Can't play .avi files???

I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
media player 9 series and I don't get any images in the
media player only sound. Could someone help?
4 answers Last reply
More about play files

    I get this problem and I HAVE the codecs, explorer loads the thumbs and sound works, but no video in any player.

    "Mike" wrote:

    > I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
    > media player 9 series and I don't get any images in the
    > media player only sound. Could someone help?

    Use gspot to analyse the file and find out which codec was used to make it.
    Then download it.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
    > media player 9 series and I don't get any images in the
    > media player only sound. Could someone help?

    I too have the same problem. All videos played fine until
    (without installing or changing anything - at least as
    far as I remember) the video window only shows a black
    screen. Sound plays fine, thumbnails as well, if I drop
    the file in VirtualDub it shows the video.

    I reinstalled all available codecs, upgraded and updated
    players, tried an restore point prior to the day the
    problem started, updated video drivers and did anything I
    could imagine except reinstalling windows.

    The only video that plays correctly is coded with
    quicktime from my digital camera.

    >I get this problem and I HAVE the codecs, explorer loads
    the thumbs and sound works, but no video in any player.

    >"Mike" wrote:
    >> I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
    >> media player 9 series and I don't get any images in
    the
    >> media player only sound. Could someone help?

    The monitor is set as the primary one isn't it?
    Graham

    "Spiliott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I too have the same problem. All videos played fine until
    > (without installing or changing anything - at least as
    > far as I remember) the video window only shows a black
    > screen. Sound plays fine, thumbnails as well, if I drop
    > the file in VirtualDub it shows the video.
    >
    > I reinstalled all available codecs, upgraded and updated
    > players, tried an restore point prior to the day the
    > problem started, updated video drivers and did anything I
    > could imagine except reinstalling windows.
    >
    > The only video that plays correctly is coded with
    > quicktime from my digital camera.
    >
    >>I get this problem and I HAVE the codecs, explorer loads
    > the thumbs and sound works, but no video in any player.
    >
    >>"Mike" wrote:
    >>> I am trying to play an .avi video file on the windows
    >>> media player 9 series and I don't get any images in
    > the
    >>> media player only sound. Could someone help?

Video AVI Media Player Windows XP