> > single FAT32 partition.
> >
> > Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
partitions.
> > Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
> > that to back up a large drive?
> >
> > Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
but
> > PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
removable
> > drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be
set
> > as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable
box
> > in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
> > So, now what? Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Irwin

a b G Storage
December 24, 2004 6:22:23 PM

Who wrote Guest? It sounds brain damaged.

Search for Cypress USB drivers, and put them on a DOS 7.1 or FreeDOS floppy.
That should work with FAT32.

> Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
> supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
> the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
> Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
> drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
> formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
> floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
> ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
> to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
> there?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 24, 2004 9:38:03 PM

According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.

Here are some articles that might help:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.

The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy with proper
USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for FAT32.

Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics of
research at Symantec's site.

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
> supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
> the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
> Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
> drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
> formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
> floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
> ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
> to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
> there?
>
> Thanks,
> Irwin
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
> supports
>> Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
> itself does.
>> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
>> > save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
>> > single FAT32 partition.
>> >
>> > Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
> partitions.
>> > Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
>> > that to back up a large drive?
>> >
>> > Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
> but
>> > PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
> removable
>> > drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be
> set
>> > as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable
> box
>> > in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
>> > So, now what? Thanks for the help.
>> >
>> > Irwin

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 24, 2004 11:23:33 PM

Tom,

I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also searched
extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google says
that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here. One
is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part one,
and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB port. It
is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have to
try one of them.

Happy Holiday,
Irwin

Tom Scales wrote:
> According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.
>
> Here are some articles that might help:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

> They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.
>
> The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy with
proper
> USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for
FAT32.

> Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics of
> research at Symantec's site.
>

> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
> > supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive.
Restating
> > the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
> > Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external
USB
> > drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will
be
> > formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use
the
> > floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
> > ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I
want
> > to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas
out
> > there?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Irwin
> >
> > Tom Scales wrote:
> >> You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
> > supports
> >> Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
> > itself does.
> >> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > partitions.

> > but
> > removable
> > set
> > box

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 25, 2004 12:25:40 AM

On 24 Dec 2004 06:43:58 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
>save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
>single FAT32 partition.
>
>Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
>Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
>that to back up a large drive?
>
>Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive, but
>PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on removable
>drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be set
>as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable box
>in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
>So, now what? Thanks for the help.
>
>Irwin

Does your Ghost floppy include the ohci.exe and uhci.exe drivers? IIRC,
those are what I needed the last time I sent an image over USB. Anyhow,
check out this article: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Irwin wrote:
> Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
> supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
> the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
> Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
> drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
> formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
> floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
> ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
> to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
> there?
>
> Thanks,
> Irwin
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
>> supports Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but
>> Ghost itself does. "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
>>> save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
>>> single FAT32 partition.
>>>
>>> Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
>>> partitions. Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one
>>> supposed to used that to back up a large drive?
>>>
>>> Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
>>> but PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
>>> removable drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it
>>> has to be set as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck
>>> the removable box in properties, then my computer won't see the USB
>>> drive at all. So, now what? Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> Irwin

What happens when booting from the Ghost 2003 CD (which comes as a bootable
CD-ROM), selecting the appropriate USB drivers?
So,
1. boot from the Borton Ghost 2003 CD-ROM disk directly
2. from the boot menu select either the USB 1.1 or 2.0 drivers
3. Note which drive letter is assigned to the Ghost 2003 CD-ROM drive
4. Enter

x:
cd support
ghost

x: represents the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive

5. Prepare and run the backup image process

NOTE: Make sure that the USB external drive is NOT connect to either a USB
hub or to a USB port replicator. Ghost will only support native USB ports of
the computer itself. You also may want to disable the Legacy USB support
feature in the system BIOS

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 25, 2004 11:27:19 AM

I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.

Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.

Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any
limitations.

