ghost to USB drive

I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
single FAT32 partition.

Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
that to back up a large drive?

Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive, but
PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on removable
drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be set
as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable box
in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
So, now what? Thanks for the help.

Irwin
21 answers Last reply
More about ghost drive

    You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily supports
    Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost itself does.
    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    > save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    > single FAT32 partition.
    >
    > Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
    > Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
    > that to back up a large drive?
    >
    > Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive, but
    > PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on removable
    > drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be set
    > as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable box
    > in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
    > So, now what? Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Irwin

    Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
    supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
    the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
    Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
    drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
    formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
    floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
    ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
    to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
    there?

    Thanks,
    Irwin

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
    supports
    > Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
    itself does.
    > "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    > > save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    > > single FAT32 partition.
    > >
    > > Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
    partitions.
    > > Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
    > > that to back up a large drive?
    > >
    > > Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
    but
    > > PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
    removable
    > > drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be
    set
    > > as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable
    box
    > > in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
    > > So, now what? Thanks for the help.
    > >
    > > Irwin

    Who wrote Guest? It sounds brain damaged.

    Search for Cypress USB drivers, and put them on a DOS 7.1 or FreeDOS floppy.
    That should work with FAT32.

    > Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
    > supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
    > the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
    > Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
    > drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
    > formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
    > floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
    > ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
    > to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
    > there?

    According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.

    Here are some articles that might help:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/89d1e7c0cc5534b9852569c9007cc38a?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/89d1e7c0cc5534b9852569c9007cc38a?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

    They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.

    The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy with proper
    USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for FAT32.

    Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics of
    research at Symantec's site.

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
    > supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
    > the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
    > Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
    > drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
    > formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
    > floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
    > ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
    > to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
    > there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Irwin
    >
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
    > supports
    >> Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
    > itself does.
    >> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    >> > save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    >> > single FAT32 partition.
    >> >
    >> > Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
    > partitions.
    >> > Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
    >> > that to back up a large drive?
    >> >
    >> > Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
    > but
    >> > PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
    > removable
    >> > drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be
    > set
    >> > as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable
    > box
    >> > in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
    >> > So, now what? Thanks for the help.
    >> >
    >> > Irwin

    Tom,

    I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
    wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also searched
    extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google says
    that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here. One
    is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
    letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part one,
    and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
    Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB port. It
    is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
    letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
    several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have to
    try one of them.

    Happy Holiday,
    Irwin

    On 24 Dec 2004 06:43:58 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    >save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    >single FAT32 partition.
    >
    >Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
    >Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
    >that to back up a large drive?
    >
    >Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive, but
    >PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on removable
    >drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be set
    >as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable box
    >in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
    >So, now what? Thanks for the help.
    >
    >Irwin

    Does your Ghost floppy include the ohci.exe and uhci.exe drivers? IIRC,
    those are what I needed the last time I sent an image over USB. Anyhow,
    check out this article: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Irwin wrote:
    > Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful. I know that Ghost 2003
    > supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
    > the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
    > Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32. Given that most external USB
    > drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
    > formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
    > floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
    > ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
    > to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
    > there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Irwin
    >
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
    >> supports Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but
    >> Ghost itself does. "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    >>> save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    >>> single FAT32 partition.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
    >>> partitions. Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one
    >>> supposed to used that to back up a large drive?
    >>>
    >>> Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
    >>> but PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
    >>> removable drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it
    >>> has to be set as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck
    >>> the removable box in properties, then my computer won't see the USB
    >>> drive at all. So, now what? Thanks for the help.
    >>>
    >>> Irwin

    What happens when booting from the Ghost 2003 CD (which comes as a bootable
    CD-ROM), selecting the appropriate USB drivers?
    So,
    1. boot from the Borton Ghost 2003 CD-ROM disk directly
    2. from the boot menu select either the USB 1.1 or 2.0 drivers
    3. Note which drive letter is assigned to the Ghost 2003 CD-ROM drive
    4. Enter

    x:
    cd support
    ghost

    x: represents the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive

    5. Prepare and run the backup image process

    NOTE: Make sure that the USB external drive is NOT connect to either a USB
    hub or to a USB port replicator. Ghost will only support native USB ports of
    the computer itself. You also may want to disable the Legacy USB support
    feature in the system BIOS

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.

    Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.

    Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any
    limitations.

    Tom

    Irwin wrote:

    > Thank you Tom, but that was not helpful.
    Actually it was.
    >I know that Ghost 2003
    > supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 from both floppy and hard drive. Restating
    > the issue, the problem is that the Guest.exe the floppy version of
    > Ghost 2003 uses does not support FAT 32.

