How to set up JBOD

Greetings Group,
I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
board.
My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
about.

Rexx
4 answers Last reply
More about jbod

    Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
    > Greetings Group,
    > I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
    > using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
    > board.
    > My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
    > I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
    > as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
    > I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
    > about.

    JBOD is just the sectors of one after the other. Not RAID
    in any meaninful way, more volume concatenation.

    Maybe for more help, tell use what RAID board you actually
    have, since they are not all the same...

    Arno

    Rexx wrote:

    > Greetings Group,
    > I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
    > using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
    > board.
    > My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
    > I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
    > as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
    > I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
    > about.
    >
    > Rexx

    Why not just bin the smaller drives and get a new 120GB drive?

    Far easier, surely?

    If you were local to me I would swap a fairly decent drive for your
    three small drives.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Thanks Arno,
    I had a feeling I could use these additional drives.I may be
    wrong

    My M/B is a Gigabyte GA-81RXP

    Rexx

    On 28 Dec 2004 14:20:52 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
    >> Greetings Group,
    >> I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
    >> using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
    >> board.
    >> My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
    >> I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
    >> as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
    >> I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
    >> about.
    >
    >JBOD is just the sectors of one after the other. Not RAID
    >in any meaninful way, more volume concatenation.
    >
    >Maybe for more help, tell use what RAID board you actually
    >have, since they are not all the same...
    >
    >Arno

    Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
    > Thanks Arno,
    > I had a feeling I could use these additional drives.I may be
    > wrong

    > My M/B is a Gigabyte GA-81RXP

    Well, you can combine the two additional disks into one volume
    as JBOD, but I would advise to use them individually, since then,
    wen one breaks the data on the otehr is unaffected. In both
    cases you should be able to connect the additional disks
    to IDE3/4 in any way. One on each channel (as master) is
    a bit faster, but for a non-RAID configuration it hardly
    matters. For JBOD you the need to configure this in the
    RAID-BIOS which should show during start-up (I think).
    For use as individual disks, ypu probably just need to partition
    them and create a filesystem on the partitions.

    Arno

    > Rexx

    > On 28 Dec 2004 14:20:52 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >>Previously Rexx <Rexx@aol.com> wrote:
    >>> Greetings Group,
    >>> I have 4 HD's (40,8,10,10) & at the moment I am only
    >>> using 2 because I'm not quite sure how to set up the 4 with my RAID
    >>> board.
    >>> My 2 HD's are set up as Master/ Slave just like my 2 CD /DVD players.
    >>> I have my 3rd &4th HD's in removable caddies (but not plugged in )
    >>> as Master connected to IDE3 &IDE4. Is this correct.?
    >>> I have looked for info on JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) but not much
    >>> about.
    >>
    >>JBOD is just the sectors of one after the other. Not RAID
    >>in any meaninful way, more volume concatenation.
    >>
    >>Maybe for more help, tell use what RAID board you actually
    >>have, since they are not all the same...
    >>
    >>Arno

HD Storage