how do i completely erase my hard disk

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I have a pentium II computer with 7.89 GB of storage that my kids use to
surf the web and any time it is turned on then It says that the the computer
has only less that 200 megabytes of storage and that it needs more than that
inorder for the computer to function effeciently.
I want to know if I can fully erase all of the data stored on the computer
without deleting any of windows components. I also want to know if erasing
the hard drive would cause the computer to have problems.

Thanks
Paddy
8 answers Last reply
More about completely erase hard disk
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Paddy wrote:
    > I have a pentium II computer with 7.89 GB of storage that my kids use to
    > surf the web and any time it is turned on then It says that the the computer
    > has only less that 200 megabytes of storage and that it needs more than that
    > inorder for the computer to function effeciently.
    > I want to know if I can fully erase all of the data stored on the computer
    > without deleting any of windows components. I also want to know if erasing
    > the hard drive would cause the computer to have problems.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paddy
    >
    >

    Well, since the OS is stored on the HD, completely erasing the HD will
    make the PC unbootable. Erasing the data files will not affect the OS,
    but you need to know which files are data and which are OS -- then
    delete the unwanted data files.

    If you can boot up the OS and the OS is XP, then run Explorer, right-click
    on the C: HD, the click on Properties, then click on DiskCleanup. That
    may lead you to a few items you can easily and safely remove. Next, fire
    up the browser and delete its temp files; if you use IE, click on Tools,
    then on InternetOptions, then DeleteFiles (and DeleteAllOfflineContent)
    and ClearHistory. That should get a bunch of space back.
    --
    Cheers, Bob
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I have done that several times but nothing happened to the Hard Disk
    Storage.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Deleting data will not cause problems.
    deleting programs will cause problems.

    "Paddy" <paddysiaw2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:txhAd.21723$h.12110@trnddc04...
    >I have a pentium II computer with 7.89 GB of storage that my kids use to
    > surf the web and any time it is turned on then It says that the the
    > computer
    > has only less that 200 megabytes of storage and that it needs more than
    > that
    > inorder for the computer to function effeciently.
    > I want to know if I can fully erase all of the data stored on the computer
    > without deleting any of windows components. I also want to know if erasing
    > the hard drive would cause the computer to have problems.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paddy
    >
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Paddy wrote:
    > I have done that several times but nothing happened to the Hard Disk
    > Storage.
    >
    >

    If the quick fixes don't help, then you must decide -- file by file or,
    at least, folder by folder -- what you can safely delete.

    To be safe, don't actually delete files about which you are unsure;
    instead, move them to some folder like \TempTrash\ and see if your
    PC still works -- if it does, then you can delete them; else, move
    them back to the original home. If you use XP (without Norton and its
    ilk), this is what really happens when you click on a file/folder and
    then hit the Delete button -- it is a "soft delete" that you can take
    back. And now that you know what Delete really does (under XP), you
    may have the explanation for why deleting a bunch of stuff does not
    increase available space on your HD: you need to right-click on the
    RecycleBin, then click on Empty to make the files actually go away.
    --
    Cheers, Bob
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Paddy" <paddysiaw2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:LGiAd.18642$_62.14907@trnddc01...
    >I have done that several times but nothing happened to the Hard Disk
    > Storage.

    Let your fingers do the walking. Shop around, find a bigger HDD. For an
    ATA66 for a
    P2, somebody will probably give you one.
    Good Luck
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    This is an info

    WINDOWS operating system will not defrag and prompt error message when
    the disk is 85% full regarding of its operating system.

    :idea:
  7. You can delete your data with the use of format command. But deleted data can be recovered by use of data recovery software which is not safe. So you should use drive wipe software to erase data.
    Deleting data can create problem because it leave some space in HDD after deletion and cause computer slow. To get rid from this problem you must defragment your drive.
    You can get it here http://www.drive-wipe.com
    Hope it helps
  8. fred21 said:
    You can delete your data with the use of format command. But deleted data can be recovered by use of data recovery software which is not safe. So you should use drive wipe software to erase data.
    Deleting data can create problem because it leave some space in HDD after deletion and cause computer slow. To get rid from this problem you must defragment your drive.
    You can get it here http://www.drive-wipe.com
    Hope it helps


    Before you reply to a thread, you need to briefly look at the dates. This thread is over 3 1/2 years old ... it's highly unlikely that the original poster is even still around, and he certainly no longer has his Pentium II with a full 8 GB hard drive as a problem that still needs fixing.

    Do not become Necromancer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Storage Hard Drives