Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 27, 2004 1:35:16 AM

I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that could
handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the internal
heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up the vehicle
I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this sort of
application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my modded
ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 27, 2004 4:58:00 PM

Previously The Burwoods <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
> I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
> temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that could
> handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the internal
> heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up the vehicle
> I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this sort of
> application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my modded
> ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't think any commercial HDD can stand this range. There may
be militaty equipment with this range, but I doubt it. Possibly the
only choice is to add a heater that keeps the drive at or above 5C
or so. E.g. Maxtor says 5C...55C operating and 0C...60C operating without
massive impact on reliability.

On the other hand, non-operating most HDDs can stand your temperature
range. Again, Maxtor says -40C...70C storage temperature range.
Of course you have to look into the manual/datasheet of any specific
drive to be sure.

Arno
a b G Storage
December 28, 2004 10:45:33 AM

it may be possible to construct an elaborate gadget using thermometers,
a thermostat, and a compact heat/cooling source like peltier pads into
an enclosure for the drive that could bring it to an acceptable
temperature before turning on, and keep it there until it was off.
but that'd be a project for only the most die-hard geek.
a b G Storage
December 28, 2004 11:05:30 AM

it may be possible to construct an elaborate gadget using thermometers,
a thermostat, and a compact heat/cooling source like peltier pads into
an enclosure for the drive that could bring it to an acceptable
temperature before turning on, and keep it there until it was off.
but that'd be a project for only the most die-hard geek.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 28, 2004 2:33:47 PM

The Burwoods wrote:

> I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
> temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that
> could handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the
> internal heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up
> the vehicle I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this
> sort of application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my
> modded ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If that's "storage temperature" most drives on the market will handle it.
If it's "operating temperature" then you'll looking at military
hardware--google "ruggedized hard disk" and you'll find a bunch of
hits--you'll have to call for pricing and you'll want to be sitting down
when they tell you.

There are a number of fairly inexpensive 12v cooler/warmers on the market
that use the Peltier effect, some of them sized for a six-pack--one of
those should hold a couple of drives nicely. You should be able to tweak
the thermostat on one to keep your drives in their normal operating range
without too much trouble. I'd want a dual electrical system in the vehicle
though, with a separate battery for the coolers and the like so they don't
run the starting battery down.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)