    Not a problem as the guest.exe is an Iomega program used when ghosting
    to zip drives etc.
    It is not required here. as you are ghosting to USB hard drive.

    >Given that most external USB
    > drives are much bigger than 2 gb, the limit for FAT 16, most will be
    > formatted as FAT 32. What do I do then assuming that I want to use the
    > floppy DOS version of Ghost? Why do I want to use floppies, you may
    > ask? Because I have an NT box, and NT does not support USB, and I want
    > to back up the NT box to the external USB drive. Any other ideas out
    > there?
    Yes.
    Read Tom's posts.

    > Thanks,
    > Irwin
    >
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >>You mean Fat16, not Fat, but that's wrong. Ghost 2003 happily
    >
    > supports
    >
    >>Fat32. I don't know that the boot disk version does, but Ghost
    >
    > itself does.
    >
    >>"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    >>>save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    >>>single FAT32 partition.
    >>>
    >>>Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT
    >
    > partitions.
    >
    >>>Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
    >>>that to back up a large drive?
    >>>
    >>>Anyhow, I tried to use Partition Magic 8 to divide up my USB drive,
    >
    > but
    >
    >>>PM won't even see the USB drive. Apparently, PM won't work on
    >
    > removable
    >
    >>>drives. In order for the USB drive to work in windows, it has to be
    >
    > set
    >
    >>>as a removable drive in its properties. If I uncheck the removable
    >
    > box
    >
    >>>in properties, then my computer won't see the USB drive at all.
    >>>So, now what? Thanks for the help.
    >>>
    >>>Irwin

    I am using both, Ghost and Guest. Ghost 2003 when it makes the boot
    diskettes makes two diskettes. The second has the ghost.exe program on
    it. The first has the boot files, PC-DOS or MS-DOS whichever you
    choose, a bunch of USB drivers, and the guest.exe program. The boot
    files boot, the USB drivers find and identify the working USB port, and
    the guest.exe program assigns a drive letter to the external drive.
    Numerous usenet messages have stated that guest.exe, which is a IOMEGA
    program, does not support FAT32.

    IMF

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.
    >
    > Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.
    >
    > Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any

    > limitations.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Tom,
    > >
    > > I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
    > > wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also
    searched
    > > extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google
    says
    > > that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here.
    One
    > > is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
    > > letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part
    one,
    > > and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
    > > Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB
    port. It
    > > is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
    > > letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
    > > several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have
    > > try one of them.
    > >
    > > Happy Holiday,
    > > Irwin
    > >
    > > Tom Scales wrote:
    > >> According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.
    > >>
    > >> Here are some articles that might help:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/89d1e7c0cc5534b9852569c9007cc38a?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/89d1e7c0cc5534b9852569c9007cc38a?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

    > >> They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.
    > >>
    > >> The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy
    with
    > > proper
    > >> USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for
    > > FAT32.
    > >>
    > >> Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics
    of
    > >> research at Symantec's site.
    > >>

    > >> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Restating
    > > USB
    > > be
    > > the
    > > want
    > > out

    > > not

    > > used

    > > drive,
    > > be
    > > removable

    Let's put it to the members. I can't be the only person with this
    issue, there are krillions of people who used Ghost. So, who has made
    Ghost 2003 boot diskettes that work with an external USB hard drive
    formatted as FAT32?

    There has to be someone out there. And I am talking about straight
    Ghost, no extra third party stuff from the outside like DUSE or Cypress
    or other known USB Dos drivers. Using just Ghost 2003.

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > I'm confused again. Guest or Ghost. I assume you mean Ghost.
    >
    > Why not just boot the CD? I'm pretty sure it DOES support FAT32.
    >
    > Also, can you provide a link, as I cannot find on Symantec's site any
    > limitations.
    It appears he is using ghost and guest.exe.
    guest.exe is an iomega program for use with external zip drives.
    he doesnt need to use it as he is usign a usb hdd.
    Therein lies his problem

