Problem with Media Centre TV

Hello

I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition with a TV tuner.
I've set up the TV through Media Centre to take a signal
from the main arial. As far as I can tell (and I've
checked several times) all the right wires are in the
right places. The TV has only tuned three of the available
5 terrestrial channels, and only in black and white, and
without sound. I can't find any information about retuning
in any of the guides online, so I'm stumped.

The hardware was bought in the US but I live in the UK.
Could the hardware be incompatible with the UK signal, or
is there a way for me to tune the TV correctly? The signal
is not particularly strong in my area, but I've hooked it
up through a booster to no effect.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark
email: markjefferson_uk(remove this bit)@yahoo.co.uk
2 answers Last reply
More about problem media centre

    You may be better posing this in the media centre newsgroup. I'd add more
    info on the products you have as well. I'm not sure if hardware is region
    specific on these items, but a ntsc signal tried to be played back on a
    older pal tv often comes out in B/W. Then again, so does a composite signal
    via a s-video cable. I wouldn't have thought either of these would make a
    difference on a pc set up though.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition with a TV tuner.
    > I've set up the TV through Media Centre to take a signal
    > from the main arial. As far as I can tell (and I've
    > checked several times) all the right wires are in the
    > right places. The TV has only tuned three of the available
    > 5 terrestrial channels, and only in black and white, and
    > without sound. I can't find any information about retuning
    > in any of the guides online, so I'm stumped.
    >
    > The hardware was bought in the US but I live in the UK.
    > Could the hardware be incompatible with the UK signal, or
    > is there a way for me to tune the TV correctly? The signal
    > is not particularly strong in my area, but I've hooked it
    > up through a booster to no effect.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Mark
    > email: markjefferson_uk(remove this bit)@yahoo.co.uk

    Hi Mark
    The hardware could be the black and white problem. Certainly with the common
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR tuners that are often used in Media Center PC's there is
    a separate NTSC and PAL/SECAM version with minor hardware changes. Very few
    cards support all standards.

    If you know the model number of the card in your system it might be worth
    checking with the manufacture that it supports PAL. If you've switched the
    system location to United Kingdom in Control Panel > Regional and Language
    Options that I think that should be enough to tell Media Center 2004 its
    running in a PAL country.

    If your using the recommended line-up the first 5 channels may not be
    correct, have you tried any of the channel variations which could be in
    channels 6 to 12?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555161

    Mark

    "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition with a TV tuner.
    > I've set up the TV through Media Centre to take a signal
    > from the main arial. As far as I can tell (and I've
    > checked several times) all the right wires are in the
    > right places. The TV has only tuned three of the available
    > 5 terrestrial channels, and only in black and white, and
    > without sound. I can't find any information about retuning
    > in any of the guides online, so I'm stumped.
    >
    > The hardware was bought in the US but I live in the UK.
    > Could the hardware be incompatible with the UK signal, or
    > is there a way for me to tune the TV correctly? The signal
    > is not particularly strong in my area, but I've hooked it
    > up through a booster to no effect.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Mark
    > email: markjefferson_uk(remove this bit)@yahoo.co.uk