Can't play .avi files???

Mike

Splendid

I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
media player 9 series and I don't get any images in the
media player only sound. Could someone help?

I get this problem and I HAVE the codecs, explorer loads the thumbs and sound works, but no video in any player.

"Mike" wrote:

> I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
> media player 9 series and I don't get any images in the
> media player only sound. Could someone help?

Use gspot to analyse the file and find out which codec was used to make it.
Then download it.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
> media player 9 series and I don't get any images in the
> media player only sound. Could someone help?

I too have the same problem. All videos played fine until
(without installing or changing anything - at least as
far as I remember) the video window only shows a black
screen. Sound plays fine, thumbnails as well, if I drop
the file in VirtualDub it shows the video.

I reinstalled all available codecs, upgraded and updated
players, tried an restore point prior to the day the
problem started, updated video drivers and did anything I
could imagine except reinstalling windows.

The only video that plays correctly is coded with
quicktime from my digital camera.

>I get this problem and I HAVE the codecs, explorer loads
the thumbs and sound works, but no video in any player.

>"Mike" wrote:
>> I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
>> media player 9 series and I don't get any images in
the
>> media player only sound. Could someone help?

The monitor is set as the primary one isn't it?
Graham

"Spiliott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I too have the same problem. All videos played fine until
> (without installing or changing anything - at least as
> far as I remember) the video window only shows a black
> screen. Sound plays fine, thumbnails as well, if I drop
> the file in VirtualDub it shows the video.
>
> I reinstalled all available codecs, upgraded and updated
> players, tried an restore point prior to the day the
> problem started, updated video drivers and did anything I
> could imagine except reinstalling windows.
>
> The only video that plays correctly is coded with
> quicktime from my digital camera.
>
>>I get this problem and I HAVE the codecs, explorer loads
> the thumbs and sound works, but no video in any player.
>
>>"Mike" wrote:
>>> I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
>>> media player 9 series and I don't get any images in
> the
>>> media player only sound. Could someone help?

TRENDING THREADS