    > Tom
    > "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tom,
    >>
    >>I did not mean for you to feel bad, it is just that I think you are
    >>wrong. I did do research, and I saw those links, and I also searched
    >>extensively on Guest.exe and FAT32. Everything I saw via Google says
    >>that Guest.exe will not support FAT32. There are two issues here. One
    >>is getting the USB support going, and the other is assigning drive
    >>letters with Guest. I think you are primarily talking about part one,
    >>and I agree that with the correct drivers one can get USB started.
    >>Indeed, when the drivers are loading, they do identify the USB port. It
    >>is the second part, where guest runs but does not assign a drive
    >>letter, which I conclude is because my drive is FAT32. I did see
    >>several other USB drivers at other sites, and perhaps I will have to
    >>try one of them.
    >>
    >>Happy Holiday,
    >>Irwin
    >>
    >>Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >>>According to Symantec's knowledgebase, it is supported.
    >>>
    >>>Here are some articles that might help:
    >>>

    >>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/89d1e7c0cc5534b9852569c9007cc38a?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no
    >>

    >>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/89d1e7c0cc5534b9852569c9007cc38a?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no
    >>
    >>>They'll wrap, so you'll have to cut and paste.
    >>>
    >>>The second one has instructions on how to create a boot floppy with
    >>
    >>proper
    >>
    >>>USB support. There is no mention ANYWHERE of lack of support for
    >>
    >>FAT32.
    >>
    >>>Seems like before you would criticize me, you would do the basics of
    >>>research at Symantec's site.
    >>>

    >>>"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>Restating

    >>USB

    >>be

    >>the

    >>want

    >>out

    >>not

    >>used

    >>drive,

    >>be

    >>removable

    I don't think he's using Guest at all. I think he's just repeating a
    typographical error.

    On 26 Dec 2004 05:41:30 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >choose, a bunch of USB drivers, and the guest.exe program. The boot
    >files boot, the USB drivers find and identify the working USB port, and
    >the guest.exe program assigns a drive letter to the external drive.

    To partitions, not to drive.

    >Numerous usenet messages have stated that guest.exe, which is a IOMEGA
    >program, does not support FAT32.

    It's the contrary: guest.exe supports only FAT, and ignores NTFS
    partitions.
    But it doesn't matter, since ghost sees NTFS partitions without any
    need of drive letters: it calls them "DiskNumber:PartitionNumber".

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Well, time to eat crow. Well, I'm not too proud to admit it.

    Yes, Guest.exe does not support FAT32, but as someone else suggested,
    it doesn't matter because Ghost 2003 doesn't need it for USB drives. As
    was stated, it was just for Zip drives, and if there is no zip drive
    there is no drive letter. Once the USB drivers load off the first
    floppy, apparently the external USB drive is automatically given a
    letter (silently, no message) and the Ghost loaded off the second
    floppy works fine. The imaging to the USB drive (and also to CD) both
    went fine.
    Thanks for the help anyhow. And now, on to the next topic.......

    IMF

    On 26 Dec 2004 17:33:25 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yes, Guest.exe does not support FAT32, but as someone else suggested,
    >it doesn't matter because Ghost 2003 doesn't need it for USB drives. As
    >was stated, it was just for Zip drives, and if there is no zip drive
    >there is no drive letter. Once the USB drivers load off the first
    >floppy, apparently the external USB drive is automatically given a
    >letter (silently, no message)

    My Ghost 2003 floppy behaves differently.

    USB drivers only recognize the external disk, then
    If there are FAT32 partitions, guest.exe assigns them drive letters;
    If there are only NTFS partitions it says "No drive letters added" but
    it's not a problem because NTFS partitions are seen natively from
    ghost.exe.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Hello. Back to this topic, it appears to be more complicated than that,
    as I have learned in the interval. It appears that the Ghost 2003
    floppy will behave differently on different machines. As follows, using
    the same floppy and the same external USB drive formatted with FAT32.

    On machine one, older machine with USB 1.1, the Ghost 2003 floppy will
    find the USB adapter and the external USB drive, and Guest.exe assigns
    it a drive letter. Then Ghost will write to that drive letter. For
    grins, I took guest.exe out of the autoexec.bat, and then even though
    the USB driver recognizes the drive, Ghost won't see it or write to it.

    On machine two, same floppy and same external drive, but is USB 2.0,
    the Ghost 2003 floppy will find the USB adapter and the external USB
    drive, but Guest.exe does not assign it a drive letter. Even so, Ghost
    will write to it.

    I'm sure this behavior makes sense to someone, but not me. However, one
    can deal with it once you know what to expect, it just seems a little
    unpredictable.

