Highest External Storage Capacity for ThinkPad R40?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

This will be the final post on my problem of video editing with my
laptop! Since it's running a Pentium M, what's the largest HD
reasonable for this machine?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about highest external storage capacity thinkpad
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    mutefan@yahoo.com writes:
    > This will be the final post on my problem of video editing with my
    > laptop! Since it's running a Pentium M, what's the largest HD
    > reasonable for this machine?

    The cpu is irrelevant. You can add as much external capacity as you
    want.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > The cpu is irrelevant. You can add as much external capacity as you
    > want.

    Thank you. Next-to-final-final question: Another poster on this group
    cites an ALi issue when using non-proprietary external HDs with a
    ThinkPad. If you have any insights into this (at this ungodly hour),
    I'd appreciate hearing them.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    mutefan@yahoo.com writes:
    > Thank you. Next-to-final-final question: Another poster on this group
    > cites an ALi issue when using non-proprietary external HDs with a
    > ThinkPad. If you have any insights into this (at this ungodly hour),
    > I'd appreciate hearing them.

    The idea of an external disk is you use a usb2 or firewire interface.
    The chipset's ATA interface doesn't come into play.

    You can get 100 gb internal laptop disk drives these days. That
    should be enough for reasonable video editing tasks too.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > mutefan@yahoo.com writes:
    >> Thank you. Next-to-final-final question: Another poster on this group
    >> cites an ALi issue when using non-proprietary external HDs with a
    >> ThinkPad. If you have any insights into this (at this ungodly hour),
    >> I'd appreciate hearing them.
    >
    > The idea of an external disk is you use a usb2 or firewire interface.
    > The chipset's ATA interface doesn't come into play.
    >
    > You can get 100 gb internal laptop disk drives these days. That
    > should be enough for reasonable video editing tasks too.

    Or for 40 bucks you can get an external SATA enclosure and for another 30 or
    so a Cardbus SATA host adapter, that gives you access to drives up to 400
    gig.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
    >mutefan@yahoo.com writes:
    >> Thank you. Next-to-final-final question: Another poster on this group
    >> cites an ALi issue when using non-proprietary external HDs with a
    >> ThinkPad. If you have any insights into this (at this ungodly hour),
    >> I'd appreciate hearing them.
    >
    >The idea of an external disk is you use a usb2 or firewire interface.
    >The chipset's ATA interface doesn't come into play.

    He's correct. I assume you (i.e., mutefan) was referring to my
    posts. Paul is correct, the TP's ATA chipset doesn't come into
    play when it comes to external storage.

    The problem with ALi chipsets that I referred to is with the
    USB-to-IDE bridge chipset on the enclosure itself and the USB2.0
    interface chipset on the PCMCIA/cardbus card.

    Sorry for not being clearer.

    HTH.

    >You can get 100 gb internal laptop disk drives these days. That
    >should be enough for reasonable video editing tasks too.
    | Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
    | echo "senapvf@serrfuryy.bet" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |
    | __________ ___________ |
    | \ .'-------------------------------------------`. / |
    +------> | There are two secrets to success in life: | <------+
    /_______| 1. Never tell any one everything you know. |________\

    But--even given the truism that HD capacity has no correlation to CPU
    or memory--would a 400 gig drive be of any use to a laptop running a
    Pentium M?

    Would there be a lot of difficulty for a functioning moron to install a
    host adapter?

    (OT, I think I asked you this once before, but were you at SUNY
    Binghamton or IBM in the early 80's?)

Laptops External Storage Storage