Windows 7 mp3 playback immediately and constantly stutters over LAN

michaelbuttitta

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I have multiple new-ish computers, all running windows 7 either 32 bit or 64 bit and all are various versions from home to ultimate. All have gigabit networking using jumbo frames now. I've tried streaming mp3's from Windows Home Servers (2 different ones) and Windows 2008 R2 server as a file share. I've tried windows on bare metal and windows via virtualization. I can stream multiple HUGE avi files (over 1GB each!) simultaneously with smooth playback of audio AND video, yet I can't stream a 5 MB mp3 file?!?! Same exact stuttering (literally) in WMP and Quicktime both 32bit and 64 bit players. I've scoured Google with the question asked avery way imaginable. Yes, I've made sure output has no enhancements. I've tried everything and I'm not used to not finding a solution if I look hard enough... I'll accept any advice at this point!

michaelbuttitta

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

And yes, I've randomly copied over lots of the mp3 files as a test and played them localy. This is NOT a case of the mp3 files being corrupted. They play perfeectly from a local drive, either the C: drive, D: drive, or an attached USB drive. This is definately an issue with playing mp3 specific files over a LAN

michaelbuttitta

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
No, not that set of codecs... I'll give it a shot, but I have installed Shark 007 codecs (shark007.net) Is there really any difference? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me that a codec can affect an mp3. Video yes... but plain mp3 audio?

michaelbuttitta

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
No luck. Didn't make any difference. The mp3 file's literally "jump back" maybe half a second for every 2 second it plays. It's not like it skips ahead or stops and resumes where it halts... it's like a record player skipping... the needle pops up and starts again further back in the same grove before continuing. This is just driving me nuts!