Tom
> Tom,
>
> I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
> wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also searched
> extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google says
> that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here. One
> is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
> letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part one,
> and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
> Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB port. It
> is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
> letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
> several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have to
> try one of them.
>
> Happy Holiday,
> Irwin
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.
>>
>> Here are some articles that might help:
>>

> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...
>>

> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...
>>
>> They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.
>>
>> The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy with
> proper
>> USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for
> FAT32.
>>
>> Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics of
>> research at Symantec's site.
>>

>> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
>> > supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive.
> Restating
>> > the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
>> > Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external
> USB
>> > drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will
> be
>> > formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use
> the
>> > floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
>> > ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I
> want
>> > to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas
> out
>> > there?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Irwin

>> > supports
>> > itself does.
> not

>> > partitions.
> used

> drive,
>> > but
>> > removable
> be
>> > set
> removable
>> > box

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 25, 2004 2:14:29 PM

Irwin wrote:

> Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful.
Actually it was.
>I know that Ghost 2003
> supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
> the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
> Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32.

Not a problem as the guest.exe is an Iomega program used when ghosting
to zip drives etc.
It is not required here. as you are ghosting to USB hard drive.

>Given that most external USB
> drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
> formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
> floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
> ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
> to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
> there?
Yes.
Read Tom's posts.

> Thanks,
> Irwin
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>>You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
>
> supports
>
>>Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
>
> itself does.
>
>>"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
>>>save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
>>>single FAT32 partition.
>>>
>>>Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
>
> partitions.
>
>>>Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
>>>that to back up a large drive?
>>>
>>>Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
>
> but
>
>>>PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
>
> removable
>
>>>drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be
>
> set
>
>>>as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable
>
> box
>
>>>in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
>>>So, now what? Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>>Irwin

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 8:41:30 AM

I am using both, Ghost and Guest. Ghost 2003 when it makes the boot
diskettes makes two diskettes. The second has the ghost.exe program on
it. The first has the boot files, PC-DOS or MS-DOS whichever you
choose, a bunch of USB drivers, and the guest.exe program. The boot
files boot, the USB drivers find and identify the working USB port, and
the guest.exe program assigns a drive letter to the external drive.
Numerous usenet messages have stated that guest.exe, which is a IOMEGA
program, does not support FAT32.

IMF

Tom Scales wrote:
> I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.
>
> Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.
>
> Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any

> limitations.
>
> Tom
> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Tom,
> >
> > I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
> > wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also
searched
> > extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google
says
> > that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here.
One
> > is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
> > letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part
one,
> > and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
> > Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB
port. It
> > is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
> > letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
> > several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have
> > try one of them.
> >
> > Happy Holiday,
> > Irwin
> >
> > Tom Scales wrote:
> >> According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.
> >>
> >> Here are some articles that might help:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

> >> They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.
> >>
> >> The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy
with
> > proper
> >> USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for
> > FAT32.
> >>
> >> Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics
of
> >> research at Symantec's site.
> >>

> >> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Restating
> > USB
> > be
> > the
> > want
> > out

> > not

> > used

> > drive,
> > be
> > removable

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 8:46:04 AM

Let's put it to the members. I can't be the only person with this
issue, there are krillions of people who used Ghost. So, who has made
Ghost 2003 boot diskettes that work with an external USB hard drive
formatted as FAT32?

There has to be someone out there. And I am talking about straight
Ghost, no extra third party stuff from the outside like DUSE or Cypress
or other known USB Dos drivers. Using just Ghost 2003.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 9:12:44 AM

Tom Scales wrote:

> I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.
>
> Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.
>
> Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any
> limitations.
It appears he is using ghost and guest.exe.
guest.exe is an iomega program for use with external zip drives.
he doesnt need to use it as he is usign a usb hdd.
Therein lies his problem

> Tom
> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tom,
>>
>>I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
>>wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also searched
>>extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google says
>>that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here. One
>>is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
>>letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part one,
>>and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
>>Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB port. It
>>is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
>>letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
>>several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have to
>>try one of them.
>>
>>Happy Holiday,
>>Irwin
>>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.
>>>
>>>Here are some articles that might help:
>>>

>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...
>>

>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...
>>
>>>They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.
>>>
>>>The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy with
>>
>>proper
>>
>>>USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for
>>
>>FAT32.
>>
>>>Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics of
>>>research at Symantec's site.
>>>

>>>"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>Restating

>>USB

>>be

>>the

>>want

>>out

>>not

>>used

>>drive,

>>be

>>removable

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 9:12:45 AM

I don't think he's using Guest at all. I think he's just repeating a
typographical error.

