Rambus Loses 7-year Patent Battle Against Micron, Hynix

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Let that be a lesson for anyone out there that wants to release a memory module that performs ever so slightly better than the competition for 3 times the price.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]and amd are using this for their new vid cards............ AMD is making a lot of bad moves lately.[/citation]
If the 7970 is priced about the same at launch (~$400) then i wouldn't call it a bad move as supposedly this type of memory increases bandwidth by 50% over gddr5 and consumes 30% less power. So if these things hold true we might see rambus coming back into relevence in the memory sector.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Exactly what Pentium3 compatible motherboards supported RDRAM??? The only boards I've ever seen support it were all for Pentium4 processors....

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]and amd are using this for their new vid cards............ AMD is making a lot of bad moves lately.[/citation]
Rumors say AMD is using XDR....not RDRAM....

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
RDRAM was crazy price. And the ram companies did nothing to lower costs. the technology was not a prioity compared to other technoligies. Due to the high price, intel was forced to move to PC133/DDR.

So I can see why RAMBUS would be pissed.

THere is no reason RDRAM was so expensive to buy. RAM companies just didn't give a crap and didn't care to manufacture enough to reduce costs. If you think about it, they had Itel pushing the technology. ANd if Intel cannot push the technology then you know something is wrong.

They had a good opportunity, and wind was taken from their sails.

RAMBUS turned evil after this.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
It wouldn't of been bad if RDRAM took off when it did, then prices for faster DDR would of been cheaper. I remember DDR being limited to 400, and there was special grade OCZ stuff. Well if RDAM took off, I am sure ram would of been DDR500/DDR600, and DDR2 would of been pushed faster. It was not until DDR3 that ram speeds starting to go crazy, meanwhile crappy ram at slower speeds was still being pushed. RAM speeds did need a kick in the ass back then

felix666

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Do the oldest ones remember Cirrus Logic doing graphics chips? They were hot back in 1994. At about the same time as Intel and the P3, they released a new line of graphics chips with integrated 3D processor, using Rambus ram instead of the then-hot EDO ram. The chip was a total flop, nothing close to the projected performance expectations. Single-pixel ops were not efficient. Too much latency. They made a version of this same graphics chip but using SDRAM. It worked much better, but it was too late, their oem customers had moved to other chip manufacturers. Cirrus Logic nearly died.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
That's what they get. RDRAM was hideously expensive at the time, due in no small part to Ramdass' license fees. If they were smart, they would have dropped the fee a bit more to bring the price in line with performance. Instead, they thought they were hot stuff, and not they pay the price.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing Rambus' CEO, Board, and other high level executives have to explain to their families why they can't get that second yacht now.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]That's what they get. RDRAM was hideously expensive at the time, due in no small part to Ramdass' license fees. If they were smart, they would have dropped the fee a bit more to bring the price in line with performance. Instead, they thought they were hot stuff, and not they pay the price. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing Rambus' CEO, Board, and other high level executives have to explain to their families why they can't get that second yacht now.[/citation]

Actually, the price had almost NOTHING to do with licensing fees. They just had a terrible time making PC800. Eventually, it proved superior to DDR, and cost the same, but by then the reputation was so bad, it died. When they were both out, RDRAM outperformed DDR on the Pentium 4.

Ironically, when RDRAM was very expensive, and for a processor that couldn't effectively use it (although the i840 worked well), Intel was pushing RDRAM. When RDRAM prices finally fell so they were the same as DDR, and it had a processor that could use it, Intel walked away from it. Weird.

This news isn't the end off of this. Rambus will appeal it, and the next result could be different. If you can get RMBS very cheap, it's a very good stock to own.

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Exactly what Pentium3 compatible motherboards supported RDRAM??? The only boards I've ever seen support it were all for Pentium4 processors....Rumors say AMD is using XDR....not RDRAM....[/citation]

Off the top of my head, the intel branded VC820 motherboard supported rdram for Slot 1 PIII processors. I had one paired with an 866mhz p3, still have it stuck in a closet somewhere, but the memory was stupid expensive and had to be used in pairs or with terminator cards for any empty slots. I believe Intel also released a dual socket workstation board based on the same chipset if I remember right.

rambus was right to sue for price fixing, but the patent trolling that followed was bad.
when rdram came out it seemed SO bad, price-performance wise. i remember opting for a ddr supporting mobo instead of rdram supporting mobo after reading rdram reviews. i don't regret that one bit (i do regret buying a space heater tho') :)

G

OMFG justice was served in a US court. Unbelievable. I am happy on this ruling.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Exactly what Pentium3 compatible motherboards supported RDRAM??? The only boards I've ever seen support it were all for Pentium4 processors....Rumors say AMD is using XDR....not RDRAM....[/citation]

Intel i820 chipsets for P3 were designed for RDRAM, but most came with the Memory Translator Hub to use PC100 SDRAM. But due to a bug in the MTH and the high cost of RDRAM the i820 was short lived. i815pe was the intel chipset to have for P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS