Boot to recovery disk

I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal USB
CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance from experienced members.

Hardware in use:-
1. Toshiba R150 NB
2. Bootable floppy drive
3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter

Software in use:-
1. Toshiba recovery disk
2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows Explorer,
format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.
3. Add ramfd.sys, usbaspi.sys, di1000dd.sys of Motto Hairu DOS Driver to
the floppy disk making the total files as below:-.
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
DI1000DD.SYS
DISPLAY.SYS
EGA2.CPI
EGA3.CPI
EGA.CPI
IO.SYS
KEYB.COM
KEYBOARD.SYS
KEYBRD2.SYS
KEYBRD3.SYS
KEYBRD4.SYS
MODE.COM
MSDOS.SYS
RAMFD.SYS
USBASPI.SYS
4. Add following statements in the empty Config.sys file.

device=ramfd.sys
device=usbaspi.sys /r
device=di1000dd.sys

When power-on, the following message appeared:-

Starting...

RAM FD DRIVER Version 1.00
Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
Media type : 2HD - 1.44MB
Data copy completion.
Device driver installed.
ASPI for UHCI/OHCI USB mass-storage Version 1.07
Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
ID:0 LUN:0 = HP CD-Writer+ 8100 1.0g

DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
Copyright(C)2001 NOVAC C0.,Ltd.

Available ID = Not found installable device.

Microsoft(R) Windows Millennium
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

A:\>_

It seems the driver is working to recognise the HP CD-Writer. However, I
could not instruct the computer to read the files in the CD-Writer. Can
someone advise me how to make it work.

Thanks,

Ray
9 answers Last reply
More about boot recovery disk

    "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:

    > I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal USB
    > CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance from experienced members.
    >
    > Hardware in use:-
    > 1. Toshiba R150 NB
    > 2. Bootable floppy drive
    > 3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter
    >
    > Software in use:-
    > 1. Toshiba recovery disk
    > 2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows Explorer,
    > format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.

    You need CD support from DOS and the MS-DOS startup disk created by XP doesn't
    provide for that. Nor do the changes you made to the startup configuration
    file.

    Instead, get the boot floppy image from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm,
    the one labeled Windows 98 SE OEM (filename is boot98se.exe).

    Happy New Year, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Zvi,

    Thanks for your advice. I will try your suggestion but not convinced to be
    the major issue. The CD-ROM drive is USB 2.0 interface while Windows 98 SE
    must not support USB 2.0 by that time.

    Ray

    "Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal
    >> USB
    >> CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance from experienced
    >> members.
    >>
    >> Hardware in use:-
    >> 1. Toshiba R150 NB
    >> 2. Bootable floppy drive
    >> 3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter
    >>
    >> Software in use:-
    >> 1. Toshiba recovery disk
    >> 2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows
    >> Explorer,
    >> format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.
    >
    > You need CD support from DOS and the MS-DOS startup disk created by XP
    > doesn't
    > provide for that. Nor do the changes you made to the startup
    > configuration
    > file.
    >
    > Instead, get the boot floppy image from
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm,
    > the one labeled Windows 98 SE OEM (filename is boot98se.exe).
    >
    > Happy New Year, Zvi
    > --
    > NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    > InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    "Ray" <NoSpam-ray282828@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

    > Zvi,
    >
    > Thanks for your advice. I will try your suggestion but not convinced to be
    > the major issue. The CD-ROM drive is USB 2.0 interface while Windows 98 SE
    > must not support USB 2.0 by that time.

    Take a look then at http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm They offer there a few
    methods how to mount a USB CD drive from DOS boot. One of them should work for
    you.

    Regards, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Zvi,

    Many thanks for your useful information. I will try them to see any one of
    them to resolve my problem.

    > "Ray" <NoSpam-ray282828@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
    >
    >> Zvi,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your advice. I will try your suggestion but not convinced to
    >> be
    >> the major issue. The CD-ROM drive is USB 2.0 interface while Windows 98
    >> SE
    >> must not support USB 2.0 by that time.
    >
    > Take a look then at http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm They offer there a
    > few
    > methods how to mount a USB CD drive from DOS boot. One of them should
    > work for
    > you.
    >
    > Regards, Zvi
    > --
    > NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    > InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Zvi,

    I tried the DOS USB driver with Windows 98 SE but Windows 98 SE cannot read
    the NTFS file system of harddisk C:. Do you have any idea to resolve it?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    "Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <NoSpam-ray282828@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
    >
    >> Zvi,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your advice. I will try your suggestion but not convinced to
    >> be
    >> the major issue. The CD-ROM drive is USB 2.0 interface while Windows 98
    >> SE
    >> must not support USB 2.0 by that time.
    >
    > Take a look then at http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm They offer there a
    > few
    > methods how to mount a USB CD drive from DOS boot. One of them should
    > work for
    > you.
    >
    > Regards, Zvi
    > --
    > NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    > InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Get readntfs or the bootdisk from ntfs.com. It lets you browse and copy files.

    Also, findntfs from partitionsupport.com to recover a volume.

    It is much easier to create Bart's Win PE CD than configure DOS: nu2.nu .

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:56:53 -0800, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote in message
    >> Zvi,
    >>
    >> I tried the DOS USB driver with Windows 98 SE but Windows 98 SE cannot read
    >> the NTFS file system of harddisk C:. Do you have any idea to resolve it?
    >Get readntfs or the bootdisk from ntfs.com. It lets you browse and copy files.
    >
    >Also, findntfs from partitionsupport.com to recover a volume.
    >
    >It is much easier to create Bart's Win PE CD than configure DOS: nu2.nu .

    They have a free read and write NTFS DOS disk available here as well,
    although I don't know if it will work with your USB drivers:
    http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:

    > Zvi,
    >
    > I tried the DOS USB driver with Windows 98 SE but Windows 98 SE cannot read
    > the NTFS file system of harddisk C:. Do you have any idea to resolve it?

    I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. Maybe if you tried
    posting inline rather than top, then I could resolve your problem - whatever it
    is.

    Regards, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Eric,

    Thanks for your suggestion of FreeDOS bootable disk. It seems a quite
    complex DOS bootable program and provides rich features. I tried feature 1
    and 6. Feature 1 is to read the ntfs files. Feature 6 is to boot up the
    system with external USB CD-ROM drive. Unfortunately, it did not work with
    my hardware. It stuck when the booting was up to ...Scanning USB Devices
    .... If this is not the right place to discuss this software. Can you
    introduce where I should post it for assistance.

    Thanks,

    Ray

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com>
    ???????:cr1ctj2egc@enews3.newsguy.com...
    > Get readntfs or the bootdisk from ntfs.com. It lets you browse and copy
    > files.
    >
    > Also, findntfs from partitionsupport.com to recover a volume.
    >
    > It is much easier to create Bart's Win PE CD than configure DOS: nu2.nu .
    >
    > "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote in message
    >> Zvi,
    >>
    >> I tried the DOS USB driver with Windows 98 SE but Windows 98 SE cannot
    >> read
    >> the NTFS file system of harddisk C:. Do you have any idea to resolve it?

Recovery Disk Storage