"nemer" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.
>>
>> Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.
>>
>> Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any
>> limitations.
> It appears he is using ghost and guest.exe.
> guest.exe is an iomega program for use with external zip drives.
> he doesnt need to use it as he is usign a usb hdd.
> Therein lies his problem
>>
>> Tom
>> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Tom,
>>>
>>>I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
>>>wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also searched
>>>extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google says
>>>that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here. One
>>>is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
>>>letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part one,
>>>and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
>>>Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB port. It
>>>is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
>>>letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
>>>several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have to
>>>try one of them.
>>>
>>>Happy Holiday,
>>>Irwin

>>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...
>>>

>>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138...

>>>proper

>>>FAT32.

>>>Restating

>>>USB

>>>be

>>>the

>>>want

>>>out

>>>not

>>>used

>>>drive,

>>>be

>>>removable

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 6:06:15 PM

On 26 Dec 2004 05:41:30 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

>choose, a bunch of USB drivers, and the guest.exe program. The boot
>files boot, the USB drivers find and identify the working USB port, and
>the guest.exe program assigns a drive letter to the external drive.

To partitions, not to drive.

>Numerous usenet messages have stated that guest.exe, which is a IOMEGA
>program, does not support FAT32.

It's the contrary: guest.exe supports only FAT, and ignores NTFS
partitions.
But it doesn't matter, since ghost sees NTFS partitions without any
need of drive letters: it calls them "DiskNumber:p artitionNumber".

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Well, time to eat crow. Well, I'm not too proud to admit it.

Yes, Guest.exe does not support FAT32, but as someone else suggested,
it doesn't matter because Ghost 2003 doesn't need it for USB drives. As
was stated, it was just for Zip drives, and if there is no zip drive
there is no drive letter. Once the USB drivers load off the first
floppy, apparently the external USB drive is automatically given a
letter (silently, no message) and the Ghost loaded off the second
floppy works fine. The imaging to the USB drive (and also to CD) both
went fine.
Thanks for the help anyhow. And now, on to the next topic.......

IMF
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 27, 2004 6:15:45 AM

On 26 Dec 2004 17:33:25 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, Guest.exe does not support FAT32, but as someone else suggested,
>it doesn't matter because Ghost 2003 doesn't need it for USB drives. As
>was stated, it was just for Zip drives, and if there is no zip drive
>there is no drive letter. Once the USB drivers load off the first
>floppy, apparently the external USB drive is automatically given a
>letter (silently, no message)

My Ghost 2003 floppy behaves differently.

USB drivers only recognize the external disk, then
If there are FAT32 partitions, guest.exe assigns them drive letters;
If there are only NTFS partitions it says "No drive letters added" but
it's not a problem because NTFS partitions are seen natively from
ghost.exe.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Hello. Back to this topic, it appears to be more complicated than that,
as I have learned in the interval. It appears that the Ghost 2003
floppy will behave differently on different machines. As follows, using
the same floppy and the same external USB drive formatted with FAT32.

On machine one, older machine with USB 1.1, the Ghost 2003 floppy will
find the USB adapter and the external USB drive, and Guest.exe assigns
it a drive letter. Then Ghost will write to that drive letter. For
grins, I took guest.exe out of the autoexec.bat, and then even though
the USB driver recognizes the drive, Ghost won't see it or write to it.

On machine two, same floppy and same external drive, but is USB 2.0,
the Ghost 2003 floppy will find the USB adapter and the external USB
drive, but Guest.exe does not assign it a drive letter. Even so, Ghost
will write to it.

I'm sure this behavior makes sense to someone, but not me. However, one
can deal with it once you know what to expect, it just seems a little
unpredictable.

IMF
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 31, 2004 9:54:23 AM

Actually, my experience was different regarding guest using floppy
disks. As I mentioned above, on the one older machine with USB 1.1,
guest did assign a drive letter, and if I disabled guest, ghost
wouldn't find my USB drive.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 31, 2004 4:25:09 PM

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
> save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
> single FAT32 partition.
>
> Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
> Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
> that to back up a large drive?

