How to set up JBOD

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 29, 2004 12:34:33 AM

Greetings Group,
I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
board.
My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
about.

Rexx

More about : set jbod

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 29, 2004 12:34:34 AM

Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
> Greetings Group,
> I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
> using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
> board.
> My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
> I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
> as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
> I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
> about.

JBOD is just the sectors of one after the other. Not RAID
in any meaninful way, more volume concatenation.

Maybe for more help, tell use what RAID board you actually
have, since they are not all the same...

Arno
a b G Storage
December 29, 2004 11:17:43 AM

Rexx wrote:

> Greetings Group,
> I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
> using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
> board.
> My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
> I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
> as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
> I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
> about.
>
> Rexx

Why not just bin the smaller drives and get a new 120GB drive?

Far easier, surely?

If you were local to me I would swap a fairly decent drive for your
three small drives.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Thanks Arno,
I had a feeling I could use these additional drives.I may be
wrong

My M/B is a Gigabyte GA-81RXP

Rexx

On 28 Dec 2004 14:20:52 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
>> Greetings Group,
>> I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
>> using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
>> board.
>> My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
>> I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
>> as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
>> I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
>> about.
>
>JBOD is just the sectors of one after the other. Not RAID
>in any meaninful way, more volume concatenation.
>
>Maybe for more help, tell use what RAID board you actually
>have, since they are not all the same...
>
>Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 31, 2004 3:35:37 AM

Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
> Thanks Arno,
> I had a feeling I could use these additional drives.I may be
> wrong

> My M/B is a Gigabyte GA-81RXP

Well, you can combine the two additional disks into one volume
as JBOD, but I would advise to use them individually, since then,
wen one breaks the data on the otehr is unaffected. In both
cases you should be able to connect the additional disks
to IDE3/4 in any way. One on each channel (as master) is
a bit faster, but for a non-RAID configuration it hardly
matters. For JBOD you the need to configure this in the
RAID-BIOS which should show during start-up (I think).
For use as individual disks, ypu probably just need to partition
them and create a filesystem on the partitions.

Arno