Original Half Life Advice please....

Hi,

I've just reinstalled HL after years away.... I'd like to know where things
are at with it?? I don't have the computer to run HL2 so forget that.... But
whats this Steam thing?? Is Counter Strike free still?? Where can I get all
the files needed for a good bash online??

Thanks

Andy
5 answers Last reply
More about original half life advice please

    ^DragonFire_UK^ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just reinstalled HL after years away.... I'd like to know where things
    > are at with it?? I don't have the computer to run HL2 so forget that.... But
    > whats this Steam thing?? Is Counter Strike free still?? Where can I get all
    > the files needed for a good bash online??
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy

    Steam is the new content\ authentication system from Valve.
    http://www.steampowered.com
    With your original HL, you still have access to HL and Counter-Strike
    though you will need to upgrade to CS 1.6.
    You will need to install Steam and register a login name and password.
    Then you can import\convert your HL into Steam and also will allow you
    to import or download the Counter-Strike 1.6 conversion.

    HTH
    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

    Thanks very much..... Appreciate it

    Andy

    "Jethro" <me@work.now> wrote in message
    > ^DragonFire_UK^ wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've just reinstalled HL after years away.... I'd like to know where
    things
    > > are at with it?? I don't have the computer to run HL2 so forget that....
    But
    > > whats this Steam thing?? Is Counter Strike free still?? Where can I get
    all
    > > the files needed for a good bash online??
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Andy
    > >

    > Steam is the new content\ authentication system from Valve.
    > http://www.steampowered.com
    > With your original HL, you still have access to HL and Counter-Strike
    > though you will need to upgrade to CS 1.6.
    > You will need to install Steam and register a login name and password.
    > Then you can import\convert your HL into Steam and also will allow you
    > to import or download the Counter-Strike 1.6 conversion.
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    > Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

    If you don't want to play HL1 multiplayer (HLDM, CS etc) then you don't
    need Steam. Just go and install the game by itself.

    If you do want the online stuff, then you'll need to use Steam. You can
    play single player through Steam as well.

    Steam is Valve's front end for all their games. From HL2 onwards, every
    Valve game will need to Steam to install, play and patch it.

    Basically, you create an online Steam account, then register your
    Cd-Key to that account. You can now go to any PC in the world, login to
    your Steam account and play the games you have registered, downloading
    them first if necessary. To play the game you must log in to Steam
    first - all your games will then be available. You don't need to have
    the disk in the drive - your Steam login is all you need to access your
    games. If you somehow delete or damage the game files on your PC, you
    can just download them again.

    When you login to Steam, it tries to go online to authenticate you. If
    successful, it will then check for updates and patches for your games
    and will automatically downlaod and install them. If a game is being
    patched, you must wait until the update is finished before you can play
    it.

    You can avoid the above online authenticaton, by making sure you are
    not connected to the internet when you start Steam. It will then go
    into "offline mode" - you can play your games offline, but there is no
    check for updates. Obviously, this only works for single-player.

    Steam will search your PC for older Valve titles and make them
    available through its portal.

    There's a lot of debate about whether it's really necessary for a
    single-player game to require online authentication, and there are some
    bugs and annoyances in the way Steam itself works. If this post isn't
    followed by a continuation of that argument, I'd be surprised.

    I hope this explains what Steam is and how it will affect the way you
    play HL.

    I've only managed to connect to CS online once.... I seem to be unable to
    run any HL derivative at the moment... I've updated my drivers etc.... I get
    a "DHHelp error" or when I try to connect to a server or start a game
    everything just freezes up??

    I can see the idea behind Steam, but I've yet to enjoy the percieved
    benefits?? It's most frustrating... I just wanna get online and kill
    things!! ;-)

    I'm gonna try a complete format of my system and start afresh..... Hopefully
    that will work.

    Any advice in the meantime would be most appreciated

    ^DragonFire_UK^ wrote:
    > I've only managed to connect to CS online once.... I seem to be
    unable to
    > run any HL derivative at the moment... I've updated my drivers
    etc.... I get
    > a "DHHelp error" or when I try to connect to a server or start a game
    > everything just freezes up??
    >
    > I can see the idea behind Steam, but I've yet to enjoy the percieved
    > benefits?? It's most frustrating... I just wanna get online and kill
    > things!! ;-)
    >
    > I'm gonna try a complete format of my system and start afresh.....
    Hopefully
    > that will work.
    >
    > Any advice in the meantime would be most appreciated

    This has been answered in your other thread.
    In brief, try installing the latest version of Direct X (9.0c?)

Video Games