    IMF
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Actually, my experience was different regarding guest using floppy
    disks. As I mentioned above, on the one older machine with USB 1.1,
    guest did assign a drive letter, and if I disabled guest, ghost
    wouldn't find my USB drive.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was surprised when I see that Ghost 2003 from boot disks will not
    > save to my external 40gb USB hard drive which came formatted as a
    > single FAT32 partition.
    >
    > Apparently, the Guest.exe that Ghost uses will only see FAT partitions.
    > Given that FAT partitions are 2 gb max, how is one supposed to used
    > that to back up a large drive?

    I don't know if you solved this problem. In my case, I do use Ghost 2003 to
    create images of my primary drive (SATA 30 GB drive, NTFS) on to my external
    USB drive (200 GB Maxtor , FAT32 single partition).

    I have created a bootable CDR with the following on it's boot partition
    (shows up as A: drive when booting from CDR):

    08/14/2002 02:03 PM 44,240 IBMBIO.COM
    08/14/2002 02:03 PM 42,550 IBMDOS.COM
    08/14/2002 02:03 PM 53,786 COMMAND.COM
    08/14/2002 02:03 PM 37,681 MOUSE.COM
    10/01/2003 02:57 PM 127 CONFIG.SYS
    08/14/2002 03:03 PM 32,396 GUEST.EXE
    01/25/2004 04:30 PM 24 MOUSE.INI
    08/14/2002 03:03 PM 21,180 MSCDEX.EXE
    08/14/2002 03:03 PM 41,302 OAKCDROM.SYS
    08/14/2002 03:03 PM 37,984 ASPI8DOS.SYS
    08/14/2002 03:03 PM 29,628 ASPICD.SYS
    05/28/2003 05:53 PM 52,106 ASPIEHCI.SYS
    10/01/2003 03:24 PM 75 AUTOEXEC.BAT

    The CONGIG SYS file is:

    DEVICE = aspiehci.sys /int /all
    DEVICE = oakcdrom.sys /D:cd1
    DEVICE = aspi8dos.sys
    DEVICE = aspicd.sys /D:cd3
    LASTDRIVE = Z

    The AUTOEXEC.BAT file is:

    SET TZ=GHO+05:00
    GUEST.EXE
    MOUSE.COM
    LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2 /D:cd3

    Finally, the content of the CDR is:

    01/25/2004 08:11 PM 2,048 BOOTCAT.BIN
    01/25/2004 08:11 PM 1,474,560 BOOTIMG.BIN
    12/17/2003 04:25 PM 330,352 GDISK.EXE
    12/17/2003 03:41 PM 553,022 GDISK32.EXE
    12/24/2003 09:15 AM 1,031,428 GHOST.EXE
    12/17/2003 04:22 PM 180,232 GHREBOOT.EXE

    Note the date, time and size of the GHOST.EXE file. This is the latest
    GHOST2003 version (use Liveupdate repeatedly until it finds no updates).

    By the way, GUEST is used only to assign drive letter to the drives when
    booting from CDR. It is optional when using GHOST, which will find and
    access all the disks and partitions that the BIOS can find.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    > Actually, my experience was different regarding guest using floppy
    > disks. As I mentioned above, on the one older machine with USB 1.1,
    > guest did assign a drive letter, and if I disabled guest, ghost
    > wouldn't find my USB drive.

    A few things to note:

    The drivers for USB 1.1 controllers are different. My listings had been for
    USB 2 controller.

    According to Symantec e-mail, the USB drive should be connected directly to
    the PC/controller card, without any hubs etc. All extra USB devices (other
    than the hard disk) should be disconnected when the PC is booted up and
    GHOST run.

    Other things that don't affect the issue: the drives should be checked for
    errors (CHKDSK) and defragged before imaging.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    On 30 Dec 2004 18:00:41 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello. Back to this topic, it appears to be more complicated than that,
    >as I have learned in the interval. It appears that the Ghost 2003
    >floppy will behave differently on different machines. As follows, using
    >the same floppy and the same external USB drive formatted with FAT32.

    I just found a strange thing on this matter (Ghost on USB).

    I booted with an updated ghost 2003 floppy the following machine

    IDE Pri-MA: hard disk
    IDE Pri-SL: hard disk
    IDE Sec-MA: hard disk
    IDE Sec-SL: cd-rom

    USB 2.0 enclosure: hard disk

    Ghost saw only 3 disks, in detail

    IDE Pri-MA and IDE Sec-MA were in their place (disk 1 and disk 3),
    while Pri-SL (disk 2) was invisible, since it had been replaced with
    the external one.
    It didn't matter, since I had only to clone from Pri-MA to external,
    but I'd like to understand what are the reasons of such a thing.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

USB Drive Storage