I don't know if you solved this problem. In my case, I do use Ghost 2003 to
create images of my primary drive (SATA 30 GB drive, NTFS) on to my external
USB drive (200 GB Maxtor , FAT32 single partition).

I have created a bootable CDR with the following on it's boot partition
(shows up as A: drive when booting from CDR):

08/14/2002 02:03 PM 44,240 IBMBIO.COM
08/14/2002 02:03 PM 42,550 IBMDOS.COM
08/14/2002 02:03 PM 53,786 COMMAND.COM
08/14/2002 02:03 PM 37,681 MOUSE.COM
10/01/2003 02:57 PM 127 CONFIG.SYS
08/14/2002 03:03 PM 32,396 GUEST.EXE
01/25/2004 04:30 PM 24 MOUSE.INI
08/14/2002 03:03 PM 21,180 MSCDEX.EXE
08/14/2002 03:03 PM 41,302 OAKCDROM.SYS
08/14/2002 03:03 PM 37,984 ASPI8DOS.SYS
08/14/2002 03:03 PM 29,628 ASPICD.SYS
05/28/2003 05:53 PM 52,106 ASPIEHCI.SYS
10/01/2003 03:24 PM 75 AUTOEXEC.BAT

The CONGIG SYS file is:

DEVICE = aspiehci.sys /int /all
DEVICE = oakcdrom.sys /D:cd1
DEVICE = aspi8dos.sys
DEVICE = aspicd.sys /D:cd3
LASTDRIVE = Z

The AUTOEXEC.BAT file is:

SET TZ=GHO+05:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2 /D:cd3

Finally, the content of the CDR is:

01/25/2004 08:11 PM 2,048 BOOTCAT.BIN
01/25/2004 08:11 PM 1,474,560 BOOTIMG.BIN
12/17/2003 04:25 PM 330,352 GDISK.EXE
12/17/2003 03:41 PM 553,022 GDISK32.EXE
12/24/2003 09:15 AM 1,031,428 GHOST.EXE
12/17/2003 04:22 PM 180,232 GHREBOOT.EXE

Note the date, time and size of the GHOST.EXE file. This is the latest
GHOST2003 version (use Liveupdate repeatedly until it finds no updates).

By the way, GUEST is used only to assign drive letter to the drives when
booting from CDR. It is optional when using GHOST, which will find and
access all the disks and partitions that the BIOS can find.

Hope this helps.
--
Aloke
----

> Actually, my experience was different regarding guest using floppy
> disks. As I mentioned above, on the one older machine with USB 1.1,
> guest did assign a drive letter, and if I disabled guest, ghost
> wouldn't find my USB drive.

A few things to note:

The drivers for USB 1.1 controllers are different. My listings had been for
USB 2 controller.

According to Symantec e-mail, the USB drive should be connected directly to
the PC/controller card, without any hubs etc. All extra USB devices (other
than the hard disk) should be disconnected when the PC is booted up and
GHOST run.

Other things that don't affect the issue: the drives should be checked for
errors (CHKDSK) and defragged before imaging.
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 31, 2004 8:49:44 PM

On 30 Dec 2004 18:00:41 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello. Back to this topic, it appears to be more complicated than that,
>as I have learned in the interval. It appears that the Ghost 2003
>floppy will behave differently on different machines. As follows, using
>the same floppy and the same external USB drive formatted with FAT32.

I just found a strange thing on this matter (Ghost on USB).

I booted with an updated ghost 2003 floppy the following machine

IDE Pri-MA: hard disk
IDE Pri-SL: hard disk
IDE Sec-MA: hard disk
IDE Sec-SL: cd-rom

USB 2.0 enclosure: hard disk

Ghost saw only 3 disks, in detail

IDE Pri-MA and IDE Sec-MA were in their place (disk 1 and disk 3),
while Pri-SL (disk 2) was invisible, since it had been replaced with
the external one.
It didn't matter, since I had only to clone from Pri-MA to external,
but I'd like to understand what are the reasons of such a thing.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?